1. Jehovah, to my prayer give ear,
Nor hide Thee from my cry;
Attend my sad complaint, and hear
My restless moan and sigh.
2. My enemies lift up their voice,
The violent oppress;
To do me wrong my foes rejoice,
And love my soul's distress.
3. Sore pained in heart I find no ease,
Death's terrors fill my soul,
Great fear and trembling on me seize,
And horrors o'er me roll.
4. O had I wings, I sigh and say,
Like some swift dove to roam,
Then would I hasten far away
And find a peaceful home.
5. Lo, wandering far my rest should be
In some lone desert waste;
I from the stormy wind would flee,
And to a shelter haste.
6. O Lord, their malice recompense,
Their wicked tongues confound,
For in the city violence
And bitter strife abound.
7. They walk her walls both night and day,
Within all vices meet;
Oppression, fraud, and crime hold sway,
Nor leave the crowded street.
8. No foreign foe provokes alarm,
But enemies within;
May God destroy their power to harm
And recompense their sin.
- Psalter #: 148
- # Stanzas: 8
- Metre: C.M.
- Video: No
- Psalm: 55
- Type: Normal