The Beacon Lights is a magazine for PR young people and their parents, as well as for all - young or old in their faith - who desire to grow in grace and in the knowledge of their Savior Jesus Christ (2 Pet. 3:18). The purpose of this news item is to promote the "BL" among our own members and our friends, so that you may become a subscriber or if you are a subscriber to make sure that you are reading this fine Reformed publication.
Each month is loaded with interesting and edfying articles geared to the young people and their special needs as Reformed Christians. A glance at this month's cover demonstrates this (see the image of the cover here).
The "BL" has an attractive, newly redsigned website, which contains information on the magazine and archives of the past issues. From the "About" page you will find this:
Psalm 144:12; "That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace."
In January 1941, the first issue of Beacon Lights was published. The periodical, then under the editorship of Rev. Cornelius Hanko, was produced by a mandate of the publication committee of the Protestant Reformed Young People's Federation. The magazine was distributed as a means towards achieving the goal of the Federation which, presented by Rev. Hanko in the first issue of Beacon Lights, is as follows:
- To unite all Protestant Reformed Young People’s Societies so that they may work in close unity and secure a sense of solidarity.
- To seek the mutual edification of the members of this Federation and to strive for the development of talents as becomes Christian young people.
- To strive to maintain our specific Protestant Reformed character with a united front.
- To promote the welfare of the Protestant Reformed Churches, in which we have a name and a place.
Still today the staff of Beacon Lights strives towards this goal, as well as edifying those in other denominations. Beacon Lights is written for the young people by young people as well as by adults. This magazine is also written for the parents of young people, so they may be made aware of what their children are facing in this world. The world will only get darker as it nears the end. Sin is rampant. Temptations attack from all sides. We pray that Beacon Lights may serve as a light shining in the darkness of this world to guide young people in their Christian lives.
The "BL" staff has recently produced and mailed out some beautiful posters with a powerful message to promote this cause of the Reformed faith among our young people. We include one here. If your church does not receive hers, contact the "BL" through their website.
And if you would like to subscribe, visit this page. Do you receive and read the Beacon Lights?
Latest from Terpstra, Charles J.
- PRC Weekly Congregational, Denominational, and Sister-Church News - October 22, 2017
- Special Classis East Meeting - October 18, 2017 *(Updated)
- PRC Weekly Congregational, Denominational, and Sister-Church News - October 15, 2017
- Living Wisely in A Digital Age - Public Lecture Planned for October 13, 2017 at Trinity PRC
- New Issue of "Salt Shakers" Magazine - September 2017