The following are special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this Sunday, June 20, the twenty-fifth Lord's Day of this year 2021.
Today as we gather for worship, we bring our praise and thanks to our triune God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for all His gifts, especially the gift of salvation full and free through His Son. Through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit may we give our glorious God the honor due His name. May these words of the psalmist be ours:
The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land. LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear: To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress. ~ Psalm 10:16-18
- If you are new to this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Last Sunday Rev. W. Bruinsma (Pittsburgh PRC) declined the call to Hudsonville PRC.
- Last Sunday Rev. J. Engelsma (Doon PRC, IA) received the call from Crete PRC (IL).
- Rev. R. Barnhill (Peace PRC) continues to consider the call to Kalamazoo PRC (received May 30). He plans to answer June 27.
- Next Sunday (June 27) Prof. Russell Dykstra will be installed as Byron Center PRC's new pastor. Prof. B. Gritters will lead the morning worship service and Prof. Dykstra will preach his inaugural sermon that evening.
- Glorifying God in Our Unity! Join Southwest and Byron Center PRCs this week Thursday, 7:30 p.m. at Southwest PRC for an evening of praise, thanksgiving, and encouragement in our confession of an holy catholic church. Come ready to sing, and to be encouraged by brief mediations on this truth given by Rev. William Langerak and Rev. David Noorman. Fellowship and refreshments will follow. Links to the live-stream can be found at southwestprc.org.
- The final worship services of Bethel PRC (Roselle, IL) will be held next Sunday, June 27, D.V. May the Lord continue to be with the congregation and her pastor, Rev. Lee, as they prepare for the disbanding of this dear congregation.
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Prof. D.Kuiper and Rev. G.Eriks in Byron Center PRC; Rev. J.Engelsma in Crete PRC (IL); Prof. R.Dykstra and Prof. D.Kuiper in First PRC-Holland; Prof. R.Cammenga and Rev. J.Mahtani in Hudsonville PRC; Prof. B.Huizinga and Sem. M.Wee in Kalamazoo PRC; Prof. B.Gritters and Rev. J.Holstege in Providence PRC. What a privilege and blessing of our church federation it is to be able to help one another in this need!
May we also remember to pray for all the needs of these vacant congregations, including Wingham PRC, which cannot receive pulpit supply from the U.S. at this time (pandemic travel restrictions) and which is also under new lockdown orders. May the Lord encourage their hearts during these difficult times.
- For those who may still be limited to house worship, whether completely or partially, we invite you to visit the PR churches page and follow the links to the websites where the churches' livestream may be found. Or you may visit the selected audio sermon page and listen to one of your choice there.
- Did you know that...
- Lynden PRC is starting a church library to encourage reading and study? Here's the note in her bulletin today: The Evangelism committee is in the process of setting up a church library in the basement.The goal is to promote the reading of good Christian literature.If anyone in the congregation has books that they would like to donate to the library, please talk to an evangelism committee member!
The Reformed Book Outlet is having a summer reading challenge - for both children and adults? Here's the announcement just out: The Reformed Book Outlet is running their annual Summer Reading Challenge for both kids and adults, from June 22-August 21. Stop by the store to pick up a sheet to fill out and return for a prize! Just a reminder that our hours are now Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 10-5 and Saturday 10-1.
Georgetown PRC, Hudsonville MI, host of this year's PRC Synod
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS:
- PRC Synod 2021: The delegates met in daily sessions from Tuesday to Thursday last week (June 15-17), finishing their work around 4 p.m. Thursday. For the daily reports on synod's work and decisions, visit this page.
- As the time of his furlough draws to an end, it is still uncertain if Rev. D.Holstege and his family will be able to return to the Philippines. Today he is in Randolph, WI to preach.
- Revs. D. Lee and J. Marcus are eligible for calls in the PRC and her sister churches. Let us remember them in prayer as they await new charges.
PRC Seminary Notices:
- The seminary is now in her spring/summer break. Continue to pray for the seminary in all her needs. The faculty keeps busy with preparation for the next term as well as with other activities, and many of the students return to their summer jobs. The staff is present to assist with any needs you may have. The seminary, including the library and bookstore, will be open daily during the spring and summer, except for holidays (M-F, 8-5).
- The professors served as committee advisors at the PRC Synod this month (June 8-17) at Georgetown PRC. This news concerning part of the synod's seminary business may also be reported here: Synod extended a call to Rev. C.Griess (pastor of First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI) to serve as professor in the PRC Seminary, replacing Prof. B. Gritters in the area of Practical Theology and NT Studies. He plans to answer by July 4.
- Prof. R. Dykstra has accepted the call to Byron Center (MI) PRC. He plans to be installed on June 27 by Prof. B. Gritters. We pray for Prof. Dykstra and his wife Carol as they prepare to transition to the pastoral ministry once again. In the Fall Prof. Dykstra will also be finishing his final year of teaching at the PRC Seminary (2 classes) as Prof. Kuiper prepares his final courses to replace him.
- Senior student Josiah Tan (Covenant ERC, Singapore) was examined at the PRC Synod (June 8-10) and was approved as a candidate for the ministry in his home church, Covenant ERC in Singapore as well as in the PRC. His graduation ceremony was held on June 10 in Georgetown PRC. For more on this event, visit this link. We rejoice with the brother and his wife in God's goodness and pray that he will soon find a place to serve in Christ's church.
- The internship of Seminarian Marcus Wee (Covenant ERC, Singapore) will take place this summer and fall (July - December) at Faith PRC (Jenison, MI) under Rev. C. Spronk.
- Sem. Matthew Koerner (entering his junior year) has been licensed to speak a word of edification in the churches. We are grateful for the brother’s progress to this point in his ministerial training. As of May 30 he has begun preaching in various PRCs, including out west this summer.
- Work continues on the Spring 2021 issue of the PRTS Journal. If you wish to be added to our mailing list, please call or email the seminary.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
The meeting place of Berean PRC, Manila, the Philippines
- Covenant ERC, Singapore and her Kolkata, India mission work:
- From the "Pastoral Voice" in her bulletin today: Despite the loosening of some restrictions due to the pandemic, please note that the congregational singing is still not allowed during the worship service. However, we can still ‘sing’ joyfully, meaningfully and reverentially in our hearts when we worship in church. ...Last week, CK/CKS had their annual retreat from 17 to 19 June. It was done online. Rev Smidstra spoke on the theme: Faith in Times of Doubt. The theme was taken from James 1: 2 to 4.
- Re the Kolkata, India mission work: Session met with Rev Emmanuel Singh online... two weeks ago. We are glad to bring the report to our congregation that our brethren in Kolkata are coping well in the midst of the pandemic and after the super Cyclone Yaash had caused substantial damages to the coastal areas. Do continue to uphold our brethren as they braced themselves for another cyclone, named Gulab which is expected to make landfall in Bengal on 26th June.
- The April 2021 issue of Salt Shakers is now available! Visit the link to read the edifying articles. Especially are young people are encouraged to do so!
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland and her Limerick, Ireland mission:
- Rev. A. Stewart continues to minister the Word in person to the saints in Ballymena.
- This past week the May and June 2021 issues of the "Covenant Reformed News" were published. Follow the link to read the latest profitable articles.
- Rev. M.McGeown continues to minister the Word in Limerick (now in person again!) until he is able to come to the U.S. to serve Providence PRC. To read his last update (newletter), visit this page. *Important update (from June 13 bulletin):
Rev McGeown’s last Sunday preaching for the Limerick Reformed Fellowship will be 27 June, while Rev Stewart will preach one more time for us on 4 July. After 4 July the Limerick Reformed Fellowship will officially cease meeting. This will give Rev McGeown time to visit friends and family in Northern Ireland, attend a medical examination on 13 July, and arrange an international move, before travelling to the USA in August. This assumes that the immigration interview (24 June) and the medical examination (July 13) go well and that the visa is issued in late July/early August. “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven” (Eccl. 3:1).
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- The latest Philippines' Newsletter may be found here.
- Berean PRC bulletin: Rev. V.Ibe led the services today. ...live streaming of our worship services will be available on Berean PRC Facebook page. The saints in All of Grace Protestant Reformed Fellowship (AGPRF), Gabaldon, Nueva Ecijawill join us in our worship services today via live streaming at face book live, the Lord willing. ...Our online study for Belgic Confession of Faith and the Church Order of Dort and Canons of Dordt is scheduled every Sunday at 7PM viazoom video call, D.V.
- Provident PRC bulletin: Rev. R.Smit led the services today. The live-streaming of our services will be available on the “PPRC and Friends” Facebook page. ...Today Rev. Kleyn is preaching and teaching in the Bearers of Light Community Church in Guiguinto, where Pastor Ronil Domingo is the pastor, and which is a church extension work of our congregation.
- The latest Philippines' Newsletter may be found here.
- Rev. R.Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC in Spokane, WA) is currently doing a series on the Gospel according to Mark. Today's message, however, is a special Father's Day one titled "Nurturing Fathers," based on Eph.6:4.
- Listen to the broadcast on the station near you, on your favorite podcast (Google Music, Spotify, and iTunes), or visit the links provided here to listen to this program. Are you are regular listener?
REFORMED RESOURCES FOR EDIFICATION, EDUCATION, and EVANGELISM
Looking for reading ideas for the summer? How about graduation or wedding gifts? Consider the Reformed Book Outlet in Hudsonville, MI! And see note below about her summer reading challenge!
- Want to learn more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
- The Reformed Book Outlet is open and you are welcome to shop the store in downtown Hudsonville (MI). The RBO is running their annual Summer Reading Challenge for both kids and adults, from June 22-August 21. Stop by the store to pick up a sheet to fill out and return for a prize! Just a reminder that our hours are now Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 10-5 and Saturday 10-1.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation
Rev. R. Hanko in the May 2021 issue of "Covenant Reformed News" answering a question about polygamy (also attached to this news page in pdf form)