On this Christmas Eve Lord's Day of December 24, 2017 we note the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, mission fields, and sister churches.
- Rev. C. Griess (Calvary PRC, Hull, IA) is considering the call from First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI (received Dec.14).
- The congregation of SW PRC (Wyoming, MI) voted to extend a call to Candidate David Noorman last Sunday, Dec.17. He has up to six weeks to consider this call.
- Rev. A. Lanning gave his farewell in Covenant ERC in Singapore today. He and his wife Stephanie and children will leaving Singapore tomorrow and arriving later this week in West Michigan, where he has accepted a call to Byron Center PRC. Plans are for him to be installed next Sunday, Dec.31
- From Loveland PRC's bulletin we learn that Candidate Jonathan Langerak will be filling her pulpit the next two weeks, including Christmas and New Year's days, as Rev. S. Key is away.
From the PRC Seminary comes this news:
- The Seminary finished its first semester and week of exams this past week and will now enjoy a two-week break over the holidays. The Seminary will still be open daily (except on Christmas and New year's) and staff will be present to assist you with any needs, including in the office, bookstore, and library.
- Interim Course: The seminary’s interim course this year will be “The Theology of John Calvin” and will be taught by Prof. R. Cammenga. Classes will meet from Monday, January 8, 2018 through Wednesday, January 17, 2018, in the morning, 9:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M. Any who are interested in attending are welcome. Please call the seminary (531-1490) before January 5 so that your name can be added to the class list.
- The latest issue of the PR Theological Journal (Fall 2017) is now available in print form and in three (3) digital forms. Visit the Seminary's Journal page to download the digital editions and contact the Seminary if you would like to receive a print copy. At the Journal page you may also find all the back issues as well as an index to past issues.
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we have this news:
- Cand. David Noorman and his wife leave this week for three Sunday's of pulpit supply following the departure of the Lannings this week. We pray God's blessing on them as they travel to the Far East and perform this service to our sister there.
- Following Cand. Noorman's work there, Rev. A. denHartog and his wife will be there for an extended time, as requested by the PRC Contact Committee. SW PRC had this note in their bulletin of Dec.17 concerning this: "Pastor den Hartog has been asked by the Contact Committee of our denomination to serve our sister church in Singapore (the Covenant Evangelical Reformed Church of Singapore) for an extended period. CERCS will be without its own pastor after Rev. Andrew Lanning leaves this month to take up a call to Byron Center Protestant Reformed Church. The den Hartog's are planning to be in Singapore at least until after our synod of June, 2018, makes a decision on the CERCS calling a minister on loan, the Lord willing, from our denomination to become their new pastor. Let us pray for the Lannings, Covenant Church, and the den Hartog’s during this time."
- A new newsletter from our sister church, Covenant PRC in Ballymena, N. Ireland, was received and posted this week (for Dec. 2017). You may find that on this page.
- Beacon Lights Christmas Special: Beacon Lights is running their Christmas Special again this year! Buy one subscription, and you’ll get another for free to gift to someone else! Beacon Lights magazine makes a great gift for anyone, but especially. It is filled with edifying articles, devotionals, poems, and more! Take advantage of this amazing offer today!
Reformed Book Outlet: December special: December is one of Reformed Book Outlet’s 25% off sale months. Almost all of our books, and all Bibles and Bible covers are 25% off retail price all month.
- NEW Psalter CD Available! The Covenant Christian High School Choirs (Grand Rapids, MI) have recently recorded their 3rd Psalm CD "Teach Me to Pray", which will be available in time for Christmas! Watch for a sign-up sheet at your church or contact the school office.
- THE HOPE HERALDS 2017 CD ENTITLED, “OUR GOD IS GOD” is available for $10 in the main offices of Covenant Chr. High School and Heritage Christian School and also at the Reformed Book Outlet and the PR Seminary bookstore. If you are not able to pick up your copy at any of these locations, please call or text Karen Daling (616-662-0784) or Dan VanDyke (616-610-3276) and we will mail the CD for $12. Thank you!
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Todays' message by radio pastor Rev. W. Bruinsma is titled "No Room for Mary's Firstborn", based on Luke 2:7.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- The December 2017 newsletter of the Limerick Reformed Fellowship mission station was received and posted this week. You may find that on this page.
- Rev.R. Smit was installed as third missionary to the Philippines on Nov.26 at Doon PRC. The Smits plan to leave the States on Christmas Day and arrive in the Philippines on December 27, the Lord willing.
- From this Sunday's bulletins of the Maranatha PRC and the Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning their pastors as well as concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
- Provident CC:
Rev. Kleyn will preach in both worship services today. Rev. Holstege will preach both times next week, the Lord willing.
The Smits will be arriving in the Philippines, the Lord willing, this week Wednesday morning, December 27. Let us remember them in prayer, asking the Lord to bless and strengthen them as they say their farewells in the USA and again take up their life and work here.
Today, our Pastor, Rev. L. Trinidad will lead our first and second services and after the Second Service he will continue the Lesson #43 of theBook of Revelation.
- The Consistory adopted and designated that January 7, 2018 as our “Thanksgiving and Fellowship” because of the faithfulness and graciousness of our Sovereign God and also a “Buenvenida” for Rev. Smit and family. Note: This is “POTLUCK.” Let us pray for Rev. Richard and Tricia Smit and family as they prepare to travel and to serve as the Third Missionary to the Philippines.
- Provident CC:
Let us continue to lift up the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.