On this thirty-eighth Lord's Day of 2019, September 22, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be noted.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Here is encouragement to prayer. There is no cause for fearing that the petitions of the righteous will not be heard, or that their sighs and tears shall escape the notice of God, since He knows the thoughts and intents of the heart. There is no danger of the individual saint being overlooked amidst the multitude of supplicants who daily and hourly present their various petitions, for an infinite Mind is as capable of paying the same attention to millions as if only one individual were seeking its attention." The Attributes of God; Arthur W Pink
- This week Friday (Sept.27) pastor-elect Jacob Maatman will be ordained into the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC and installed as Southeast PRC's new pastor. Concerning this, SE-PRC has this note in her bulletin today: " "The Consistory calls the congregation to a special worship service this coming Friday, September 27, 7:00pm, to be held at Southwest Protestant Reformed Church. The occasion, the Lord willing, is the ordination of our new Pastor-elect Jacob Maatman into the ministry of the holy gospel and sacraments. Prof. David Engelsma is scheduled to lead our worship service. Refreshments are being planned for after the service." In addition, there is this note about his first service: "The inaugural service led by Pastor-elect Maatman is scheduled for next Sunday evening, September 29. The program committee is planning a small welcome program to follow the service, with dinner served afterward in the hallway. Please plan to come and stay for this joyful event, as we welcome Pastor-elect Maatman, Rachel, and their children into our congregational life and fellowship."
- On September 1 Cand. M. Kortus accepted the call to Hope PRC (Redlands, CA, received July 21). Lord willing, he will be examined at the meeting of Classis West ths week (Sept.25) in Calvary PRC (Hull, IA), with his specimen sermon delivered the night before at a special worship service in Calvary PRC. May the Lord strengthen and sustain this brother as he prepares for his examination.
- The Consistory of Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) has announced a new trio from which to call a pastor: Rev. R. Barnhill (Peace), Rev. S. Key (Loveland), and Rev. R. Kleyn (Spokane). The congregational meeting is scheduled for today after the afternoon service. *Update: Rev. R. Kleyn has received this call.
- The Council of Grandville PRC announces a new trio for calling a minister on loan to labor in Covenant ERC in Singapore: "Revs. Garrett Eriks (Hudsonville PRC), Rodney Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC) and Jon Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC). The congregational meeting is scheduled for Oct 6 following the evening service."
- Prof. R. Cammenga and Rev. D. Overway are leading the worship services of Southeast PRC (Grand Rapids, MI) today. Her pastor-elect, J. Maatman, will be ordained and installed this Friday evening Sept.27 (see note above). The congregation is currently worshiping at Adams Christian School in Wyoming, MI, while she looks for a new location.
- Rev. T. Miersma is leading the worship services at Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) this week and next.
- Rev. A. Spriensma (PRC home missionary) is supplying the pulpit of Hope PRC Redlands again this Sunday.
- Georgetown PRC is celebrating her 25th anniversary this year. This note is found in her bulletin about that upcoming celebration: "25th Anniversary and Church Picnic is planned for Saturday, October 26. Join us for breakfast at Heritage Christian School! Our theme is, “Thanking God For Our Treasured Heritage”. The following Sunday, we will have special sermons by Rev. R. VanOverloop for our morning service and Rev. Haak for our evening service on Psalm 16: 5,6 and 8,9. Please plan to attend as we have so much to be thankful for!"
*Calvary PRC (Hull, IA), host of this week's meeting of Classis West.
Classis West: Classis West will meet this week at Calvary PRC in Hull, IA. The meeting will begin Tuesday evening with a worship service and sermon from Pastor-elect Kortus who has accepted a call to Hope PRC in Redlands, CA. Wednesday will be taken up, primarily, with Mr. Kortus’ oral examination. Classis will meet further into the week as it deals with nine protests against the decisions of the March classis as well as two appeals concerning the discipline and suspension of the minister of First PRC, Edmonton.
Rev. G. Eriks leading the Wednesday chapel at seminary this past week.
PRC Seminary News:
- The seminary is now entering its fifth week of the first semester in the new school year, and both faculty and students are busy with their work of teaching and studying. The first practice preaching session is only two weeks away, as Josiah T. and Marcus W. will deliver their first sermons of the new year. Pray for them and for the staff as they busy themselves in these kingdom labors. The schedule for the first semester has been posted on the seminary's website. If you are interested in visiting, please contact the seminary.
- On Sept.4 Rev. B. Huizinga was installed as the new professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament Studies during a worship service at Grandville PRC. Prof. Huizinga has begun work on his advanced degree (ThM) at Calvin Theological Seminary while also taking some classes at Puritan Refomred Seminary.
- Our other new professor, Douglas Kuiper, has begun giving instruction for the first time this semester, starting with the pre-seminary Greek grammar course, as well as Hermeneutics and a new Research and Methodology course.
- Looking for some good Reformed books to read, Bible study materials or seminary publications to use? Come and visit the seminary's bookstore! We have a variety of Bibles, commentaries, and good books - used and new - for our members and friends.
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Nine of our 39 active ministers are 63 years of age and older. The next prospect for seminary graduates in our churches is not for another four years. Then those nine ministers will be 67 and older. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry.
- The finishing touches are being put on the seminary addition and library renovation projects (new archives and offices). A new glass barrier, granite in the main window, and some more furniture is due in the library yet, but the first shipment is in place (see photo on seminary news page). In the archives room all is ready for the special flooring and shelving, which is scheduled for this week. Please fell free to stop by and see the new look - it is truly beautiful!
- Be sure to visit the new PRC seminary website! Visit the site and check out the various pages, including the new blog - and sign up to receive seminary news by email! The library is also online there (under Resources). If you are looking for a particular book to read or use, or just want to browse, visit the library page.
*Evangelical Presbyterian Church building in Winnaleah
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- The elders are leading the services again today. After that, Rev. A. denHartog will return, until late December. Concerning that, her bulletin today states: "In this coming week, let us pray for journey mercy for Rev Den Hartog and Sherry as they travel from the US to Singapore. They will be arriving... in the morning of Wednesday, 25 September. We thank God for the sister-church relationship with PRC and the abundant pulpit supply so that our souls may continuously be nourished through the preaching of the Word by His ordained minister."
- Also, her bulletin has this fitting note concerning the calling of a new minister on loan: "In the coming weeks and months, let us pray that the Lord directs and gives wisdom to Grandville PRC in forming a trio and in voting for the minister to call as MOL to Singapore. Pray that the Lord strengthen our hearts as we wait patiently upon Him to send us the MOL according to His appointed time and according to His will." Grandville's Council has annnounced this trio, from which the congregation will call on Oct.6: Revs. Garrett Eriks (Hudsonville PRC), Rodney Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC) and Jon Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC).
- Her latest newsletter (August 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning our newest sister, the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Maranatha PRC: Rev. R. Smit will lead the services today and teach on "Sanctification and Good Works" from Art.24 of the Belgic Confession.
- Provident CC: "Rev. Kleyn will preach both times for PPRC today. Rev. Holstege will teach Lord’s Day 8 and preach Lord’s Day 21 for the BLCC in Guiguinto. In the afternoon, he will teach the Church Order class. Bro. Mitch will accompany him. Next Sunday, Lord willing, Rev. Holstege will preach for PPRC."
- And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions (bulletins).
- Maranatha PRC: Rev. R. Smit will lead the services today and teach on "Sanctification and Good Works" from Art.24 of the Belgic Confession.
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- *The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
Looking for a study Bible or Bible study resources this Fall? Visit the Reformed Book Outlet in downtown Hudsonville!
From the RBO Fall newsletter: September 25% off Sale! 25% off most Bibles, books, and Bible covers! Stop in and check out the clearance table, where items are available for $2 and restocked with different books each month!
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer.
- You can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio! Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- For the rest of September we feature some "classics" of Rev. C.Haak. Today's message is "Spiritual Lethargy" based on Song of Solomon 5 (or visit the RWH website linked here to listen anytime).
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee: Have you checked out our newsletters? If you would like to receive them digitally in your emailbox, please sign up for our bimonthly newsletter here: ehttp://epurl.com/gikNsL. Also, watch for a new flyer with RWH information to be sent out soon!
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The 2019 PRYP's Convention is now history (held Aug.12-16 at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI.). Southwest and Providence PRCs hosted this year's event. For pictures and more visit this YouTube channel or the Facebook page. The 2020 PRYP's Convention will be hosted by Georgetown PRC and held at Lake Williamson Christian Center (St. Louis, MO).
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (August 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
*Reformed Free Church in S. Negros where Rev. D. Kleyn recently led in worship and preached
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church. From BC-PRC's bulletin today we find these notes:
- Pastor Spriensma is filling the pulpit today for Hope PRC in Redlands. He will also be working with their evangelism committee.
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown is preaching today and will lead the Bible study Tuesday 8 PM in Corbally.
- The March 2019 newsletter of the Limerick Reformed Fellowship mission station was received and posted recently.
- *From the latest post of Mrs. Sharon Kleyn, we find this note about their recent trip to Sipalay:
For many years now, the missionaries have been traveling to the city of Sipalay on the Island of Negros to hold classes with a number of pastors and elders in that area who are interested in the Reformed truth. Now, with three missionaries present, they are hoping to expand this work by going on the weekends and speaking/preaching/teaching in the churches there in addition to continuing the classes for the pastors and elders.This past Saturday, September 14, Rev. Kleyn and I flew into Bacolod City and drove the 3-4 hour trip south to Sipalay. Along the way we stopped to check in with two of the pastors, Pastor Rosal and Pastor Donasco. They assured us that they were planning on us on the following day (Sunday), and specific times and arrangements were made.Sunday morning we left Sipalay around 8:15 for the half hour trip back north to the Reformed Free Church in Inayauan where Pastor Rosal is the pastor. This church has already been following the order of worship we are used to and has used the Psalter for many years. They also are organized with elders and deacons.Rev. Kleyn first led the adult Sunday School class, speaking, at their request, on Lord’s Day 1 of the Heidelberg Catechism.After the Sunday School class, Pastor Rosal (standing on the right) made a few announcements, and then the worship service began. Rev. Kleyn led the whole service and preached on Unconditional Election from Deuteronomy 7:6-8. There was much appreciation expressed for the sermon. Because they came out of Arminianism and still have many friends and family in the Arminian churches, the doctrines of grace are very relevant for the members. They love to hear of them and discuss the related issues and Bible verses.
- The last Philippines mission newsletter was received and posted in July 2019 and may be found on this PRC webpage.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh.
- Daniel Kleyn
- Matt Kortus
- Jacob Maatman
- Angus Stewart
- Joshua Engelsma
- Rodney Kleyn
- Emmanuel Singh
- India mission work
- PRC young adult retreats
- Myanmar missions
- Reformed Book Outlet
- ministerial calls
- sister church relations
- PRC Seminary
- missions and evangelism
- Audred Spriensma
- Martyn McGeown
- young people activities
- Reformed literature
- Immanuel PRC
- Brian Huizinga
- Daniel Holstege
- Ryan Barnhill