Below you will find special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this thirty-first Sunday of our Lord's year 2022, August 7.
Because our Lord Jesus Christ is risen from the dead on the third day - as He promised - and because He is returning in glory for our everlasting worship - as He has also promised - today, on this first day of the week, we gather in worship as members of our living Savior's church. With gratitude and gladness we bring our praise to our triune God for fully accomplishing our salvation in His Son and by His Spirit. We cordially invite you to join us in worship on this day and on any Sunday.
Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy. Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity: ...And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing. The righteous shall be glad in the LORD, and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory. ~ Psalm 64:1-2; 9-10
If you are new to this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Last Sunday Rev. N. Decker (Grandville PRC) declined the call from Doon (IA) PRC.
- Zion PRC (Jenison, MI) has formed a new trio for domestic missionary: Rev. J. Laning (Hull PRC), Rev. D. Noorman (Southwest PRC), and Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC). The congregation will call TONIGHT. *UPDATE: Rev. Brummel has received this call.
- Rev. R. Smit (missionary to the Philippines) is considering the call from Hosanna PRC (Edmonton) [received July 10]. He plans to answer this call by August 14.
- Rev. C. Spronk (Faith PRC-Jenison) is considering the call to Randolph (WI) PRC (received July 24). He plans to answer by August 21.
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Rev. M. Kortus (1st week) in Doon (IA) PRC; Rev. T. Miersma in Hosanna PRC, Edmonton, AB; Prof. R. Cammenga and Prof. B. Gritters in Hudsonville PRC; Video sermons in Randolph PRC. May we count it a blessing of our church federation that we can help one another in these needs. Let us remember to pray for the men who supply these pulpits and for the vacant congregations.
- Special Evangelism/mission notices:
- First PRC-Holland: "The next meeting of the outreach Bible Study is scheduled for Wednesday August 10, 7:00 p.m., at the Howard Miller public library."
- Randolph PRC (WI): "The Alto Fair is rapidly approaching! This year it will be held on Wednesday, August 10 and Thursday, August 11. The evangelism committee is looking for volunteers to man a booth both days."
- Georgetown PRC re work in Vellore, India: "Construction on the new church building [Vellore PRC] has resumed with a number of former GFH young men joining the construction team. The Sola Gratia Classes (Training area pastors in the Reformed Faith) continues weekly. The English Church continues to meet on the Eden Campus for their weekly Bible Study. The sacrament of Infant Baptism with its comfort and hope was recently observed in the English Church." (update in today's bulletin)
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS
The 2022 Young People's Convention is now history. An amazing week of spiritual growth through God's Word, Christian friendship and fellowship, good food, and wholesome fun was enjoyed by the young people and chaperones at Cedarmore Camp in Bagdad, Kentucky. We thank the Lord for the blessing of being able to gather together again in full convention after a two-year hiatus. May the theme of "Rejoicing in Our God" continue to live in our young people's hearts as they return to their normal lives. Visit the PRYPC Facebook page for photos and videos.
Seminary History Class: Prof. D. Kuiper’s PRCA history class will resume this week Wednesday, August 10, 7:30 p.m. at SW PRC (Wyoming, MI). The topic of the week is the PRCA in the Depression Years. The class will meet again on the Wednesdays of August 17 and 24 (7:30 p.m.) at Southwest PRC. Recordings of past classes are available on the seminary’s YouTube channel. A pdf of handouts is available from Prof. Kuiper by request.
- Home missions: Zion PRC (Jenison, MI) has formed a new trio for domestic missionary: Rev. J. Laning (Hull PRC), Rev. D. Noorman (Southwest PRC), and Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC). The congregation will call TONIGHT.
- Philippines mission:
- Rev. D. Kleyn and Sharon are currently in the U.S. for a six-week furlough. They plan to return on August 22, the Lord willing. May the Lord bless their furlough and grant them rest and refreshment as well.
- Related to the above is this news item in Covenant of Grace PRC's (Spokane, WA) bulletin today: "Pastor Daniel Kleyn is scheduled to lead our second service today. We welcome him and his wife to our fellowship! The Council has also asked Pastor Kleyn to show a brief presentation on the missionary work in the Philippines after the second service today. It will be an informative event that will help us all pray understandingly for the work in The Philippines and our missionaries there."
- And this one in the Grand Rapids, MI area: "Rev. Daniel Kleyn will be giving a presentation on the work being done in the Philippines. This presentation will be at Trinity PRC on Sunday August 21 at 7:30 PM. It will be streamed on Trinity’s sermon audio page as well for those interested, but unable to attend in person."
PRC Seminary Notices:
- The seminary continues in its summer break. Continue to pray for the faculty, students, and staff as they stay busy with other labors and activities. The first semester of the 2022-23 school year will begin, D.V. on Tuesday, August 30.
- Prof. D. Kuiper is currently teaching a class on the history of the PRCA from 1924-1949. Prof. D. Kuiper’s PRCA history class will resume this week Wednesday, August 10 at SW PRC (Wyoming, MI) at 7:30 p.m. The topic of the week is the PRCA in the Depression Years. It plans to meet again on the Wednesdays of August 17 and 24 at Southwest PRC. Recordings of past classes are available on the seminary’s YouTube channel. A pdf of handouts is available from Prof. Kuiper by request.
- This month Sem. M. Koerner began his internship in Hope PRC-Grand Rapids under Rev. J. Mahtani. Sem. A. Haveman has plenty of preaching assignments this summer (after being licensed at the semester), in addition to another mission trip, this time to Mexico (August).
- The seminary is open daily from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., including the library and bookstore. PRC members and friends are welcome to visit and make use of these resources.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
Let's remember in prayer our brothers and sister in the EPC of Australia.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore and her Kolkata, India mission work:
- Pastor J. Tan is faithfully serving the CERC each week as her pastor. Pastor Tan was ill today and Cand. M. Wee led her services.
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland:
- Rev. A. Stewart continues to minister the Word faithfully to the saints in Ballymena.
- The June 2022 issue of "Covenant Reformed News" has been released. Follow the link to read the latest profitable articles by Revs. A. Stewart and R. Hanko.
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- Rev. D. Kleyn and his wife are currently taking their six-week furlough in the U.S. They plan to return on August 22, the Lord willing.
- Berean PRC bulletin: Rev. R. Smit led her services today. "Rev. Ibe and elder Oriarte are scheduled to visit the saints in All of Grace Protestant Reformed Fellowship (AGPRF) on Saturday [August 6]. Ptr. Ibe will lead them in their worship service at 9AM and in their Bible Study at 11AM, God willing."
- Provident PRC bulletin: "Elder Bien will lead in our worship services and will use Video recordings of sermons of Prof. B. Huizinga from PRCA for the preaching of God’s Word in our worship services today."
- This month Rev. C. Haak (Georgetown PRC - Hudsonville, MI) is once again speaking for the RWH. He will complete the series on the book of Nehemiah and then give some messages from Romans 8. Today's message is based on Nehemiah 13:30,31 and titled "Remember Me, O My God, for Good."
Are you interested in learning more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
- The Reformed Book Outlet (downtown Hudsonville, MI) will be opening at their new store on August 10 - this week Wednesday! Our new location is at 3472 Harvey St. in Hudsonville. Our website has also been redone to make it easier for customers, especially those who aren’t local, to browse our inventory, see descriptions of most of the items, and choose between shipping or local pickup at our store during business hours. Be sure to check it out!
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- The PR Sunday School Association also publishes complete OT and NT Bible Story Lessons for young children and older children. Visit this page to learn more.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation
"Here is a breast of comfort to every believer — Christ is all. When a Christian sees a deficiency in himself, he may see an all-sufficiency in his Savior! He who has Christ, has no lack — for "Christ is all!" In the hour of death, a believer may rejoice. When he leaves all — he is possessed of all. A godly man says, "I fear not death, because I have Christ to go to! Death will but carry me to that torrent of divine pleasure, which runs at His right hand forevermore!" I have the desire to depart and be with Christ — which is far better!"
~ Thomas Watson [found in Lynden PRC's bulletin this week]