On this October 1, 2017 Lord's Day we note the following news and information from PRC congregations, classes, and mission fields.
- *UPDATE: The Council of Lynden PRC has formed a trio of Rev. B.Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands), J.Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC, Dyer, IN) and Cand. S.Regnerus.
- Pastor-elect Matt DeBoer was examined at the meeting of Classis West this past week, approved for ordination, and ordained and installed in Edgerton PRC this past Friday night, Sept.29. We praise God for His provision of another pastor to serve in the PRC. May the Spirit of Christ make this servant's ministry faithful and fruitful. For more on this, visit this special news item.
- The Council of Byron Center PRC has formed a new trio from which to call a pastor: Revs G. Eriks (Hudsonville PRC), C. Griess (Calvary PRC, Hull IA) and A. Lanning (CERC, Singapore). A congregational meeting will be held TODAY after the evening service to call one of these men. *UPDATE: Rev. A. Lanning has received this call.
- On Sept.10 Cand. S. Regnerus received the call from the congregation of Southwest PRC (Wyoming, MI). He has up to six weeks to consider this call.
- Cand. Brian Feenstra is considering the call from Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) (Received Sept.3). He also has up to six weeks to consider this call. *UPDATE: Cand. Feenstra has ACCEPTED this call.
- On August 27 Candidate Justin Smidstra ACCEPTED the call from First PRC of Holland MI, declining the call from Southwest PRC. He will be examined, D.V., at a special meeting of Classis East in Georgetown PRC on October 18.
- On August 13 Candidate Joe Holstege ACCEPTED the call to Zion PRC. He will be examined, D.V., at a special meeting of Classis East in Georgetown PRC on October 18.
- Candidates Jon Langerak and David Noorman are both assisting pastors and congregations in the Grand Rapids area (Georgetown PRC and Hudsonville PRC, respectively) while they wait for calls.
CLASSIS WEST met this past Wednesday, September 27, in Hull (IA) PRC, with the highlight being the examination of Pastor-elect Matthew De Boer. For more on this, visit this special news item. A special conference on The Five Solas and How They Matter for the Ministry was held the day before. If you wish to listen to the five speeches that were given, visit this link.
- CLASSIS EAST will meet in special session on Wednesday, Oct.18, at Georgetown PRC for the purpose of examining Pastors-elect J. Holstege (Zion PRC, Hudsonville, MI) and J. Smidstra (First PRC, Holland, MI).
Reformed Book Outlet: Check out the special Reformation resources this month! Many titles to choose from - for adults and children!
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Todays' message by radio pastor Rev. W. Bruinsma is titled "Thanks for the Church," based on 1 Thess.1:1-4.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- On Sept.17 Rev. A. Spriensma was installed as home missionary, having been called by Byron Center PRC.
- On Sept.17 The congregation of Doon PRC voted to call Rev. R. Smit (pastor, First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI) to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines. *UPDATE: Rev. R. Smit has ACCEPTED this call.
Rev. J. Flores preaching for the PR Fellowship in Leyte this Spring.
- From the bulletin of Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
We welcome Rev. Vernon Ibe too who will lead our first worship service today. Rev. Holstege will preach for the Berean PRC in the first service. Then he will teach the Church Order here at PCC and preach in our second service. Rev. Kleyn will be at the PRC in Bulacan today.
This Wed, at 7:30 pm, Rev. Holstege will finish teaching the Canons of Dordt. We will consider the Rejection of Errors of Head 5. After this week, the Wed night class will recess until after the Christmas season, Lord willing.
This Saturday at 9:00 am, Rev. Kleyn will teach the catechism class for the children. The children should prepare lesson 16 in the OT History for Juniors.
- And from the bulletin of the Maranatha PRC in Valanzuela City we learn about these special events:
- A delegation of the Contact Committee of the PRCA plans to visit the PRCP in the Philippines (and also the CERC in Singapore) this October and November. The delegation consists of Rev. R. Smit and Elder David Kregel. The visit is part of the sister-church relationship that is being established between the PRCP and the PRCA. The delegation hopes to be in the Philippines from October 26 through November 6, the Lord willing.
A Reformation Day Conference is being planned for Tuesday, October 31. The theme is “Reformation 500: The Anniversary.” The speakers will be Rev. Holstege, Rev. Kleyn, and Rev. Smit. The conference will be held in Provident Village in Marikina, starting at 8:00 a.m. Registration is Php 50 per person. All are welcome. Please plan to attend, and please invite others to attend, too. A sign-up sheet will be available soon. [cf. flyer below]
Let's remember these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines in our prayers daily. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.