On this third Lord's Day of August 2017 (August 20) we note the following news and information from PRC congregations and mission fields.
- On August 13 Candidate Joe Holstege accepted the call to Zion PRC. We praise God for His provision of a place for this candidate and a first pastor for this new congregation.
- Candidate Justin Smidstra continues to consider the calls from Southwest PRC (Grandville, MI - received July 16) and from First PRC of Holland MI (received July 30).
- Candidate Matt DeBoer continues to consider the call from Edgerton PRC, received on July 23.
- Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) extended a call to Rev. E. Guichelaar (Randolph, WI PRC) on August 6.
- Rev. T. Miersma (Immanuel PRC, Lacombe) continues to make preparations for his emeritation in September. He and his wife moved into their new home this week. His farewell sermon and program are planned for the afternoon service next week Sunday, August 27.
- Rev. Doug Kuiper (professor-elect at the PRC Seminary) preached his farewell in Edgerton PRC on August 13. He and his family moved to West Michigan this past week. Soon he will begin classes at Calvin Theological Seminary for his ThM degree. His installation as professor is set for Wednesday, Sept.20, in Faith PRC, 7 p.m.
- From Byron Center PRC's Council: Pastor Spriensma’s farewell sermon is scheduled for September 17 during the morning worship service. His installation as home missionary is scheduled for September 17 during the evening worship service. The Council has put together a trio of pastors to vote from in order to extend a call to be our new pastor. The trio consists of Revs. C. Griess (Calvary PRC, Hull), B. Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA), and A. Lanning (CERC, Singapore). The congregational meeting is set for August 20 after the evening worship service. *UPDATE: Rev. B. Huizinga has received this call.
- And Covenant of Grace PRC (Spokane, WA) included this note in her bulletin, which we ought not forget: "These candidates are still awaiting calls: Brian Feenstra, Jonathan Langerak, David Noorman and Stephan Regnerus. We continue to pray for them during this time of waiting and that God will confirm their call to the ministry with the objective call from a congregation."
- On July 30 Rev. A. Spriensma ACCEPTED Byron Center PRC's call to serve as home missionary. We thank the Lord for providing us a home missionary once again and we pray for pastor Spriensma and Byron Center PRC as they transition to this new position. His installation as missionary is scheduled for Sept.17 during the evening service.
- On July 24 Doon PRC voted to extend a call to Rev. C. Spronk to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines. This morning it was announced in Doon PRC and in Faith PRC (his current congregation) that he had DECLINED this call.
- From the bulletins of the Berean PRC in Manila and the Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
Provident CC) - A warm welcome to all our visitors today, including Rev. Vernon Ibe who will preach the Word of the Lord to us and lead us in worship. Rev. Holstege is preaching at the PRC of Bulacan today. Thus, there will be no Church Order class today. Rev. Holstege will preach, teach CO, and lead Youth Fellowship next Sunday, August 27.
Sem. Matt Kortus is leading the worship services at the Berean PRC today. Matt and Sarah will return to the U.S.A. tomorrow, August 21, Lord willing. We thank them for their good teaching, witness, and fellowship during these past 8 weeks. We thank the PRCA for sending them into our midst for a short time. And we pray that the Lord will bless them and keep them as they go home and continue their life and work in Michigan.
Today Rev. Kleyn will preach at Faith PRC in Michigan and give a presentation on our mission work in the Philippines. The Kleyns plan to return home on Tuesday, August 29.
- (Berean PRC) - Our pastor [Rev. V. Ibe] is also scheduled to preach at Kerusso Community church inTondo Manila today @ 3P.M. the Lord willing. He will also lead the saints there in their study of the Essentials of Reformed Doctrine on Lesson #13 @ 5:30P.M. Our pastor is scheduled to visit the saints in Sitio Karugang, Gabaldon NE on Friday (August 25, 2017). Rev. Ibe will lead the saints there in their study of the Essentials of Reformed doctrine on lesson #13.
Let's remember these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines in our prayers daily. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.
The Kleyns' recently posted pictures and descriptions of the summer mission internship of Seminarian Matt Kortus, which ends today. Below are a couple of samples. Find more at the link provided.
Teaching catechism in Provident CC, Marikina
Dinner with the Consistory of the PRC in Bulacan.