1. My God, my God, I cry to Thee;
O why hast Thou forsaken me?
Afar from Me, Thou dost not heed,
Though day and night for help I plead.
2. But Thou art holy in Thy ways,
Enthroned upon Thy people's praise;
Our fathers put their trust in Thee,
Believed, and Thou didst set them free.
3. They cried, and, trusting in Thy Name,
Were saved, and were not put to shame.
But in the dust My honor lies,
While all reproach and all despise.
4. My words a cause for scorn they make,
The lip they curl, the head they shake,
And, mocking, bid me trust the Lord
Till He salvation shall afford.
5. My trust on Thee I learned to rest
When I was on My mother's breast;
From birth Thou art my God alone,
Thy care My life has ever known.
6. O let Thy strength and presence cheer,
For trouble and distress are near;
Be Thou not far away from Me,
I have no source of help but Thee.
7. Unnumbered foes would do Me wrong,
They press about Me, fierce and strong,
Like beasts of prey their rage they vent,
My courage fails, My strength is spent.
8. Down unto death Thou leadest Me,
Consumed by thirst and agony;
With cruel hate and anger fierce
My helpless hands and feet they pierce.
9. While on My wasted form they stare,
The garments torn from Me they share,
My shame and sorrow heeding not,
And for My robe they cast the lot.
10. O Lord, afar no longer stay;
O Thou my helper, haste, I pray;
From death and evil set Me free;
I live, for Thou didst answer Me.
11. I live and will declare Thy fame
Where brethren gather in Thy Name;
Where all Thy faithful people meet,
I will Thy worthy praise repeat.
- Psalter #: 47
- # Stanzas: 11
- Metre: L.M.
- Video: No
- Psalm: 22
- Type: Normal