On this second Lord's Day of August 2017 (August13) we note the following news and information from PRC congregations, mission fields, and sister churches.
- This morning Candidate Joe Holstege accepted the call to Zion PRC. We praise God for His provision of a place for this candidate and a first pastor for this new congregation.
- Candidate Justin Smidstra continues to consider the calls from Southwest PRC (Grandville, MI - received July 16) and from First PRC of Holland MI(received July 30).
- Candidate Matt DeBoer continues to consider the call from Edgerton PRC, received on July 23.
- Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) extended a call to Rev. E. Guichelaar (Randolph, WI PRC) on August 6.
- From Byron Center PRC's Council: Pastor Spriensma’s farewell sermon is scheduled for September 17 during the morning worship service. His installation as home missionary is scheduled for September 17 during the evening worship service. The Council has put together a trio of pastors to vote from in order to extend a call to be our new pastor. The trio consists of Revs. C. Griess (Calvary PRC, Hull), B. Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA), and A. Lanning (CERC, Singapore). The congregational meeting is set for August 20 after the evening worship service.
- The Synod of 2017 called Rev. D. Kuiper to serve in the PRC Seminary as professor of church history and NT studies, in replacement of Prof. R. Dykstra. On July 2 he announced his acceptance of this call. We give thanks to God for providing a man for this position, and pray for him and his family as well as Edgerton PRC as he makes this transition and prepares for his new post (cf. picture below).
- Rev. Kuiper's farewell from Edgerton PRC is planned for today, August 13.
- His installation as professor is planned for Wednesday, Sept.20, in Faith PRC, D.V.
SISTER-CHURCH NEWS - This bulletin information from Covenant PRC in Ballymena, N. Ireland pertains to her pastor's current furlough in the U.S., which concludes this week:
The Stewarts will be in N. America from 17 July to 14 August. The Lord’s Day schedule in the CPRC while Rev. Stewart is away is as follows:
13 August - Rev. Bleyenberg preaches, with tea after the evening service—Group A on the tea rota (Pastor preaches in Providence and Hudsonville in Michigan)
20 August - Rev. McGeown preaches (Pastor preaches in the LRF)
- On July 30 Rev. A. Spriensma ACCEPTED Byron Center PRC's call to serve as home missionary. We thank the Lord for providing us a home missionary once again and we pray for pastor Spriensma and Byron Center PRC as they transition to this new position. His installation as missionary is scheduled for Sept.17 during the evening service.
- On July 24 Doon PRC voted to extend a call to Rev. C. Spronk to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines. He continues to consider this call.
- From the bulletin of Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
- Today, Sem. Matt Kortus will lead both of our worship services. Rev. Holstege will teach the Church Order at 10:15. The Kortus’s will be in the Berean PRC next Sunday. Then they will return to the U.S. on Monday, August 21, Lord willing. Matt will begin his third year of seminary this month. Let’s pray for him and the other students.
This Wednesday, August 16, Rev. Holstege will review Heads III/IV of the Canons of Dordt by looking at the Rejection of Errors. We will begin at 7:30 pm. You are all encouraged to join us.
Last week, Rev. Kleyn preached at Southeast PRC in Grand Rapids, Michigan and gave a speech at the PRCA Young People’s Convention. Today he will preach at Crete PRC in Illinois and give them a presentation on our mission work. The Kleyns plan to return to the Philippines on Tuesday, August 29.
The Kleyns' recently posted pictures and descriptions of the summer mission internship of Seminarian Matt Kortus. Below are a couple of samples. Find more at the link provided.
Participating in the 7M meeting
Leading the worship service at Provident CC, Marikina