On this October 29, 2017 Lord's Day we note the following news and information from PRC congregations, mission fields, and sister churches.
- On Oct.22 Rev. Andy Lanning ACCEPTED the call to Byron Center PRC. From BC's bulletin today we learn this: "Rev. Lanning plans to preach his farewell sermon on December 24 and arrive with his family in Michigan on December 26."
- On October 22 Cand. Stephan Regnerus ACCEPTED the call from Lynden (WA) PRC, DECLINING the call from Southwest PRC (Wyoming, MI). He and pastor-elect Brian Feenstra will be examined at a special meeting of Classis West on Nov.29 in Lynden, D.V.
- The congregation of First PRC (GR) plans to call TODAY from its (now) duo of B. Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands, CA) and C. Griess (Calvary PRC, Hull, IA) [Rev. A. Lanning, who was also on the trio, accepted the call to Byron Center last week]. *UPDATE: Rev. B. Huizinga has received this call.
- This past Tuesday, Oct.24, Rev. Justin Smidstra was ordained into the ministry and installed as the next pastor of First PRC of Holland MI. His inaugural sermon will be preached this Sunday morning.
The Council of SW PRC (Wyoming, MI) announces a new trio from which to call a pastor: Rev. J. Engelsma (Doon PRC), Rev. W. Langerak (Southeast PRC), and Candidate David Noorman. A special congregational meeting has been scheduled for November 5 immediately following the evening worship service.
DENOMINATIONAL and SISTER-CHURCH NEWS:
- Concerning the special PRC Contact Committe delegation currently visiting Singapore and the Philippines: On Oct.25 elder Dave Kregel and Rev. R. Smit travelled "to the Philippines, spending two Sundays there representing our churches to carry out mandates dealing with Synod's approval of our churches becoming sister churches. They will then travel to Singapore for week to visit Covenant ERCS to conduct church visitation. Rev. Smit is to give a number of Reformation speeches in both the Philippines and Singapore as well as preaching a number of sermons. Plans are for them to return Nov.13." We pray for safe travels and for profitable visits and labors for this delegation.
- Prof. D. Engelsma and his wife are currently visiting our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, where he is gving four Reformation lectures (two this past weekend and two next weekend), as well as preach on the three Sundays he is there. Covenant PRC's bulletin included this note: "Rev. Stewart will be preaching in the LRF on 29 October and 5 & 12 November. Our pastor will also be giving a lecture on “Martin Luther’s Great Discovery” in Limerick on Saturday, 28 October. Rev. McGeown will be speaking in the U.S. at Reformation conferences there and will be returning on Thursday, 9 November. He will preach for the CPRC on 12 November."
- The PRC Seminary Reformation 500th Anniversary Conference, which was held this past weekend, Oct.27-28, in Faith PRC (Jenison, MI), was a gratifying success. It was well-attended and the speeches were edifying and encouraging for all who stand in the glorious heritage of the Reformed-Protestant faith. Watch for notices of the speeches to be made available online and in DVD form.
- From Byron Center PRC: PART 1 of Prof. D. Engelsma's Q & A regarding spousal abuse is now available on Byron Center's website, ( www.byronprc.net ). Scroll down the right side of cover page and click on "Part 1". We will announce when the remaining questions are answered and available for viewing.
- If you wish to see pictures of the recent Seniors' Retreat held at Gull Lake in Michigan, sponsored by Grandville and First PRCs (Holland), visit the bulletin page for this link: 2017 Seniors' Retreat Pictures - Gull Lake, MI (registered users only).
Reformed Book Outlet: Check out the special Reformation resources this month! Many titles to choose from - for adults and children!
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Todays' message by radio pastor Rev. W. Bruinsma is titled "God's Saints: The Crown of Rejoicing", based on 1 Thess.2:19,20.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- From Hope PRC's (Grand Rapids, MI) bulletin for this Sunday we note the following special announcement concerning Rev. Titus and their work in Myanmar:
- HOPE PRC’S REFORMED WITNESS COMMITTEE invites you to Covenant CHS Sunday, November 12, at 8:00 pm to attend an informative program concerning Hope’s work in Myanmar with the PRC of Yangon, Myanmar. Rev. Titus Sanceuluai, pastor of the church in Myanmar, along with his wife Certi, will be part of the program. This will be a great way to learn more about the work there, the fellow saints in Myanmar, and get to know Rev. Titus and Certi personally. We look forward to seeing you there.
- On Oct.1 Rev. R. Smit (First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI) ACCEPTED the call of Doon PRC to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines. According to Doon's bulletin this week, "[Rev. Smit] will be installed as our missionary on November 26. The Smits plan to move to the Philippines on December 25. All this, the Lord willing."We give thanks to the Lord of the harvest for providing this next foreign missionary for this abundant field of labor.
- From the Oct.29 bulletins of Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines and the Maranatha PRC in Valenzuela we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
Rev. Holstege will preach both times today. Next Sunday, Lord willing, Rev. Holstege will preach the first sermon and Rev. R. Smit will preach the second. Revs. Kleyn and Smit will preach in the PRC in Bulacan today.
The delegation from the Contact Committee of the PRCA arrived safely last week. Rev. Richard Smit and Elder Dave Kregel plan to stay in the Philippines until Nov. 6. They will meet with officebearers of the PRCP, especially at the meeting of Classis on Nov. 1.
- The Classis will hold the regular meeting on Nov. 1, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. at our Church [Maranatha PRC] and in the afternoon will be the Church visitation.
All are invited to the conference “Reformation 500: The Anniversary” on Oct. 31 starting at 8:00 am here at PCC. The speeches will be: “The Reformation: Historical Overview” by Rev. D. Kleyn, “Martin Luther: His Legacy” by Rev. R. Smit, and “John Calvin: His Doctrine of Providence” by Rev. D. Holstege. Speak to a member of the SC to sign up today! [cf. poster below]
Rev. Smit and his family continue to make preparations to move to the Philippines, Lord willing, at the end of this year. May the Lord bless and keep them as they transition their life.
Let's remember these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines in our prayers daily. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.