On this July 16, 2017 Lord's Day we give the following updates on news and information from PRC congregations, mission fields, and sister churches.
- This morning Rev. R. Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC, Spokane, WA) announced his DECLINE of the call from First PRC (Holland, MI).
- On July 2 the congregation of Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) voted to extend a call to Rev. A. Brummel (Heritage PRC, Sioux Falls, SD).
- The Council of Edgerton PRC announces a trio of Rev. Huizinga (Redlands, CA), Candidate Matthew De Boer, and Candidate Justin Smidstra.
- The congregation of Southwest PRC (Grandville, MI) calls July 16 from a trio of Rev. Jon Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC- St. John, IN), Candidate Joe Holstege, and Candidate Justin Smidstra. UPDATE: Cand. Justin Smidstra has received this call.
- The Council of Zion PRC has drawn up a new trio from which to call her first pastor: Revs. B. Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA), A. Lanning (Covenant ERC, Singapore), and Candidate J. Holstege.
- The Synod of 2017 called Rev. D. Kuiper to serve in the PRC Seminary as professor of church history and NT studies, in replacement of Prof. R. Dykstra. On July 2 he announced his acceptance of this call. We give thanks to God for providing a man for this position, and pray for him and his family as well as Edgerton PRC as he makes this transition and prepares for his new post (cf. picture below).
The Contact Committee will be sending Prof. R. Dykstra and Rev. J. Engelsma to Australia to visit the Evangelical Presbyterian Churches on behalf of the PRC. They will be taking part in a two-day Reformation Day conference, attending the meetings of the Presbytery of the EPC, and preaching in the EPC. The 2015 Synod of the PRC approved holding a conference with the EPC on the ground that “such face-to-face meeting and discussions with the men of the EPC are excellent ways both to make the corresponding relationship meaningful and to further the relationship.” Prof. and Mrs. Dykstra leave July 18, and will return (after a time in Singapore) August 16. Rev. and Mrs. Engelsma will leave July 24 and return August 7. All the Lord willing.
- Synod of 2017 concluded its sessions on June 21, at Hudsonville PRC. Summary reports on each day may be found under the synod section of this website.
SISTER-CHURCH NEWS - This from Covenant PRC in Ballymena, N. Ireland:
The Stewarts will be in N. America from 17 July to 14 August. The Lord’s Day schedule in the CPRC while Rev. Stewart is away is as follows:
23 July - services led by the elders with DVDs (Pastor preaches in Spokane, WA)
30 July - Rev. McGeown preaches while Rev. Bleyenberg takes services in the LRF (Pastor preaches in Edmonton and Lacombe, Alberta, Canada)
6 August - Rev. Bleyenberg preaches (Pastor preaches in Lynden, Washington)
13 August - Rev. Bleyenberg preaches, with tea after the evening service—Group A on the tea rota (Pastor preaches in Providence and Hudsonville in Michigan)
20 August - Rev. McGeown preaches (Pastor preaches in the LRF)
- On July 2 Byron Center PRC voted to call Rev. A. Spriensma (her pastor) to serve as home misisonary.
- The Council of Doon PRC announces a new trio from which to call a missionary to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines: Rev. Allen Brummel (Heritage PRC in Sioux Falls, SD), Rev. Clay Spronk (Faith PRC in Jenison, MI), and Rev. Richard Smit (First PRC in Grand Rapids, MI). Doon plans to vote on July 24.
- From the Provident Christian Church bulletin for today we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
Sem. Matt Kortus will lead both our worship services today. Next Sunday, Lord willing, Rev. Holstege will preach both times. Also, beginning next week, Rev. Holstege plans to start giving brief instruction on the articles of the Church Order (CO). The goal is to prepare PCC for organization as a Protestant Reformed Church. You can find the CO in the back of the Psalter.
Rev and Sharon Kleyn and Matt and Sarah Kortus plan to travel to Negros for the pastors classes in Sipalay this Monday-Wednesday. May God grant them a safe and blessed trip.
- And from the bulletin of the Berean PRC in Antipolo City (where Rev. V. Ibe is pastor) we find these significant announcements:
Our pastor, Rev. Holstege and Seminarian Matt Kortus are scheduled to visit the saints in Sitio Karugang, Gabaldon NE on Friday (July 21, 2017). Ptr Ibe will lead the saints there in their study of the Essentials of Reformed doctrine on lesson #12.
The outreach work of Bulacan PRC in Albuera Leyte is making good progress, by the grace of God! The saints there were visited by the delegates from Committee #2 of the PRCP on July 7-10, 2017. We heard from Rev. Kleyn that the trip went well as well as the visits and fellowship with the saints there. This visit will further encouraged them in the faith and work towards the institution of a Protestant Reformed church in their midst, if the Lord wills! The congregation is asked to remember them in our prayers!
The Kleyns' recently posted pictures and descriptions of the recent Classis meeting of the PRCP, as well as of a wedding held in Provident CC. Below are a couple of samples. Find more at the link provided.