On this thirty-second Lord's Day of 2019, August 11, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be mentioned.
- Cand. M. Kortus continues to consider the calls to Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB, received July 14) and to Hope PRC (Redlands, CA, received July 21). May the King of the church give him clear guidance with regard to these calls.
- Cand. J. Maatman is considering the call to Southeast PRC (Grand Rapids, MI, received July 21). May the Lord make plain to him His will.
- Rev. J. Engelsma (Doon IA PRC) is considering the call from Grandville PRC (received July 11) to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. He plans to answer by August 18. We pray for him and his family as he considers this important call.
- Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) has extended a call to Cand. M. Kortus (July 14). Today and next Sunday her pulpit will be supplied again by Rev. J. Laning of Hull PRC (Iowa).
- Southeast PRC (Grand Rapids, MI) extended a call to Candidate J. Maatman (July 21). Today, Prof. B. Gritters and Rev. C. Haak are leading her worship services. And a reminder: The congregation is currently worshiping at Adams Christian School in Wyoming, MI, while she looks for a new location.
- The delegation sent to Mexico on behalf of First PRC (Grand Rapids, MI) plans to return tomorrow August 12, the Lord willing. May the Lord grant them a blessed gfinal Lord's Day among the saints there and give them safe travels on the morrow.
- From Byron Center PRC's Council we find this significant note in her bulletin today: "At the meeting this past Wednesday our Council approved the request of those desiring to organize a daughter church and is forwarding this request to Classis East which will meet on September 11. There are 55 families, 17 individuals and a total of 215 souls that have signed to be part of this new church which, if the Lord wills to be organized, will be named Unity Protestant Reformed Church. We thank our heavenly Father for His blessing upon this work. To God be the glory!"
- This is the week of the PRC Young People's Convention, hosted by Providence and Southwest PRC's. The convention will be held at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI. The annual Pre-Convention Singspiration will be held tonight at Fair Haven Church at 8:15 pm. May the Lord bless and keep our young people, chaperones, and leaders this week, and grant them a time of sweet fellowship and rich spiritual growth.
PRC Synod 2019:
- Synod (in First PR Church of Grand Rapids, MI) met from June 11-17. The daily reports with pictures may be found here.
- On June 30 Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) accepted Synod 2019's call to serve as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament (replacing Prof. R. Cammenga within five years). His installation as professor of theology is set for Wednesday Sept.4 during a divine worship service at Grandville PRC (7 pm).
- The PRC Synod of 2019 declared Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman candidates for the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC. They are eligible for a call on or after July 13, 2019.
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Nine of our 39 active ministers are 63 years of age and older. The next prospect for seminary graduates in our churches is not for another four years. Then those nine ministers will be 67 and older. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry.
PRC Seminary News:
- The seminary is now in its summer break, but the second semester begins in just two weeks - August 26. In addition to all the other activities and the renovation project of the summer, faculty and staff continue preparing for the new semester in the Fall, the schedule for which has been posted on the seminary's website. The seminary is open daily (M-F) during the summer and staff is available to assist with any needs.
- On June 30 Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) accepted Synod 2019's call to serve as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament (replacing Prof. R. Cammenga within five years). His installation as professor of theology is set for Wednesday Sept.4 during a divine worship service at Grandville PRC (7 pm). He and his family have now moved to West Michigan and they are busying themselves in all the activities and labors involved with their new life and work in the seminary.
- The seminary's two 2019 graduates, Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman, sustained their synodical examinations at the PRC 2019 Synod and were declared candidates for the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC, eligible for a call on or after July 13, 2019. Both have now received calls from vacant congregations. We praise God for this evidence of His confirmation of the call they felt when they began seminary.
- The Spring 2019 issue of the PR Theological Journal is currently available! For back issues, visit the seminary journal page. If you wish to be added to our mailing list, contact the seminary's secretary. In addition, a new index to all past issues has been posted on the Journal's archives page.
- Be sure to visit the new PRC seminary website! There are many new features and updates, including a blog. Visit the site and check out the various pages - and sign up to receive seminary news by email! The library is also online there (under Resources). If you are looking for a particular book to read or use, or just want to browse, visit the library page.
- Work continues on the seminary addition/library renovation project (new archives and offices). This past week the painting was completed in the library (see picture above) and the rest of the ceiling tiles were installed. Outside, the new roof over the library was completed and the old siding on the back of the building was repainted. Visit the seminary news section for pics and more information.
*Launceston EPC, Australia
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. J. Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC) is currently serving CERC as part of a three-Sunday stay.
- Today's bulletin contains this significant notice: "Both of our Seminary students will be returning to the US on 15 Aug to prepare for their studies. Josiah will go into his 4th year and Marcus will be in his 2nd year. Do pray for both the students and their families. There are many challenges they face from time to time while living there and with their studies, do keep encouraging them and pray for them."
- Her latest newsletter (June 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning our newest sister, the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC:
- Rev. V. Ibe has accepted the call to serve as PRCP missionary in Albuera, Leyte.
- "Rev. Ibe will lead us in our worship services today. Rev. Ibe is also scheduled to preach at Kerusso Community church at 3 P.M. and the Church Order class at 5P.M."
- "Dear PRCP congregations, The Theological School Committee of the PRCP (Committee #1) announces to our PRCP congregations with much thanksgiving to our covenant God that, after many months of planning and preparation, seminary training will begin on Tuesday, August 13, 2019. The Classis approved in June 2019 that Bro. Jeremiah B. Pascual, a member of the First PRCP in Bulacan, be approved as a seminary student, beginning his training in August 2019. The Classis approved in February 2019 that Rev. Holstege (Hermeneutics), Rev. Kleyn (Church History and Homiletics), and Rev. Smit (Greek and Dogmatics: Theology, Anthropology) teach our students. Brethren, we earnestly covet your prayers and support in this work as we seek with the Lord’s indispensable blessings to train faithful, Reformed preachers for our churches. The TSC (Committee 1) requests the Consistories of the PRCP to hold one worship service on August 11, 2019 dedicated to the beginning of seminary school and entrusting our school to the blessing and care of our Sovereign God, and asking our pastors to preach texts related to the ministry of the Word and seminary instruction.”"
- Rev. V. Ibe has accepted the call to serve as PRCP missionary in Albuera, Leyte.
- PRC in Bulacan:
- Rev. Flores and Elder Mescallado are visiting with the saints in Albuera, Leyte today. Rev. Flores is scheduled to lead them in their worship services today, the Lord willing.
- Maranatha PRC:
"Rev. R. Smit, our Missionary will lead us in both services. He will continue teaching the Belgic Confession Art. 22, “Faith in Jesus Christ.”. D.V. Rev. L. Trinidad will be teaching the Catechism to our children. D.V."
- Provident CC:
- "Rev. Holstege will preach both times today. We will celebrate the Lord’s Supper in the first service. The second service will not only be Applicatory but also will be dedicated to the beginning of our seminary this Tuesday morning, as requested by Committee 1. We will entrust our school to God in congregational prayer and hear a sermon on the biblical mandate to train faithful men for the ministry of the gospel."
- And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions (bulletins).
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- *The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
- On behalf of the Contact Committee of the PRCA, Prof. Barry Gritters and Rev. Daniel Holstege visited the Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Australia during July. Their work included participating in a joint conference with the EPCA in Brisbane on the subject of the Canons of Dordt as well as visiting the EPCA’s regular presbytery meeting. Both men have now returned to their home countires. May the Lord be pleased to use their work for the maintaining and strengthening of our relationship with the EPCA.
Do you know Jehovah the Savior? Read this helpful resource!
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer.
- You can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio! Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons read by Elijah Roberts. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- This week Rev. C. Griess (pastor of First PRC in Grand Rapids, MI) continues a three-month commitment to the program with a special series on the Five Points of Calvinism (for Dordt400) under the theme "Irresistible Grace (1)" (which you may listen to at this link).
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee: Have you checked out our newsletters? If you would like to receive them digitally in your emailbox, please sign up for our bimonthly newsletter here: ehttp://epurl.com/gikNsL. This month's newsletter contained this interesting information:
*Mark your calendar for our 4000th broadcast! On September 1, 2019 we will be airing "Whosoever Will May Come," by Rev. Herman Hoeksema to celebrate 4000 broadcasts of the RWH. This is the original audio from October 1944. Be sure to tune in on September 1 to hear this great message on salvation by sovereign grace!
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The is the week - the 2019 PRYP's Convention will be held this week Monday through Friday (Aug.12-16) at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI.! Southwest and Providence PRCs are hosting this years' event. May the Lord bless and keep our young people, chaperones, and leaders this week, and grant them a time of sweet fellowship and rich spiritual growth.
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (June 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
*The Dorr Bible Study meets this week - see note below.
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church.
- From Byron Center PRC's bulletin today we find this note: "Missionary Spriensma is preaching today at the daughter congregation at 3 PM (note the special start time for their evening service) and Hudsonville PRC at 5:30 PM. Next week he will be filling the pulpit at Cornerstone PRC."
- *The Dorr Bible Study meets this Thursday, August 15, at 7:30 PM. Our discussion will begin at John 7:17. Join us at the Dorr library with your friends and neighbors to study God's Word.
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. McGeown is preaching today and will lead the Bible study Tuesday 8 PM in Corbally.
- The March 2019 newsletter of the Limerick Reformed Fellowship mission station was received and posted recently.
- *PRC in Bulacan, (the calling church of the mission work in Albuera, Leyte) extended the call to Rev. Ibe (Berean PRC) to serve as missionary/pastor to this field. Rev. Ibe has accepted this call, which means that the PRCP will have its first missionary as a denomination. We rejoice with them in God's good provision of a man for this work.
- The last Philippines mission newsletter was received and posted in July 2019 and may be found on this PRC webpage.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh.
- Mexico labors
- Ronald Cammenga
- Cory Griess
- Barrett Gritters
- Daniel Kleyn
- Matt Kortus
- Jacob Maatman
- Angus Stewart
- Joshua Engelsma
- Rodney Kleyn
- Emmanuel Singh
- India mission work
- PRC young adult retreats
- Myanmar missions
- Reformed Book Outlet
- ministerial calls
- sister church relations
- PRC Seminary
- missions and evangelism
- Audred Spriensma
- Martyn McGeown
- young people activities
- Reformed literature
- Immanuel PRC
- Brian Huizinga
- Daniel Holstege