Below you will find special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this twenty-fourth Sunday of our Lord's year 2022, June 19.
Because our Lord is risen from the dead on the third day - as He promised - and because He is returning in glory for our everlasting worship - as He also promised - today, on this first day of the week, we gather in worship as members of our living Savior's church. With gratitude and gladness we bring our praise to our triune God for fully accomplishing our salvation in His Son and by His Spirit. We cordially invite you to join us in worship on this day and on any Sunday.
My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations. For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds. Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth. ~ Psalm 57:7-11
If you are new to this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Today Rev. J. Smidstra (First PRC-Holland) declined the calls he received from Hosanna PRC (Edmonton) and from Zion PRC to serve as home missionary.
- Today Rev. E. Guichelaar (Randolph PRC) accepted the call to Grace PRC.
- Hudsonville PRC's Council has made a new trio: Revs. N. Decker (Grandville PRC), Rev. J. Laning (Hull PRC), and Rev. D. Noorman (SW-PRC). The congregational meeting is planned for Sunday evening, June 26.
- Rev. J. Holstege (Zion PRC) is considering the call from Doon PRC (received June 5).
- Rev. C. Haak's hip surgery this past week at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor went well and he returned home Thursday night. We thank the Lord for the successful surgery and pray for healing mercies for him as he recovers.
- From Byron Center PRC's bulletin today: "In celebration of Professor Dykstra's retirement from the Seminary the congregation along with his family is invited to cake and coffee after the morning service. ...We praise God for the years Prof. Dykstra has faithfully served in teaching at the Seminary. II Timothy 2:2 “And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Rev. H. Bleyenberg (1st week) in Doon (IA) PRC; Rev. T. Miersma in First PRC, Edmonton, AB; Prof. B. Gritters and Rev. R. Kleyn in Grace PRC; Prof. R. Cammenga and Rev. D. Lee in Hudsonville PRC. May we count it a blessing of our church federation that we can help one another in these needs. Let us remember to pray for the men who supply these pulpits and for the vacant congregations.
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS
Contact Committee: Philippines Conference: Revs. Jim Laning and Bill Langerak will be traveling to the Philippines to participate in a conference on July 2 sponsored by our sister church, The Protestant Reformed Churches in the Philippines. They, together with Rev. Daniel Kleyn, will give three speeches to be followed by a question and answer period. The conference theme is Contending for the Faith: Doctrinal Development Since the Schism. Please pray that the Lord will bless this work of our churches together with our sister churches in the Philippines for the cause of the truth and the good of His church universal. The Contact Committee of the PRC.
- Home missions: Today Rev. J. Smidstra (First PRC-Holland) declined the call from Zion PRC (Jenison, MI) to serve as PRC home missionary.
- Philippines mission:
- Rev. R. Smit and his family are currently in the U.S. for their furlough. They will be returning on July 28, D.V. May the Lord bless and be near them during their time in North America.
- This week Sem. Arend Haveman will leave for the Philippines for two and a half weeks (June 23-July 11) as part of a brief missions "internship." He will be assisting Rev. D. Kleyn in various aspects of the work there and speaking a word of edification in the churches.
PRC Seminary Notices:
- The seminary has now completed its second semester and entered its summer break. Continue to pray for the faculty, students, and staff as we enter the summer months with other labors and activities planned - from fall class preparation to weekly preaching assignments, from synod work to mission trips to Mexico, and from library inventory to building maintenance projects.
- The 2022 Seminary commencement was held this past Thursday in Zion PRC. Marcus Wee (Covenant ERC-Singapore) and Isaac Peters (EPC-Australia) received their diplomas. Marcus and his family plan to return to Singapore the end of July, while Isaac will return to the EPC in Australia this Tuesday, June 21. We extend our hearty congratulations to these men and pray for them as they return to their respective churches.
- Sem. M. Koerner will begin his internship in July, after a mission trip to Mexico the end of June. Sem. A. Haveman has plenty of preaching assignments this summer, in addition to mission trips to the Philippines (June 23-July 11) and to Mexico.
- The faculty served as advisors at the PRC Synod last week, which included the examination of senior seminarian Marcus Wee in the main areas of his seminary training. The brother successfully sustained his exam and was recommended as a candidate for the ministry to the CERC of Singapore (his home church).
- With joy the faculty announces that it has licensed student Arend Haveman to speak a word of edification in the churches. We are grateful for the brother’s progress to this point in his training. All scheduling of Mr. Haveman must be done through the seminary, either by sending a request to the seminary secretary, Miss Sharon Kleyn, or the rector, Prof. R. Cammenga.
- The spring 2022 issue of the PRT Journal is at the printers, but the digital editions are on the seminary's website. This issue features the speeches from the seminary's fall 2021 conference on preaching, plus numerous book reviews. If you want to be added to our mailing list (either print or digital) or wish to pick up a copy, contact Sharon, the seminary secretary.
- The seminary is open daily from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., including the library and bookstore. PRC members and friends are welcome to visit and make use of these resources.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore and her Kolkata, India mission work:
- Pastor J. Tan is faithfully serving the CERC each week as her pastor. Their bulletin this week included these thoughts on the examination of her spiritual son, Marcus Wee, here in the U.S: "“And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.” – Jeremiah 3:15. In the past week, another historical moment was made for CERC’s history books. Our gracious God sustained Seminarian Wee, our church family’s own son in his synodical examination. PRCA Synod of 2022 took a decision to heartily approve of Seminarian Wee’s examination and officially declared our brother worthy to be eligible for a call for the ministry of the word and sacraments. .... From having no minister [for three years] to now having the very real possibility for us to have a second minister. In our sin and weakness, we sometimes wonder, why is God so gracious and merciful to us CERC? 'Give thanks and praise to God above, For everlasting is His love; Praise Him, ye saints, your Saviour praise, Forever good in all His ways.' (Psalter 319, Psalm 118)"
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland:
- Rev. A. Stewart continues to minister the Word faithfully to the saints in Ballymena.
- The May 2022 issue of "Covenant Reformed News" was recently published. Follow the link to read the latest profitable articles by Revs. A. Stewart and R. Hanko.
- Sign up for the 2022 British Reformed Fellowship family conference at Castlewellan Castle in Northern Ireland from Saturday, July 9, to Saturday, July 16. The speakers, Prof. David Engelsma and Prof. Brian Huizinga will lecture on "Union With Christ." For information see the website (http://brfconference.weebly.com).
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- A new Philippines mission newsletter has just been published in April. Read the latest news from the Far East at the link provided.
- Berean PRC bulletin: "Rev. Ibe is scheduled to travel to the U.S. on June 13, 2022, and to return the following week [June 22, 2022], D.V. The Classis approved to send Rev. Ibe to represent PRCP as visiting delegate to Synod of PRCA which is scheduled to convene on June 14, 2022, God willing. We pray for God’s provision of traveling mercies for Rev. Ibe and God’s blessings upon the labors of the delegates of the Synod of PRCA." In his absence, "Elders Umali and Penaverde will lead us in our worship services today."
- Provident PRC bulletin: Rev.D. Kleyn led her worship services today. Also, "Rev. D. Kleyn and Sis. Sharon will be traveling to Southern Negros Occidental tomorrow in order to visit the pastors there and for Rev. D. Kleyn to provide instruction to the pastors, the Lord willing."
- "Sem. Arend Haveman, a 3rd-year seminary student in the PRCA seminary, will be arriving here on Saturday, the Lord willing, for a visit of three Sundays. The Council has approved for him to speak a word of edification for us in both services next Sunday (cf. Article 20 of the Church Order). The Council also approved that Arend will speak a word of edification in the BLCC in Guiguinto on July 3, DV. We look forward to his visit and time among us."
- This month Rev. R. Kleyn (First PRC-Grand Rapids, MI) continues speaking for the RWH. The focus will be a series on the life of Joseph. Today's message is based on Genesis 48 & 49:22-26 and titled "The Blessing on Joseph."
REFORMED RESOURCES FOR EDIFICATION, EDUCATION, and EVANGELISM
- Are you interested in learning more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
- The Reformed Book Outlet (downtown Hudsonville, MI) is temporarily closed while it moves into a new building that is being renovated. See the following note for details.
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- The PR Sunday School Association also publishes complete OT and NT Bible Story Lessons for young children and older children. Visit this page to learn more.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation
"For God resisteth the proud and giveth grace to the humble.” I Peter 5:5.
"In the wild mountain regions mighty giants of granite proudly rise heavenward, peak upon peak, contesting as it were with one another for superiority, striving to attain the most exalted position, whence they may display their proud forms in the thin and clear atmosphere to the far distant world around. Down in the valley grows the lowly lily, well-nigh hidden in oblivion, humbly retreating with its pure beauty from the world’s admiring gazes in the still recesses of the ravine. Yet, the most arrogant mountain peaks, though rising high into the deep blue canopy of the heavens to meet as it were the golden flood of the sun, receive none of its benevolent warmth. And though with their rocky heads they pierce the soft cloud-blanket, they fail to profit from its gentle showers. In the brightest sunlight they stand frigid and bare, clothed in eternal ice and snow. Down the icy slopes glides the golden sunbeam, descending and searching till it creeps into the fragrant bosom of the humble lily below, to brighten its beauty in the recess of the valley. And the gentle rain, passing the hard arrogancy of the rock giants, descends till it can lavish all its blessing upon the lowly flower, clothing it with a beauty such as Solomon never possessed.
"A silent nature-picture this is, of the deep spiritual reality expressed in the text above. For men rise and exalt themselves, like those rocky peaks, in arrogant conceit, till they claim to be as God and disclaim any God above them. And other men hide in the deep valley of humble contrition and repentance, in their self-abasement before God not daring to raise their eyes to heaven. But none of the benevolent influence of God’s grace, none of the blissful communion of His friendship is experienced by the former; and all the sweetness of His loving-kindness is lavished upon the latter. For God resisteth the proud and He giveth grace to the humble.”
~ Herman Hoeksema, Standard Bearer, Vol. 71, No. 11.