On this September 10, 2017 Day of our risen Lord we note the following news and information from PRC congregations, denominational committees, and mission fields.
- The congregation of Southwest PRC (Wyoming, MI) votes TODAY from the Council's new trio of Rev. A. Lanning (Covenant ERC, Singapore), and Candidates D. Noorman and Stephan Regnerus. *Update: Cand. S. Regnerus has received this call.
- On Sept.3 the congregation of Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) voted to call Cand. Brian Feenstra to serve as her next pastor.
- On August 27 Candidate Justin Smidstra ACCEPTED the call from First PRC of Holland MI, declining the call from Southwest PRC. Plans are being made for him to be examined at a special meeting of Classis East in October.
- On August 27 Candidate Matt DeBoer ACCEPTED the call from Edgerton PRC. Plans are being made for him to be examined at the meeting of Classis West in Hull, IA on Sept.27.
- On August 13 Candidate Joe Holstege accepted the call to Zion PRC. Plans are also being made for him to be examined at a special meeting of Classis East in October.
- From Byron Center PRC's Council:
- Pastor Spriensma’s farewell sermon is scheduled for September 17 during the morning worship service. His installation as home missionary is scheduled for September 17 during the evening worship service.
- On August 20 Rev. B. Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) received the call to take the place of Rev. A. Spriensma. On Sunday Rev. Huizinga DECLINED this call.
Meeting of Classis East this week: Classis East meets this Wednesday, Oct. 13, at Grandville PRC, beginning at 8 a.m.
- Installation for Rev. Doug Kuiper as professor of church history will take place Wednesday, September 20, at Faith PRC in Jenison, MI, to begin at 7pm. Convocation exercises will also be included in which the student body of the seminary will be introduced. Because of installation, this will be an official call to worship for the Faith congregation. However, all are invited to attend and give thanksgiving to God on this joyous occasion.
- From the PRC Contact Committee comes notice of a special trip to South Korea this week by Rev. W. Langerak and Prof. R. Cammenga:
- On August 31, Prof. R. Cammenga and Rev. Wm. Langerak left for S. Korea as representatives of our denomination's Committee for Contact with Other Churches, as authorized by Synod 2017. They are following up on contacts with individuals and with churches. In addition they have been requested to speak at a REFO 500 conference, as well as in three different Reformed seminaries, several churches, and to various groups. They plan to return on Monday, Sept. 11. Pray for them and for the Lord's use of this trip to bring us into close contact with Reformed Christians in this country and in that part of the world.
- If you would like to read some letters about (Prof. R. Cammenga) and see some pictures of this trip (Mr. John Van Baren), visit the PRC bulletin page under "South Korea Letters - Sept. 2017" in the "PR Churches" folder (for registered users only).
- Visitors from Namibia and South Africa. From the Contact Committee: On Tuesday (Sept. 5), DV, three men from a small group of churches in Namibia arrived in west Michigan to visit with the Contact Committee. A minister from Namibia, Rev. Jacobus LeRoux, and an elder from South Africa, Joseph Oosthuizen, will be staying for about 10 days. They are joined by another elder from Namibia, Michael Duvenhage (accompanied by his wife Tiene and three children). The purpose of the visit is to continue discussions of the similarities and differences between their newly forming group of Reformed churches and our denomination. This small group of six churches seeks guidance from the PRCA in the early years of separation from their mother denomination.
- A new PRC Psalter app (Android) has been developed by Hope PRC member Jonathan Vermeer. You will find it in the Google Play store at this link. The app includes lyrics and tunes to all of our Psalter #s and links to the Psalms themselves. Plus, it has a special "night mode" setting for use in the dark (as, for example, for campfire singing).
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Todays' message by radio pastor Rev. C. Haak is "The Creation" based on Genesis 1:1.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- On July 30 Rev. A. Spriensma ACCEPTED Byron Center PRC's call to serve as home missionary. We thank the Lord for providing us a home missionary once again and we pray for pastor Spriensma and Byron Center PRC as they transition to this new position. His installation as missionary is scheduled for Sept.17 during the evening service.
- The Council of Doon PRC has formed a new trio from which to call a man to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines: Revs. Allen Brummel (Heritage PRC, Sioux Falls, SD), Jim Laning (Hull PRC, IA), and Richard Smit (First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI). The congregation plan to call one of these men on September 17.
- From the bulletin of Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
Rev. Holstege will preach both times today. He will teach the Church Order after the first service, from 10:15-10:45. Next Sunday, Lord willing, Revs. Holstege and Kleyn will each preach once.
This Tuesday at 9:30 am, the 7M pastors classes will meet here at PCC.
This Wednesday at 7:30 pm, Rev. Holstege will teach the Canons of Dordt, Head 5, Articles 6-8.
This Saturday at 9:00 am, Rev. Kleyn will teach the catechism class for the children. The children should prepare lesson 13 in the OT History for Juniors.
- From the Maranatha PRC bulletin we find this note: Today, Rev. D. Kleyn will lead our first and second services. Today, we will study Articles 61 - 64 of the Church Order (concerning the Administration of the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper).
- Also, from the Berean PRC we find these mission notes:
- Our pastor [Rev. Vernon Ibe] is also scheduled to preach at Kerusso Community church in Tondo, Manila @ 3P.M. today the Lord willing. He will also lead them in their study of the Essentials of Reformed Doctrine on Lesson #14 @ 5:30P.M.
Our pastor and Elder Alann Peñaverde visited the saints in Sitio Karugang, Gabaldon NE on Friday (Sept 8, 2017). Ptr. Ibe led them in their study of the Essentials of Reformed doctrine on lesson #14. The next scheduled visit of Ptr. Ibe is on Friday (September 22, 2017), the Lord willing.
Let's remember these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines in our prayers daily. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.