On this first Sunday in May 2017, the following news and information from PRC congregations and mission fields may be reported:
- Last Sunday, April 30, First PRC, Holland MI voted to extend a call to Rev. C. Haak (Georgetown PRC).
- Rev. G. Eriks (Hudsonville PRC) is considering the call from Zion PRC (received April 23).
- Rev. C. Griess (Calvary PRC, Hull, IA) is considering the call from Southwest PRC (received on April 16). *UPDATE: It was announced yesterday that Rev. C. Griess had declined this call.
- From several PRC bulletins we learn about this matter of prayer concerning Rev. Ron Hanko, pastor of Lynden, WA PRC:
- Rev. Ron Hanko (Lynden, WA) is scheduled to undergo surgery on Tuesday in Seattle, WA, to remove a tumor from his appendix. The surgery is expected to be lengthy (several hours), as is the recovery from the operation (several weeks). Remember the Hankos and the Lynden congregation in your prayers during this difficult time for them.
- The congregation of Byron Center PRC will vote TODAY from a new trio of ministers from which to call a home missionary: Rev. C. Haak (Georgetown PRC), Rev. S. Key (Loveland PRC), and Rev. C. Spronk (Faith PRC). *UPDATE: Rev. C. Haak received this call.
- The Council of Doon PRC has formed a new trio for calling a third missionary to the Philippines: Rev. Garry Eriks (Hudsonville PRC), Rev. Clay Spronk (Faith PRC), and Rev. Heath Bleyenberg (Providence PRC). Doon PRC will have a congregational meeting on May 14 to call one of these men.
- From the Provident Christian Church bulletin for today we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today andin this coming week:
- Rev. Holstege will preach both times today at PCC.The second sermon will teach us about giving, focusing on what is called “the general fund.” Rev.Kleyn will preach at Maranatha PRC today.
- Today at 1:30, Rev. Holstege will lead the Youth Fellowship and Bible Study. We will discuss thesubject of the first sermon: honoring father andmother. All the youth are welcome to attend.
- From Hope PRC's Council: The delegation of Rev. Jim Laning, elder John Van Baren, and their wives arrived safely in Myanmar this past week for two weeks of labor, giving instruction and encouragement to the saints there. Several new updates have been given. You can follow their activity on the prca.org bulletins page. Select “Mission Stations” and click on “Myanmar Memoirs” for the updates. Remember our Myanmar people and the delegation in your prayers. Below are a couple of pictures of the seminar held in Yangon, led by Rev. J. Laning.
Men gathered for seminar on the Reformed doctrine of the church.
Rev. J. Laning giving presentation on the Reformed doctrine of the church.
Also, in CLASSIS NEWS, Classis East is due to meet this Wednesday, May 10, at Byron Center PRC. An officebearers' conference is scheduled for Tuesday night (7 PM) at the church, with Prof. D. Engelsma speaking on "Pastoral Treatment of Spousal (Wife) Abuse in the PRC". Past, present and prospective office bearers are urged to attend this timely speech.