On this forty-third Lord's Day of 2019, October 27, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be noted.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "This is indeed a glorious privilege. To know Christ, serve Christ, follow Christ, obey Christ, work in Christ’s vineyard, fight Christ’s battles, all this is no small matter. But for sinful men and women like ourselves to be called ‘friends of Christ,’ is something that our weak minds can hardly grasp and take in. The King of kings and Lords of lords not only pities and saves all them that believe in Him, but actually calls them His ‘friends.’” ~J. C. Ryle
- From the Consistory of Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) comes this note: "New Trio for our congregation consists of: Rev. R. Barnhill (Peace PRC, IN), Rev. H. Bleyenberg (Providence, PRC, MI), and Rev. M. VanderWal (Wingham PRC, ON). Voting for a new minister to shepherd in our midst will take place after the afternoon service next week Sunday." [Nov.3] Today Rev. N. Langerak (Crete PRC) is supplying her pulpit once again. Next week Rev. T. Miersma will lead her services.
- Rev. J. Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC) continues to consider the call from Grandvillle PRC (received Oct.6) to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. He now plans to answer by Nov.3. We include him and his family in our prayers as he weighs this call.
*Georgetown PRC 25th anniversary breakfast held yesterday during part of her celebration at Heritage Christian School in Hudsonville, MI
- *We rejoice with Georgetown PRC who is celebrating her 25th anniversary this weekend and today. This note is found in her bulletin today: "We welcome this morning Pastor Ron VanOverloop to our pulpit and fellowship. Today’s sermons are on the theme for our remembrance of our congregation’s 25th anniversary, Thanking God for Our Treasured Heritage. Both sermons are from Psalm 16. This morning we look at verses 5&6 and reflect back on the Treasured Heritage given to us. We want to see clearly what our Heritage is and its priceless value. This evening we meditate on verses 8&9 and learn the way our Treasured Heritage will be kept in the future, by God’s grace. Only by setting the Lord Always Before us. We welcome visitors today who have come to celebrate with us God’s goodness to us as a congregation."
- The new daughter church (Unity PRC) of Byron Center PRC will be organized this week Wednesday, Oct.31 at 7pm at BC PRC. After the worship service including the organization, there will also be a congregational meeting at which elders and deacons for Unity PRC will be elected.
Reformation Day / Fall Lectures planned by PRC congregations:
- Crete PRC - October 31: "The world around us is becoming increasingly digital; we see many instances of this in society as well as in the church. Digital technology can be used wisely and productively; however, we often do not notice or stop to think about what effects it may be having on our spiritual life. Join us for our fall lecture “Living Wisely in a Digital Age” to be given by Rev. Nate Decker on Thursday, Oct. 31 at Crete Protestant Reformed Church D.V. Rev. Decker will address this topic from a distinct reformed viewpoint and have us consider wisdom in our use of digital media."
- Covenant of Grace PRC (Spokane, WA) - November 1: "Reformation Day Lecture: Prof. R. Dykstra will be here on Friday, November 1, to give a lecture on the subject “Blessed Assurance: Reaffirmed by the Canons of Dort.”
- Hull PRC (IA) - November 1: "On November 1 at 7:00 p.m. the Reformed Witness Committee is hosting a presentation by Prof. B. Gritters on this subject: "The Sabbath Command: The Law That Christians Love to Keep". This presentation will take place at Hull Protestant Reformed Church (1006 Hayes Ave, Hull, IA). Everyone is encouraged to attend. Bring a friend or family member with you. If you can’t be there in person, you can catch it on SermonAudio.com.
- Pittsburgh PRC - November 1: "Our church is hosting our annual Reformation Day lecture on Friday, November 1st at 7 PM. Rev. Bruinsma will speak on the subject, "Ulrich Zwingli and the Restoration of Preaching." Mark your calendars and invite a friend."
- Randolph PRC - November 1: "The Evangelism is preparing for a Reformation Day Presentation to be held at church on Friday, November 1, at 7:30 P.M. Rev. Guichelaar plans to speak on "The Reformation of 1834: A Return to Dordt." The Reformation of 1834 (known as the Afscheiding - the Secession) is where the PRC, the CRC, the URCNA, the CanRC, and the FRCNA all have their spiritual roots. Invite your friends, and those who might have an interest in this history, to the presentation."
- Lynden PRC (WA) - November 8: "The Evangelism Committee is planning a fall lecture that will be given by Prof. Doug Kuiper. The lecture will be about the Swiss Reformation under Ulrich Zwingli. The date of the lecture will be November 8. We look forward to seeing you there!"
- Wingham (ON) PRC - November 8: "The Consistory is holding a Reformation Day Rally on Friday, November 8, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Prof. Ron Cammenga will be speaking on the topic, “What was the Reformation?”
Classis West: Classis West met from Sept.25-27 at Calvary PRC in Hull, IA. It will reconvene on Tuesday November 5 to finish its work. For the full, official report of the stated clerk, visit this special news page on this meeting.
*New display case outside the new PRC archives room (see note below)
PRC Seminary News:
- The seminary is now entering its tenth week of the first semester in the new school year, and faculty, students, and staff stay busy with their respective tasks. This week Thursday and Friday (Oct.31-Nov.1) will be the "reading recess" break for the semester. This is also the time of year when our professors deliver special Reformation Day lectures (see the special Reformation lecture section above). Continue to pray for the seminary.
- The schedule for the first semester has been posted on the seminary's website. If you are interested in visiting, please contact the seminary.
- On Thursday and Friday, October 10 and 11, the PRTS hosted Dr. Nick Willborn, senior pastor of the Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and adjunct professor of church history at Greenville Presbyterian Seminary in Taylors, SC. Dr. Willborn presented two speeches dealing with Southern Presbyterian theologians of the 19th century: "The Theological Distinctives of the 19th-Century Southern Presbyterians" and "The Pastoral Qualities of the 19th-Century Presbyterians." Both presentations are now available on the seminary's YouTube channel.
- Looking for some good Reformed books to read, Bible study materials or seminary publications to use? Come and visit the seminary's bookstore! We have a variety of Bibles, commentaries, and good books - used and new (including Reformation titles!) - for our members and friends. And you may also make use of our library - here's the link to our online catalog if you wish to search for something to read or use.
- Remember the Seminary's Dordt400 Conference in April of this year? The speeches and presentations given at this event have now been compiled, expanded, and edited (by Prof. R. Cammenga) and form the newly published RFPA book, For God's Glory and the Church's Consolation: 400 Years of the Synod of Dordt. Visit the website to order your copy, or come to the seminary bookstore to find one!
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry.
- The finishing touches are being put on the seminary addition and library renovation projects (new archives and offices). A few more work stations await completion in the library yet but more work was completed in the archives room this past week and final inspection is set for this week Thursday. A special display case for archives was installed in the hallway (out of an old doorway!) a few weeks ago and the lights added this past week (*see photo above).
- Be sure to visit the new PRC seminary website! Visit the site and check out the various pages, including the new blog - and sign up to receive seminary news by email!
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. Stewart led the services today.
- The CPRC Reformation Day Lecture was held Friday, 25 October at 7:30 PM. Rev. Stewart spoke on “William Tyndale: English Bible Translator.”
- Covenant PRC's latest newsletter was received and posted (August 2019).
- A new issue of the "Covenant Reformed News" is out! Read the October 2019 issue 2019 issue here.
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. denHartog and his wife are once again serving the CERC while she is vacant.
- Re the recent call of Grandville PRC: "This week we received news from GrandVille PRC that Rev Mahtani has written to them to request for a week’s extension on his call to serve as MOL to Singapore. He will now answer the call on 3 November 2019. Let us continue to pray that the Lord will make His will clear to Rev Mahtani if he should come over to serve in CERC."
- And about her annual Reformation celebration we find this: "This year Reformation Day Conference will be held on 9 Nov 2019 from 9.30am to 3.30pm. Rev den Hartog will be speaking on the Theme “Personal, Practical, Profitable: The other work of the Synod of Dort”. We encourage you to invite your friends and families to come and hear the great reformation of the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ."
- Her latest newsletter (August 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC: Rev. V. Ibe is leading the worship services today. Rev. Ibe is also scheduled to preach at Kerusso Community church in Tondo at 3P.M. and ‘will lead them in their study of the C.O. Arts. 17-19, the Lord willing.
- Maranatha PRC: Rev. R. Smit will lead the services today and teach the Belgic Confession.
- Provident CC: Rev. Kleyn will preach for us today. Rev. Holstege will teach and preach for the Bearers of Light Community Church in Guiguinto. Next week, Lord willing, Rev. Holstege will preach both times for Provident.
- Denominational News:
The PRCP Classis will have their regular meeting on October 31, 2019 at 9:00 in the morning at Provident CC, D.V.
A new mission newsletter was published and distributed this month. You may find that October 2019 update here.
And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions.
- The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
Looking for a study Bible or Bible study resources this Fall? Visit the Reformed Book Outlet in downtown Hudsonville!
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer. If you missed the speech at the annual RFPA meeting this past week, visit this link to watch Rev. J. Smidstra's fine talk on "Training Our Children in the Discipline of Reading."
- Did you know you can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio? Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- For October to January (2020) the RWH welcomes Rev. W. Bruinsma of our Pittsburgh PRC to the microphone. He is doing a series on women in the Bible. Today he delivers the message "Shiphrah and Puah Fear God" based on Exodus 1:14-21 (or visit the RWH website linked here to listen anytime).
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee:
Did you read our latest newsletters - October 2019? Have you signed up yet to receive the emailed Reformed Witness Hour (RWH) newsletter? Six times per year, we update you on news about our speakers, program, and online reach, and we share stories from listeners and readers who have been blessed by the RWH, a ministry of the PRC. Please visit http://eepurl.com/gikNsL to sign up for the newsletter.
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
Want to know how to date with a view to marriage God's way and not the culture's? Read this new title from the RFPA and Rev. J. Engelsma!
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The 2019 PRYP's Convention is now history (held Aug.12-16 at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI). Southwest and Providence PRCs hosted this year's event. For pictures and more visit this YouTube channel or the Facebook page. The 2020 PRYP's Convention will be hosted by Georgetown PRC and held at Lake Williamson Christian Center (St. Louis, MO).
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (August 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church. In that connection, BC-PRC's bulletin today had this note: "Today Pastor Spriensma is preaching both services at Loveland PRC, meeting with their evangelism committee, and giving a mission presentation after the evening service."
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown is preaching today and will lead the Bible study Tuesday 8 PM in Corbally.
- A fresh mission newsletter from the Limerick Reformed Fellowship is now available! The September 2019 edition may be found here.
- From today's Berean PRC bulletin: "Our brothers and sisters in Gabaldon, Nueva Ecija will join us in our worship services via phone patch. We pray for God’s continued blessings as they hear and receive the proclamation of His Word!"
- There is a brand new Philippines mission newsletter to read! The October 2019 issue is now available.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh.
- Jonathan Mahtani
- Richard Smit
- Daniel Holstege
- Immanuel PRC
- Reformed literature
- young people activities
- Martyn McGeown
- Audred Spriensma
- missions and evangelism
- PRC Seminary
- sister church relations
- ministerial calls
- Reformed Book Outlet
- Myanmar missions
- PRC young adult retreats
- India mission work
- Emmanuel Singh
- Angus Stewart
- Daniel Kleyn
- Reformation of the 16th century