REV. C. HANKO
Adopted for use in the Protestant Reformed Churches
by the Synod of 1961
This is the last in the series of three books treating the stories of the Bible for children from the ages of six to eight years. The first two books covered the history found in the Old Testament, while this book treats the history recorded in the New Testament.
As much as possible the same lesson divisions are used in this book as in the New Testament for Juniors, so that both of these books can be used in one class, if the age range should require this.
Each lesson treats only a certain phase of the history rather than entering into detail on all the events. The teacher should use his own discretion in determining how much other material should be included in the discussions in the classroom.
May our covenant God use this material for the instruction and spiritual edification of our covenant children. In Him alone is our expectation.
John the Baptist
1. Who was the forerunner of Jesus?
John the Baptist.
2. Who were Johns parents?
Zacharias and Elisabeth.
3. Who told Zacharias that John would be born?
The angel Gabriel.
4. What was Zacharias doing when the angel came to him?
He was offering incense in the temple.
5. Did Zacharias believe the angel?
No, for both he and Elisabeth were very old.
6. What happened to him because he did not believe?
He became deaf and dumb.
7. How long did Zacharias remain dumb?
Until John was born.
8. What did Zacharias do when he could speak again?
He praised God for the coming of the Savior.
9. Why was John called the Baptist?
Because he preached and baptized.
Memory verse: "Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me."
1. Who is your Savior?
Jesus, the Son of God.
2. Who was Jesus mother?
The virgin Mary.
3. Who told Mary that Jesus would be born?
The angel Gabriel.
4. Where was Jesus born?
In Bethlehem, the city of David.
5. Was Jesus born in great riches and honor?
No, He was born in a cattle stall.
6. To whom did angels tell of Jesus birth?
To shepherds who were watching their flocks at night.
7. Did the shepherds believe the angels?
Yes, and they went to Bethlehem to see the Babe.
8. Who else were told of Jesus birth?
Wisemen, from the East, who saw His star.
9. What did the wisemen do when they found Jesus?
They worshiped Him and brought Him gifts.
Memory verse: "For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, which is Christ, the Lord." Luke 2:11===========
Jesus Early Life On Earth
Matthew 2, Luke 2
1. Who wanted to kill Jesus?
Wicked king Herod.
2. How did Herod try to kill Jesus?
He killed all the babies of Bethlehem.
3. How did Jesus escape?
His parents fled with Him to Egypt.
4. How long did they stay in Egypt?
Until Herod was dead.
5. How old was Jesus when His parents took Him to the temple?
He was twelve years old.
6. What did Jesus do when Joseph and Mary went home?
He stayed behind in the temple.
7. What was Jesus doing when His parents found Him?
He was talking to the teachers.
8. What did Jesus tell His parents?
"Wist ye not that I must be about my Fathers business?"
9. What does the Bible tell us about Jesus boyhood?
That He always obeyed His parents.
Memory verse: "And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him." Luke 2:40
John the Baptist Preaches
1. Where did John the Baptist preach?
In the wilderness near the Jordan River.
2. How was John dressed?
He wore a coat of camels hair.
3. What did John eat?
He ate locusts and wild honey.
4. What did John tell the people?
To repent of their sins.
5. What did John do to those who repented?
He baptized them in the Jordan River.
6. Who came to John while he was preaching?
Jesus came to be baptized by John.
7. What did John tell His disciples to do?
To follow Jesus.
8. What happened to John?
Herod put him into prison.
9. How did John die?
Herod beheaded him in prison.
Memory verse: "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29
Jesus Is Baptized and Tempted
Matthew 3, 4
1. How old was Jesus when He began to teach?
He was thirty years old.
2. Where did Jesus go first?
To John to be baptized by him.
3. What happened when Jesus was baptized?
The Holy Spirit came upon Him in the form of a dove.
4. What did the voice from heaven say?
"This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
5. Where did the Spirit lead Jesus after He was baptized?
Into the wilderness to be tempted.
6. How long was Jesus in the wilderness?
He was there forty days and forty nights without food.
7. Who came to Jesus after forty days?
Satan came to tempt Him three times.
8. What did Jesus answer him?
"Get thee behind me, Satan."
9. Did Jesus ever sin?
No, He could not sin, for He was the Son of God.
Memory verse: "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve." Luke 4:8
Jesus Begins to Teach
1. What work did Jesus do?
He went about teaching and preaching.
2. What did Jesus teach?
That He was the promised Savior.
3. How did He show that He was the Savior?
By many mighty miracles.
4. Where did Jesus perform His first miracle?
At a wedding feast in Cana.
5. What was the first miracle?
He changed water into wine.
6. Why did Jesus go to Jeru~salem?
He went to keep the Passover.
7. What did Jesus do when He came into the temple?
He drove the buyers and sellers out of the temple.
8. Did the Jews believe in Him?
No, many were angry with Him.
9. Were His disciples angry also?
No, they and many others believed He was the Christ.
Memory verse: "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will build it up." John 2:19===========
Jesus Goes Through Samaria
John 3, 4
1. Who came to Jesus at night?
Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
2. What did Jesus say about the way of salvation?
That we must be born again to believe in Jesus.
3. What did He tell Nicodemus about Himself?
That God sent His Son to be our Savior.
4. What way did Jesus take from Jerusalem to Galilee?
He went through Samaria.
5. Whom did Jesus meet in Samaria?
A woman at Jacobs well.
6. What did Jesus make plain to this woman?
That she was a sinner.
7. Of what did Jesus speak to her?
Of the water of life.
8. Who could give her that water of life?
Jesus Himself, because He was the promised Savior.
9. Did she believe in Him?
Yes, and many others did also.
Memory verse: "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." John 4:24
Jesus in Galilee
Luke 4, 5
1. What second miracle did Jesus perform in Cana?
He healed the son of the nobleman.
2. Why was this such a great miracle?
The son was sick in Capernaum.
3. Did the nobleman believe in Jesus?
Yes, he and his family believed.
4. What did Jesus do in Nazareth?
Jesus taught the people.
5. What did Jesus show them from the prophets?
That He was the promised Christ.
6. Did the people believe Him?
No, they tried to kill Him.
7. How did the people try to kill Him?
They tried to push Him off a cliff.
8. How did Jesus escape from them?
He passed through the midst of them.
Memory verse: "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Luke 5:32==========
Jesus Heals on the Sabbath Day
1. Why did Jesus leave Galilee?
To keep a feast at Jerusalem.
2. Where did Jesus go on the Sabbath day?
He went to the pool of Bethesda.
3. What did He find at the pool?
Many sick people waiting at the pool.
4. For what were they waiting?
For an angel to come and stir the water.
5. What happened when the water was stirred?
The first one in the pool was healed of his sickness.
6. To whom did Jesus speak at the pool?
To a lame man who had no one to help him into the water.
7. What did Jesus tell the lame man to do?
Jesus told him to take up his bed and walk.
8. Did the Jews believe in Jesus when they saw this man was healed?
No, they were angry with Jesus.
9. Why were the Jews angry?
Because He healed the man on the Sabbath day.
Memory verse: "Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath." Mark 2:28===========
Jesus at the Sea of Galilee
Luke 7, 8
1. What happened when the disciples crossed the Sea of Galilee?
A great storm arose on the sea.
2. Where was Jesus when the storm arose?
He was lying asleep in the boat.
3. Were the disciples afraid?
Yes, they thought they would drown.
4. What did Jesus do when the disciples awakened Him?
He commanded the sea to be calm.
5. Who met Jesus on the other side of the sea?
Two men who were possessed with devils.
6. What did Jesus command these spirits to do?
To come out of these men.
7. Where did Jesus allow them to go?
Into a herd of swine.
8. What happened to the swine?
They were drowned in the sea.
9. Did the people believe in Jesus then?
No, they asked Him to leave their country.
Memory verse: "What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!" Matthew 8:27 b===========
The People Want to Make Jesus Their King
1. What miracle did Jesus perform near Capernaum?
He fed five thousand men, besides women and children.
2. Why was this such a great miracle?
Because He had only five loaves of bread and two fishes.
3. Was there still some food left?
Yes, there were twelve baskets full.
4. Where did Jesus go after this miracle?
He went into a mountain to pray.
5. Where did Jesus send His disciples?
He sent them to cross the sea alone.
6. What happened while the disciples crossed the sea?
A terrible storm arose.
7. Did Jesus come to help them?
Yes, He walked to them on the water.
8. What did the people want to do at this time?
The people wanted to make Jesus their king.
9. Was He willing to be their king?
No, for His kingdom is heavenly.
10. Were the people angry with Him?
Yes, many followed Him no more.
Memory verse: "Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." John 6:68
Jesus on the Mount
Matthew 16, 17
1. What did Jesus begin to tell His disciples?
That He must suffer and die.
2. What else did He tell them?
That He would arise again from the dead.
3. Where did Jesus go with three of His disciples?
He went to a mountain to pray.
4. Which three disciples were with Him?
Peter, James, and John.
5. What happened on the mountain?
The disciples saw Jesus in His heavenly glory.
6. Who appeared with Jesus there?
Moses and Elijah, who spoke with Him.
7. What did they speak about?
About His death and resurrection.
8. What did the voice from heaven say?
"This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him."
9. What great miracle did Jesus perform when He came from the mountain?
He healed a boy that had a devil.
Memory verse: "And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." Matthew 16:16==========
Jesus at Jerusalem
John 8, 9
1. Who met Jesus on the way to Jerusalem?
Ten lepers, who asked Jesus to heal them.
2. Did Jesus heal these ten lepers?
Yes, they were healed as they went to the priest.
3. How many came back to thank Jesus?
Only one, and he was a Samaritan.
4. How did the Jews in Jerusalem show that they hated Jesus?
They took up stones to kill Him.
5. Why could the Jews not stone Him?
He was gone from their sight.
6. Whom did Jesus heal in Jerusalem?
A man who was born blind.
7. Why were the Jews angry about this?
Because they hated Jesus.
8. Why did the Jews say that He could not be the Christ?
Because He healed a man on the Sabbath day.
9. Did the man who was healed believe in Jesus?
Yes, and he worshiped Jesus.
Memory verse: "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36===========
Lazarus Raised from the Dead
1. Where did Jesus often stay?
At the home of Mary and Martha.
2. Where did Mary and Martha live?
In Bethany, near Jerusalem.
3. What was their brothers name?
4. What happened to Lazarus one day?
He became sick.
5. Why did his sisters send for Jesus?
They called Jesus to come and heal Lazarus.
6. Did Jesus come at once?
No, He waited until Lazarus had died.
7. What did He do when He came?
Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.
8. Why was this such a great miracle?
Because Lazarus was dead four days.
9. Did the wicked Jews believe in Jesus then?
No, they sought the more to kill Him.
Memory verse: "I am the resurrection and the life." John 11:25===========
On the Way to Jerusalem
Luke 19, John 12
1. What did Jesus tell His disciples at this time?
That He would suffer and die in Jerusalem.
2. Whom did He meet as He came near Jericho?
He met a blind beggar sitting by the way.
3. What did this blind beggar call to Jesus?
"Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me."
4. Did Jesus have mercy on him?
Yes, He made him see.
5. Whom else did Jesus meet in Jericho?
Zacchaeus, who climbed a tree to see Jesus.
6. What did Jesus say to him?
"Come down, for today I must abide at thy house."
7. Were the rest of the people angry about this?
Yes, because they called Zacchaeus a sinner.
8. What took place in Bethany?
Mary anointed His feet with precious ointment.
9. Why did Mary anoint Jesus?
Because she believed that He would arise from the dead.
Memory verse: "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:10=========
Jesus About to Die
1. Where did Jesus go on Sunday?
He went to Jerusalem.
2. How did Jesus ride into Jerusalem?
He rode on a colt.
3. What did the people shout?
"Hosanna to the Son of David."
4. What did the people expect at this time?
That now Jesus would become their king.
5. What did Jesus do on Monday?
He drove the buyers and sellers from the temple.
6. Did He perform any miracles?
Yes, He healed the blind and the lame in the temple.
7. What did Jesus do on Tuesday?
He taught the people for the last time.
8. Where did Judas go on Wednesday?
Judas went to the chief priests to betray Jesus.
9. How much money did the priests give to Judas?
Thirty pieces of silver.
Memory verse: "Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." Matthew 21:9==========
1. Where did Jesus keep the Passover feast?
In an upper room with His disciples.
2. What was the first thing that Jesus did when they came into the upper room?
He washed His disciples feet.
3. What did Jesus tell them at the feast?
"One of you shall betray me."
4. What did Jesus say to Judas?
"That thou doest, do quickly."
5. What did Jesus pray in Gethsemane?
"If it be possible, let this cup pass from me."
6. Could the disciples stay awake with Him?
No, they slept while Jesus prayed.
7. Who came to Gethsemane to find Jesus?
Judas, with a large band of soldiers.
8. Did they take Jesus?
Yes, because He gave Himself up willingly.
9. What sin did Peter commit that night?
He denied Jesus three times.
Memory verse: "This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many." Mark 14:24==========
1. How did Jesus die?
Jesus died on the cross.
2. When was Jesus nailed to the cross?
At nine oclock on Friday.
3. Who were crucified with Jesus?
4. What did the one thief say to Jesus?
"Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom."
5. What did Jesus answer him?
"Today thou shalt be with me in paradise."
6. What happened at noon?
It became dark for three hours.
7. What did Jesus cry out at the end of the darkness?
"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
8. Who buried Jesus?
Joseph and Nicodemus buried Him.
9. Why did Jesus die?
To save us from our sins.
Memory verse: "I lay down my life for my sheep." John 10:15==========
Jesus Arises from the Dead
1. Did Jesus remain in the grave?
No, He arose on the third day.
2. Who came to show that Jesus was risen?
An angel, who rolled the stone away from the grave.
3. What did the guards do when they saw the angel?
They became very afraid and ran away.
4. Who came to the grave early in the morning?
Women who loved Jesus.
5. What did the angel tell the women?
"He is not here; for he is risen."
6. Who was the first one to see Jesus?
Mary Magdalene, who saw Him at the grave.
7. Did she know Jesus?
No, she thought He was the gardener.
8. When did Mary know Him?
When He called her by her name.
9. Did Jesus appear to others also?
Yes, to His disciples and many others.
Memory verse: "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept."
I Corinthians 15:20==========
The Holy Spirit Poured Out
1. When did Jesus ascend to heaven?
Forty days after He arose.
2. Who saw Him ascend?
The disciples saw Him taken up in the cloud.
3. What did Jesus tell His disciples before He ascended?
He told them to wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit.
4. When was the Holy Spirit poured out?
5. Upon whom was the Spirit poured out?
On the 120 believers.
6. With what sign did the Spirit come?
There was a sound as of a mighty, rushing wind.
7. What other sign was there?
There were tongues as of fire on each of them.
8. What did the Spirit give the disciples power to do?
To speak in different tongues.
9. What did the disciples speak about?
They spoke of the mighty works of God.
Memory verse: "I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh." Joel 2:28==========
The Lame Man Healed in the Temple
1. Whom did Peter and John meet at the gate of the temple?
A beggar who was lame for forty years.
2. What did Peter say to the beggar?
"In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk."
3. Could the beggar do this at the word of Peter?
Yes, he leaped about, praising God.
4. What did the rulers of the Jews do to Peter and John because they preached about Jesus?
They put them into prison.
5. What did the rulers of the Jews command Peter and John?
They commanded them not to speak in the name of Jesus.
6. What was the answer of Peter and John?
That they could not help but preach about Jesus.
7. What happened when all the apostles were put into prison?
An angel opened the prison doors and brought them out.
8. Where did the rulers find the apostles the next morning?
In the temple teaching the people.
9. How did the apostles suffer for Christs sake?
They were beaten before they were let go.
Memory verse: "We ought to obey God rather than men." Acts 5:29==========
The Church Spreads Outside of Jerusalem
1. Who was Stephen?
A deacon in the church.
2. How did Stephen suffer for the name of Jesus?
He was stoned to death by the Jews.
3. Where did the Spirit send Philip?
To meet a man from Ethiopia who was reading Isaiah.
4. What did Philip explain to him?
That Isaiah was speaking of the suffering of Jesus.
5. Was the man glad to hear about Jesus?
Yes, he believed and was baptized.
6. What vision did Peter see?
A vision of animals let down in a sheet.
7. What did the voice from heaven tell Peter to do?
"Arise, Peter, kill and eat."
8. What did the vision mean for Peter?
That he must preach to Cornelius, who was a Gentile.
9. What happened when Peter preached to Cornelius?
Cornelius and his whole house believed.
Memory verse: "What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." Acts 10:15==========
Pauls First Missionary Journey
Acts 9, 13, 14
1. Who watched while Stephen was stoned?
Saul, who later was called Paul.
2. Why did Saul go to Damascus?
To persecute the Christians there.
3. Who appeared to Paul on the way?
Jesus, who said, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?"
4. To what did God call Paul?
God called him to be an apostle to the Gentiles.
5. Who went along with Paul to preach?
Barnabas went with him.
6. What happened in Antioch?
The Jews put Paul and Barnabas out of the city.
7. Whom did Paul heal in Lystra?
A lame man.
8. What did the people think when they saw this miracle?
That Paul and Barnabas were gods.
9. How did Paul suffer in Lystra for Christs sake?
He was stoned by the Jews.
Memory verse: "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15==========
Pauls Second Missionary Journey
1. What did Paul see in a vision?
A man of Macedonia.
2. What did the man ask?
"Come over into Macedonia and help us."
3. Who was the first to believe in Macedonia?
Lydia, whose heart the Lord opened.
4. How were Paul and Silas persecuted?
They were beaten and put in prison.
5. Were Paul and Silas afraid?
No, they sang praises to God in the night.
6. What happened while they were singing?
The prison doors opened and the chains fell from them.
7. What did the jail-keeper intend to do?
He wanted to kill himself.
8. What did he ask of Paul and Silas?
"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
9. What did Paul answer him?
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
Memory verse: "And as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." Acts 13:48==========
Pauls Third Missionary Journey
1. How long did Paul stay at Ephesus?
He stayed there about three years.
2. What did Paul do there?
He preached and did miracles.
3. Did many believe?
Yes, many believed through Pauls preaching.
4. Who opposed Paul at Ephesus?
Demetrius, who made silver shrines for Diana.
5. Why did Demetrius oppose Paul?
He was afraid that Pauls preaching would hurt his business.
6. What did he cause the people to shout?
"Great is Diana of the Ephesians."
7. What happened to Paul at Jerusalem?
He was put in prison by the Jews.
8. Where was Paul taken later?
He was taken as a prisoner to Rome.
9. What took place on the way to Rome?
He was shipwrecked in a storm.
10. What did Paul do in Rome?
He preached, even though he was a prisoner.
Memory verse: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
II Timothy 4:7
Return to the Bible Studies and Catechisms page