The following are special highlights of PRC and sister-church News for this Sunday, September 6, 2020, the thirty-sixth Lord's Day of this year.
- Kalamazoo PRC's Consistory has announced a new trio: Rev. Rodney Kleyn, Covenant of Grace PRC, Spokane, Washington, Rev. James Laning, Hull PRC, and Rev. Stephan Regnerus, Lynden PRC. A special congregational meeting will be held following the evening worship service of September 6, Lord willing. UPDATE: Rev. R. Kleyn has received this call.
- Rev. M. DeBoer (Edgerton PRC) has been considering the call from Cornerstone PRC (Dyer, IN - received August 9). Today he declined this call.
- The Council of Hudsonville PRC has presented a trio to the congregation from which to call a new pastor: Revs. J. Engelsma (Doon, IA), R. Kleyn (Covenant of Grace, Spokane, WA), and C. Spronk (Faith, Jenison). A congregational meeting is scheduled for Sunday evening, September 20 following the evening service.
- Rev. M. Vanderwal (Wingham ON PRC) has accepted the call to First PRC, Edmonton, AB (August 16). He plans to preach his farewell in Wingham PRC next Sunday, Sept.13.
- Let us remember in prayer the needs of Rev. J. Marcus, who awaits a call to the churches, of Rev. M. McGeown, who awaits permission to enter the States to be installed in Providence PRC, and of Covenant ERC, our sister church in Singapore, as she awaits both pulpit supply from the PRC and a call for minister-on-loan through Grandville PRC - both on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- For those who may still be limited to house worship, whether completely or partially, we invite you to visit the PR churches page and follow the links to the websites where the churches' livestream may be found.
- Did you know that:
- The Dordt University (Sioux Center, IA) Bible Study is scheduled to begin another season of study on Mondays beginning September 14 at 7 p.m.? The Bible study will meet in classroom #1316. All college-age students (NWC, NCC, etc) are welcome to attend. For those in attendance, face masks are required as well as six feet of social distancing.
Byron Center PRC, host of this week's Classis East meeting
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS:
- Classis East is scheduled to meet in Byron Center PRC this Wednesday, September 9, beginning at 8 am. The consistory of Byron Center has decided to host Classis as a "necessary meeting" subject to COVID restrictions imposed on such meetings by the State of Michigan that limits attendance to delegates, staff, and those with material on the agenda. We pray for a meeting marked by good order, biblical principles, and brotherly love, according to the Spirit of truth.
- The 2020 PRC Acts of Synod has arrived from the printer and is in process of being distributed to the congregations. If you have not yet received yours, seek out your congregational clerk, the stated clerk, or contact the seminary.
- 2020 edition of the Church Order: The 2020 edition of the ring-bound Church Order book is now available and may be ordered through the PRC Seminary (616-531-1490). As per synodical decision, these books are updated every five years to incorporate new synodical decisions affecting them. In addition to the Church Order, this book also contains such things as the Constitutions of all synodical committees, the Rules of Synodical Procedure, the Explanation of the Rules for Protests/Appeals/Overtures and the denomination's Articles of Incorporation and By-laws. All these are of most practical use to the office bearers. But, all of our families would do well to cultivate a knowledge of and interest in Protestant Reformed church polity. If you already have the six-ring green binder, you need only order the new inserts ($4.00). The inserts with the binder with the 2020 edition is $10.00. Payment can be made to the PRCA after you receive your materials
- Classis West is scheduled to meet in Edgerton (MN) PRC on Wednesday, September 23.
Special PRC Seminary Notices:
- Seminary has begun its first semester of the 2020-21 school year onsite and in person. Two weeks into the new term and all is well, for which we give thanks to God. Pray for the professors, students, and staff as they have taken up a new season of training for the ministry of the Word.
- Due to the current restrictions on indoor gatherings in the state of Michigan, the Theological School Committee has cancelled the 2020 seminary convocation (usually held in early September). The plan is to have a news report in the October 1 Standard Bearer, including an introduction to the students. Watch for that in the near future!
- For several years, the seminary faculty have permitted auditors to audit some classes. The presence and input of the auditors has been appreciated. With regret, because of COVID restrictions, the faculty is not inviting any auditors this semester. This decision will be reviewed at the end of the semester with a view to Interim 2021 and the second semester.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore:
- Do continue to pray that the coronavirus pandemic can be over sooner so that we could resume calling the MOL and request for pulpit supply from our sister churches. As you are aware, travel restrictions are still in place between many countries and that makes it impossible for any PRCA ministers to travel to Singapore in the coming months to assist us in the pulpit supply but we still need to make plans and provision.
- A new issue of "Reformed News Asia" was published this past week (August 2020, #61). Read all about it here.
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland: Be sure to read the latest issue of the "Covenant Reformed News" - August 2020!
- PRC in the Philippines: (Maranatha PRC bulletin)
- The government put Metro Manila and nearby provinces under the General Community Quarantine (GCQ) up to September 30, 2020 [extended once again]. The guidelines are reiterated: 1) Everyone should stay home under the GCQ, except frontliners and those who are buying essentials with their Quarantine Pass. 2) Small gatherings, including religious ones, are allowed to ten participants. 3) Island travel and domestic flights are permitted. 4) Classified transportation are allowed to ply with limited passengers only.
- The latest PRCP newsletter was published this month - have you read the August 2020 report?
- Are we continuing to pray for our dear brothers and sisters throughout the world as they also face trials and tribulations? May we show the communion of saints in this way too.
- Currently Rev. A. Spriensma (PRC home missionary) is delivering the messages, and this month he concludes his messages on the truth of God's covenant of grace. Today's message is titled "The Horn of Salvation Raised Up" based on Luke 1:72. Listen to the broadcast on the station near you, on your favorite podcast, or visit the links provided here to listen to this program.
REFORMED RESOURCES FOR EDIFICATION, EDUCATION, and EVANGELISM:
The Reformed Book Outlet in downtown Hudsonville, MI (across the parking lot from Gemmens Hardware)
- Are you desirous to learn more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation:
In what way is David’s flight connected to the church? We have many enemies who taunt us and persecute us. When we are in need of rescue, we can only turn to our faithful covenant God, even when it appears as if He has abandoned us and we are surrounded by our foes. Pray this psalm when you feel as though the enemies of God surround you. Pray this psalm for the persecuted church today. Seek shelter in the knowledge that the Christ has lived, suffered, died, and undergone exile from the benevolent presence of God so that we will not know this judgment. Sing this psalm as a song of praise as we celebrate the mercy and love of Christ and His righteous judgment against the wicked. He will smite all our enemies upon the check bone and break the teeth of the ungodly. Do not lose heart. As David had confidence and peace in face of trials, may we also! Pray like David that God will comfort you through Christ and the presence of His Holy Spirit. No matter what storms might swirl around you, you will know peace and rest. Rejoice, for salvation belongs to the Lord and His anointed. Indeed, may His blessing be upon us, the people of God.
From this past week's special meditation by Rev. A. Spriensma, PRC home missionary - "Divine Confidence" (Psalm 3)