On this ninth Lord's Day of 2018, March 4, we note the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, mission fields, and sister churches.
Pastor-elect David Noorman and his wife Carisa after his examination at Classis East last week (see below)
- Pastor-elect David Noorman sustained his examination before Classis East this past Wednesday (cf. note below under Classis East news) and Southwest PRC (Wyoming, MI) was advised to proceed to his ordination and installation. The following is the note found in SW PRC's bulletin today about this significant event:
- "The consistory calls the congregation to a special worship service on Wednesday, March 7, at 7:00 pm for the purpose of the ordination and installation of Pastor-elect Dave Noorman as the next pastor at Southwest Protestant Reformed Church. Prof. R. Cammenga will lead us in worship and conduct the installation. Refreshments will be served after the service."
- And this note was added: A welcome program for our new pastor and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. David (Carisa) Noorman, will be held on Sunday, March 11, after the evening worship service. All members are encouraged to attend. Refreshments will be served.
- The special delegation to the Philippines for the annual visit on behalf of Doon PRC and the Foreign Mission Committee (Rev. C. Griess and Joel Van Egdom) completed their labors this past Monday and returned home safely on Tuesday, Feb.27.
- Time change next Sunday! This good note of reminder appears in several bulletins this week: "Daylight Savings Time takes effect again early next Sunday morning, March 11. You will need to set your clocks ahead an hour Saturday night, in order to make it to church on time Sunday morning."
- *UPDATE: Grace PRC (Standale, MI) moved into her new sanctuary on March 4, worshiping in it for the first time (cf. pictures below). A brief dedication program was held before the evening service. Rev. R. Van Overloop's remarks may be viewed on this video. The singing of the catechism children may be viewed here, and the congregation's singing here.
Grace PRC catechism students singing at the dedication program of her new sanctuary.
Loveland (CO) PRC - host of Classis West meeting this week (see note below)
- Classis East held its reconvened meeting (from January) this Wednesday, Feb.28, 2018 at Hudsonville PRC. The following bulletin note was sent out concerning the results:
After preaching his specimen sermon and upon receiving the approval of his preaching from Classis East and the Synodical Deputies from Classis West, Pastor-elect Dave Noorman was examined extensively on the six loci of Reformed Dogmatics, and his knowledge of the scriptures, confessions, controversy, and practica. Pastor-elect Noorman gave an excellent demonstration of his knowledge and training in all these areas. Classis voted unanimously (and the Synodical Deputies concurred) to approve of his examination, recommending that Southwest Protestant Reformed Church proceed to his ordination and installation. With much thanksgiving to God, we rejoice in His provision of this minister of the gospel to the PRCA. SWPRC sent a letter of thanks to Classis for pulpit supply during the time they were vacant.
Classis also treated a lengthy appeal of a member against the member's pastor and consistory. That appeal was rejected. However, both the pastor and consistory were given instruction from Classis. We welcomed Rev. Cory Griess to Classis East as the newly installed pastor of First Protestant Reformed Church of Grand Rapids.
- Classis West will have its next regular meeting this Wednesday, March 7, in Loveland, CO PRC. Loveland PRC included this note in its bulletin today: "Classis West will meet in our sanctuary on Wednesday beginning at 8:30 a.m. The agenda includes only the reports of various committees and the Church Visitors, the treatment of finances and annual subsidy requests, and the annual elections."
- From the PRC Seminary comes this February news:
- The seminary has now completed six weeks of the second semester. The first practice preaching sessions will be held on Monday, Feb.26 and Monday, March 5. Pray for the young men that they may prepare well for this important part of their training.
- The upcoming internships of Seminarians Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman have been confirmed and announced. Sem. Kortus will be interning at Trinity PRC under Rev. N. Decker and his Council and Sem. Maatman will intern at Hudsonville PRC under Rev. G. Eriks and his Council. The internship program runs from July 1 to December 31.
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, the following may be noted:
- Rev. A. den Hartog and his wife Sherry are serving the CERC until at least June of this year. Read the "Pastor's Voice" part of her bulletin to learn more.
- Her latest newsletter (February 2018) - Reformed News Asia - was posted this past week - may be found on this page.
- The latest young peoples' magazine, Salt Shakers, was received and posted recently (January 2018). Check that out on this page.
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- Covenant PRC's latest newsletter was received and posted recently (Feb. 2018). And don't forget her other publication - Covenant Reformed News! That latest issue (Feb. 2018) may be found here.
Reformed Book Outlet in Hudsonville, MI - a ministry of Hudsonville PRC (*see first note below)
- Reformed Book Outlet: The March 2018 newsletter (see attached pdf!) includes a special offer of a free Psalm Choir CD and specials on a Christian biography series for children.
- Looking for pamphlets published by the PRC? Visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
What kind of reading material do you have laying around the house for your children to read? Do you feel like there is something missing? If you do not currently subscribe to Beacon Lights, you are missing out! This magazine is designed for Reformed youth, but adults read it with profit as well. What about the cost? Right now, the average cable bill in the U.S is over $100/month. If you took only one of those monthly payments, that would cover over six years of the $15/yr subscription price! Subscribe today at www.beaconlights.org to make sure you receive the March special issue which will focus on bullying.
- Psalm Choir - The latest CD, Volume 20, ‘Sweet Refreshment’ is now available. There are over 25 selections from the past two seasons. Please visit the website www.psalmchoir.com to order.
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Today Rev. R. Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC, Spokane, WA) continues a series on the OT book of Ruth. His message is "Hope for Those Who Are Empty," based on Ruth 2:18-23.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- The February/March 2018 newsletter of the Limerick Reformed Fellowship mission station is now posted on this page.
- The last Philippines mission newsletter is dated November 2017 and may be found on this PRC webpage. The annual Doon/Foreign Mission Committee delegation visit to the Philippines took place from February 15-27. This year's delegation was Rev. C. Griess (FMC) and Joel Van Egdom (Doon PRC), along with his wife Michelle.
- Don't forget to follow the Kleyn's blog on life and activities in the Philippines. And that also includes the Holstege's one!
- From this Sunday's bulletins of the Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines and the Maranatha PRC in Valenzuela we find the following notes concerning their pastors as well as concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
- Provident CC:
Rev. Kleyn will preach both times today. Rev. Holstege will preach for the Berean PRC in their first service. Next Sunday, Lord willing, Rev. Holstege will preach both times at PCC.
Rev. Holstege will teach CO, Art. 61ff, at 10:15 today.
The Children’s Catechism class will meet today after the first worship service. Rev. Kleyn will teach Lesson 19 in OT History for Juniors.
Our Pastor, Rev. L. Trinidad will lead our both services and after the second service he will continue our Bible study on the book of Revelation Lesson # 47. Rev. D. Kleyn will lead our both services and he will continue teaching the “The work of the Office Bearers.”
The June 2018 Synod of the PRCA will officially ratify our sister relationship with PRCA, also with the concurrence of the CERC of Singapore and CPRC of Northern Ireland. The recent meeting of the Classis of PRCP has moved and approved the recommendation to send Rev. Leovino A. Trinidad, as the official PRCP delegate to the June 2018 Synod of the PRCA, D.V. Likewise, Rev. Daniel Holstege will also attend the Synod while he is on furlough in June of this year. Please include them in your prayer.
- Provident CC:
Let us remember and continue to lift up the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful in all their labors.