On this thirty-fifth Lord's Day of 2019, September, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be mentioned.
- Last evening emeritus PRC minister Rev. Gise Van Baren was delivered from his earthly afflictions and translated into everlasting glory. He was ordained in 1956 and served these PRC's until 1999, when he became emeritus: Doon, IA - 1956; Randolph, WI - 1962; First, Grand Rapids, MI - 1965; Hudsonville, MI - 1977; Loveland, CO - 1994-99. We thank God for the faithful service and godly example of this servant in our churches for many years and rejoice in his heavenly reward by the pure grace of God. May God comfort his wife and family in this time of personal and earthly loss for them. "And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them." (Rev.14:13) Funeral arrangements are as follows: Visitation for the family will be Tuesday, Sept.3 from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. at Trinity PRC (Hudsonville, MI) The funeral will be Wednesday Sept.4 at 3 p.m. in Trinity PRC.
- Cand. M. Kortus has been considering calls to Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB, received July 14) and to Hope PRC (Redlands, CA, received July 21). Today he anounced his acceptance of the call to Hope PRC and therefore his decline of the call to Immanuel.
- Cand. J. Maatman has been considering the call to Southeast PRC (Grand Rapids, MI, received July 21). Today he announced his acceptance of this call.
- Southeast PRC (Grand Rapids, MI) extended a call to Candidate J. Maatman (July 21). Today, Prof. R. Cammenga and Rev. J. Holstege are leading her worship services. And a reminder: The congregation is currently worshiping at Adams Christian School in Wyoming, MI, while she looks for a new location.
- Rev. T. Miermsa is leading Immanuel PRC in worship today. For the next two weeks Rev. R. Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC) will.
- Rev. J. Langerak is supplying the pulpit of Hope PRC Redlands today and next week.
PRC Synod 2019:
- On June 30 Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) accepted Synod 2019's call to serve as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament (replacing Prof. R. Cammenga within five years). His installation as professor of theology is set for Wednesday Sept.4 during a divine worship service at Grandville PRC (7 pm).
- The PRC Synod of 2019 declared Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman candidates for the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC. They are eligible for a call on or after July 13, 2019.
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Nine of our 39 active ministers are 63 years of age and older. The next prospect for seminary graduates in our churches is not for another four years. Then those nine ministers will be 67 and older. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry.
Opening chapel at PRC Seminary, Monday morning August 26, 2019
PRC Seminary News:
- This past week seminary began its first semester of the new school year. Monday morning August 26 was chapel/introduction/assignment day, while classes began on Tuesday August 27. The schedule for the first semester has been posted on the seminary's website. While most of the building is put "back together" after the renovation project this summer, there are still some things pending (library furniture and archives room shelving, workspace, etc.). Pray for the faculty, students, and staff as we have made a new beginning. The seminary is open daily (M-F, 8-5) and staff is available to assist with any needs.
- Note for seminary course auditors: Seminary classes began for the first semester on Tuesday, August 27. Three classes are open for auditors. For Prof. R. Cammenga: NT History (the intertestamental period to the Passion Week) and Dogmatics (Ecclesiology, the doctrine of the church). For Prof. R. Dykstra: Reformation Church History. If you are interested in attending, please contact the seminary secretary for the meeting times, at 616-531-1490.
- On June 30 Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) accepted Synod 2019's call to serve as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament (replacing Prof. R. Cammenga within five years). His installation as professor of theology is set for this Wednesday Sept.4 during a divine worship service at Grandville PRC (7 pm). This will also be the seminary's convocation, marking the beginning of a new season of instruction, with the returning and new students introduced. Those in West Michigan are encouraged to join us at this special evening. For those outside of the Grand Rapids, MI area, the service will be live-streamed on Grandville PRC's Sermonaudio channel.
- The seminary's two 2019 graduates, Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman, sustained their synodical examinations at the PRC 2019 Synod and were declared candidates for the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC, eligible for a call on or after July 13, 2019. Both have now received calls from vacant PRC congregations. We praise God for this evidence of His confirmation of the call they felt when they began seminary.
- The Spring 2019 issue of the PR Theological Journal is currently available! For back issues, visit the seminary journal page. If you wish to be added to our mailing list, contact the seminary's secretary. In addition, a new index to all past issues has been posted on the Journal's archives page.
- Be sure to visit the new PRC seminary website! Visit the site and check out the various pages, including the new blog - and sign up to receive seminary news by email! The library is also online there (under Resources). If you are looking for a particular book to read or use, or just want to browse, visit the library page.
PR Christian Schools:
In the past few weeks our PR Christian schools opened their doors for a new year of instructing the children of God's covenant. For more information on these schools and their foundational principles, visit this section of the PRC website. To learn more about the Federation of PR Christian Schools, visit this page. Let us commit to praying for our children, teachers, administrators, staffs, and Boards during this coming year. To read a profitable introduction to why PRC parents maintain Christian day schools, read this short resource.
*See note below for latest issue
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. L. Trinidad is scheduled to supply preaching and teaching to the CERC on Sept.8. After that, Rev. A. denHartog will return.
- Her latest newsletter (August 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning our newest sister, the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC: Rev. Smit will lead us in our worship services today.
- Provident CC: Rev. D. Holstege will preach both times for PPRC today.\
- Missions: Let us uphold Rev. Ibe and his family in our prayers as they prepare to move and begin mission work with the saints in PRFA, Albuera, Leyte. The installation of Rev. Ibe as Missionary/pastor is scheduled on November 17, 2019 at 3P.M. at PRC in Bulacan, the Lord willing.
- And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions (bulletins).
- Berean PRC: Rev. Smit will lead us in our worship services today.
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. Stewart is leading the services today.
- S. Wales Lecture: Rev. Stewart will speak in Margam Community Centre this Thursday at 7:15 PM on “The Peace Offering.”
- Covenant PRC's latest newsletter was received and posted (May 2019).
- Read the newest issue of Covenant Reformed News! That issue (August 2019) can be found here.
- *The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
Who really is sovereign in this world, God or man? Read this helpful resource!
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer.
- You can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio! Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- This week (September 1, 2019) we are airing "Whosoever Will May Come" by Herman Hoeksema to celebrate 4000 broadcasts of the RWH. This is the original audio from October 15, 1944. Be sure to tune in on September 1 to hear this great message on salvation by sovereign grace! (or visit the RWH website linked here to listen anytime).
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee: Have you checked out our newsletters? If you would like to receive them digitally in your emailbox, please sign up for our bimonthly newsletter here: ehttp://epurl.com/gikNsL.
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
Do you receive and read the Beacon Lights? Do you visit their website?
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The 2019 PRYP's Convention is now history (held Aug.12-16 at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI.). Southwest and Providence PRCs hosted this years' event. For pictures and more visit this YouTube channel.
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (August 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
*An aspect of the missions/evangelism work in Limerick, Ireland
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church.
- From Byron Center PRC's bulletin today we find this note: "The Dorr Bible Study meets this Thursday, September 5, at 7:30 PM. Our discussion will begin at John 7:40. Join us at the Dorr library with your friends and neighbors to study God's Word."
- *Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown is preaching today and will lead the Bible study Tuesday 8 PM in Corbally.
- The March 2019 newsletter of the Limerick Reformed Fellowship mission station was received and posted recently.
- PRC in Bulacan, (the calling church of the mission work in Albuera, Leyte) extended the call to Rev. Ibe (Berean PRC) to serve as missionary/pastor to this field. Rev. Ibe has accepted this call, which means that the PRCP will have its first missionary as a denomination. We rejoice with them in God's good provision of a man for this work. The installation of Rev. Ibe as Missionary/pastor is scheduled on November 17, 2019 at 3P.M. at PRC in Bulacan, the Lord willing.
- The last Philippines mission newsletter was received and posted in July 2019 and may be found on this PRC webpage.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh.
- Daniel Holstege
- Brian Huizinga
- Immanuel PRC
- Reformed literature
- young people activities
- Martyn McGeown
- Audred Spriensma
- missions and evangelism
- PRC Seminary
- sister church relations
- ministerial calls
- Reformed Book Outlet
- Myanmar missions
- PRC young adult retreats
- India mission work
- Emmanuel Singh
- Rodney Kleyn
- Joshua Engelsma
- Angus Stewart
- Jacob Maatman
- Matt Kortus
- Daniel Kleyn
- Barrett Gritters
- Gise Van Baren