On this twenty-ninth Lord's Day of 2019, July 21, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be mentioned.
- On July 14 Cand. M. Kortus received the call to Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB). He is leading her in worship again today. The next two Sundays will be supplied by Rev. R. Barnhill of Peace PRC (Dyer, IN).
- On July 11 the congregation of Grandville PRC voted to extend a call to Rev. J. Engelsma (Doon IA PRC) to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. He plans to answer by August 18. We pray for him and his family as he considers this important call.
- The PRC Synod of 2019 called Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) to replace Prof. Cammenga as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament. On June 30 he accepted this call. He plans to preach his farewell in Hope PRC today. His installation as professor of theology is set for Wednesday Sept.4 at Grandville PRC (7 pm). May God uphold him and his family and provide for all their needs as they bid farewell to their congregation and take up their new life and work in the seminary.
- Due to Hope PRC's (Redlands, CA) approaching vacancy (cf. note above), the Council has formed the following trio: Rev. J. Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC), and Candidates M. Kortus and J. Maatman. The congregation plans to vote today after the evening service. *Cand. M. Kortus has received this call.
- The Council of Southeast PRC (Grand Rapids, MI) has formed a new trio consisting of Rev. J. Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC), and Candidates M. Kortus and J. Maatman. The congregation will vote from this trio TODAY after the evening service. *Cand. J. Maatman has received this call. And a reminder: The congregation is currently worshiping at Adams Christian School in Wyoming, MI, while she looks for a new location. Today, Prof. R. Cammenga and Rev. N. Decker are leading the worship services for her.
- From First PRC's bulletin today comes this important note: "The Lord willing, on July 31, a delegation of Prof. R. Cammenga, Rev. R. Kleyn, and Rev. C. Griess will be making a trip to Mexico to give lectures in two different denominations of churches. Doner Bartolon and Samuel Vasquez (Redlands PRC) will be translating. Susanna Bartolon, Lael Griess, Rhonda Cammenga, Bryan Pastoor, Madelyn Monsma and Lydia Monsma will be assisting as well. The delegation plans to return August 12, the Lord willing. Remember these brothers and sisters in prayer as they prepare for the trip, and may God grant good fellowship in Christ."
- And from Covenant PRC's (Spokane, WA) bulletin today we find this similar note: "Next Wednesday, July 31, our pastor will travel to Mexico City with a delegation including Prof. Cammenga and Rev. Griess (as well as the Bartolon’s) for a two-week visit. This visit will include conferences at the Lluvias de Gracia Church (National Presbyterian Church) and the Juan Calvino Seminary (Independent Presbyterian Church) as well as speeches at the General Assembly of the NPC and among the IPC congregations in Chiapas. The visitors will also have opportunity to preach in these two denominations. Conference and speech topics include: Eschatology, Training for Office Bearers, Women in Office, The Sacraments, the Synod of Dort, and a Critique of Reformational Theology."
- From Byron Center PRC: "The Council of BC PRC would like to inform members of our denomination that on Sunday, July 7, our church will begin holding separate worship services for members from our church hoping to form a daughter church. The worship services will be held at Zion Christian School in Byron Center, MI at 9:30 AM and 5PM."
PRC Synod 2019:
- Synod (in First PR Church of Grand Rapids, MI) met from June 11-17. The daily reports with pictures may be found here.
- The PRC Synod of 2019 called Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) to replace Prof. Cammenga as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament. On June 30 he accepted this call. His installation as professor of theology is set for Wednesday Sept.4 during a divine worship service at Grandville PRC (7 pm).
- The PRC Synod of 2019 declared Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman candidates for the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC. They are eligible for a call on or after July 13, 2019.
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Nine of our 39 active ministers are 63 years of age and older. The next prospect for seminary graduates in our churches is not for another four years. Then those nine ministers will be 67 and older. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry.
The lodge at Gull Lake Ministries, location of this Fall's Senior Retreat
- Registration for the Senior Retreat (Sept 17-20) is open. Have you sent in your reservation? Deadline is August 1, so don’t delay. Come and enjoy fellowship with others from around the country. If you have questions call Barb Velthouse at 1-616-745-0770 or go to zionprc.org. The dates are Sept 17-20 at Gull Lake Ministries (MI). The theme is ‘God’s Care For Us.’ Forms are available at Zion PRC's website. Click on Senior Retreat.
PRC Seminary News:
- The PRC Synod of 2019 called Rev. Brian Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) to replace Prof. Cammenga as Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament. On June 30 he accepted this call. His installation as professor of theology is set for Wednesday Sept.4 during a divine worship service at Grandville PRC (7 pm). May God uphold him and his family and provide for all their needs as they bid farewell to their congregation and take up their new life and work in the seminary.
- The seminary is now in its summer break. The faculty will be busy with various trips and speaking engagements. Prof. B. Gritters is curretly in Australia for a conference on the Synod of Dordt. Prof. R. Cammenga will be leaving for Mexico next week for several conferences in the Mexico City area. With the construction project and library renovation continuing, there is still plenty of activity at the seminary (see note below). In addition, faculty and staff continue preparing for the new semester in the Fall. The seminary is open daily (M-F) during the summer (except for holidays) and staff is available to assist with any needs.
- The seminary's two 2019 graduates, Matt Kortus and Jacob Maatman, sustained their synodical examinations at the PRC 2019 Synod and were declared candidates for the ministry of the Word and sacraments in the PRC. They are eligible for a call on or after July 13, 2019.
- One of the new students entering seminary this Fall is Isaac Peters from the EPC of Australia. Isaac and his wife Rebecca and four children arrived safely in Grand Rapids, MI on July 10. Grace PRC is assisting in their needs while here, and they will be attending this congregation. We pray for a smooth transition for the Peters into life in West Michigan.
- The Spring 2019 issue of the PR Theological Journal is now available! For those on our mailing list, your issue has been mailed. For back issues, visit the seminary journal page. If you wish to be added to our mailing list, contact the seminary's secretary. In addition, a new index to all past issues has been posted on the Journal's archives page.
- If you have not yet done so, visit the new PRC seminary website! There are many new features and updates, including a blog. Visit the site and check out the various pages - and sign up to receive seminary news by email! The library is also online there (under Resources). If you are looking for a particular book to read or use, or just want to browse, visit the library page.
- Work continues on the seminary addition/renovation project, both inside and out (new archives and offices). This past week more work was completed in the new offices (doors, trim work, HVAC - see photo above). In the library, the focus continues on the trim work. Outside, topsoil was brought in ahead of reseeding the back yard area and the underground sprinkling was reconnected. Visit the seminary news section for pics and more information.
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. denHartog and his wife are currently serving the congregation on behalf of the PRC Contact Committee. Concerning this supply and the future the CERC had this notice in today's bulletin: "...We are again thankful to God for providing Pastor den Hartog to preach for us for the last four months. Next week will be his last Lord’s day with us. We are thankful to God for him and Sherry for their love for the saints in Covenant. After Pastor den Hartog, the Lord has provided Rev Jonathan Mahtani to take the pulpit for three Lord’s day."
- *On July 11 Rev. J. Engelsma (Doon PRC) received the call from Grandville PRC to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. From her bulletin today we find this note: "We heard last Lord’s day that Grandville PRC has extended a call to Rev Joshua Engelsma to serve as Minister on Loan (MOL) to Singapore. We continue to pray that the Lord will make it clear to him His will as he considers this call. Rev Engelsma has acknowledged receipt of this call and will answer the call on 18 August."
- Her latest newsletter (June 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- The last issue of the young peoples' magazine, Salt Shakers (June 2019) may be found on this page.
- Concerning our newest sister, the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC:
Rev. R.Smit is leading her in worship today.
- Rev. V. Ibe is considering the call to serve as PRCP missionary in Albuera, Leyte.
- Dear PRCP congregations, The Theological School Committee of the PRCP (Committee #1) announces to our PRCP congregations with much thanksgiving to our covenant God that, after many months of planning and preparation, seminary training will begin on Tuesday, August 13, 2019. The Classis approved in June 2019 that Bro. Jeremiah B. Pascual, a member of the First PRCP in Bulacan, be approved as a seminary student, beginning his training in August 2019. The Classis approved in February 2019 that Rev. Holstege (Hermeneutics), Rev. Kleyn (Church History and Homiletics), and Rev. Smit (Greek and Dogmatics: Theology, Anthropology) teach our students. Brethren, we earnestly covet your prayers and support in this work as we seek with the Lord’s indispensable blessings to train faithful, Reformed preachers for our churches."
- PRC in Bulacan:
"PRC in Bulacan, (the calling church of the mission work in Albuera, Leyte) extends the call to Rev. Ibe (Berean PRC) to serve as missionary/pastor with the saints in Albuera, Leyte.
- Revs. Flores and Ibe are in Albuera, Leyte this weekend and Lord's Day (July 18-21, 2019).
- Maranatha PRC:
- "Rev. L. Trinidad, our Pastor will lead us in both services. He will be teaching the Revelation. D.V. Next week Rev. D. Kleyn, our Missionary will lead us the first and Second services. He will continue teaching the Belgic Confession. D.V."
- Provident CC:
- "Rev. Kleyn will preach for us today, and Rev. Holstege will preach for us next Sunday.
- Rev. and Leah Holstege are still in Brisbane, Australia for a few more days. Rev. Holstege was invited to speak at a conference (this past Friday and Saturday) on the Synod of Dordt sponsored by the Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Australia (EPCA). He will also preach there today and give a presentation concerning the churches here in the Philippines. They plan to return home on Wednesday, DV."
- And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions (bulletins).
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
- Plans have been made for a Dordt400 conference involving EPC and PRC men. Prof. B. Gritters and Rev. D. Holstege are participating in that event this week.
- Plans have been made for a Dordt400 conference involving EPC and PRC men. Prof. B. Gritters and Rev. D. Holstege are participating in that event this week.
Want to study the issue of common grace vs. particular grace? Read this helpful resource!
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer.
- You can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio! Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons read by Elijah Roberts. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- This week Rev. C. Griess (pastor of First PRC in Grand Rapids, MI) continues a three-month commitment to the program with a special series on the Five Points of Calvinism (for Dordt400) under the theme "Limited Atonement" (2) (which you may listen to at this link).
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee: *Have you checked out our newsletters? If you would like to receive them digitally in your emailbox, please sign up for our bimonthly newsletter here: ehttp://epurl.com/gikNsL. This month's newsletter contained this interesting information:
*Mark your calendar for our 4000th broadcast! On September 1, 2019 we will be airing "Whosoever Will May Come," by Rev. Herman Hoeksema to celebrate 4000 broadcasts of the RWH. This is the original audio from October 1944. Be sure to tune in on September 1 to hear this great message on salvation by sovereign grace!
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Look for new messages each week - and help spread the word!
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The 2019 PRYP's Convention is only weeks away! Southwest & Providence PRCs are hosting the 2019 PRC Young People's Convention on August 12-16, the Lord willing. The convention will be held at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI.
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (June 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
Read about developments in this congregation in the latest Philippine mission newsletter (July 2019).
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church.
- *From Byron Center PRC's bulletin today we find this note: "Missionary Spriensma is preaching at Cornerstone PRC today."
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown is back in his own pulpit today.
- Rev. McGeown will speak in Margam Community Centre, Margam, Port Talbot, Wales on Thursday 25 July at 7.15 PM on “The Development of God’s Covenant” (5): “Jacob” (Part 2).
- The March 2019 newsletter of the Limerick Reformed Fellowship mission station was received and posted recently.
- PRC in Bulacan, (the calling church of the mission work in Albuera, Leyte) extended the call to Rev. Ibe (Berean PRC) to serve as missionary/pastor with the saints in Albuera, Leyte.
- The last Philippines mission newsletter was received and posted back in July 2019 and may be found on this PRC webpage.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh.
- Brian Huizinga
- Immanuel PRC
- Reformed literature
- young people activities
- Martyn McGeown
- Audred Spriensma
- missions and evangelism
- PRC Seminary
- sister church relations
- ministerial calls
- Reformed Book Outlet
- Myanmar missions
- PRC young adult retreats
- India mission work
- Emmanuel Singh
- Rodney Kleyn
- Joshua Engelsma
- Angus Stewart
- Jacob Maatman
- Matt Kortus
- Daniel Kleyn
- Barrett Gritters
- Cory Griess
- Ronald Cammenga