The following are special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this Sunday, December 5, the forty-ninth Lord's Day of this year 2021.
This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it (Ps.118:24). On this new Lord's Day we bring our sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving unto our sovereign Creator and Redeemer, who is worthy of all honor and glory.
Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise. For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth. ~ Psalm 33:1-4
If you are new to this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Last Sunday Covenant of Grace PRC (Spokane, WA) voted to call Rev. J. Langerak (Heritage PRC).
- This past Monday Doon PRC extended a call to Rev. C. Spronk (Faith PRC).
- Rev. C. Spronk is considering the call to Hudsonville PRC. He plans to answer by Dec.19.
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Rev. J. Engelsma (2nd week) in Covenant of Grace PRC (Spokane, WA); Rev. R. Barnhill (1st week) in Doon (IA) PRC; Rev. T.Miersma in First PRC, Edmonton; Prof. B.Gritters and Rev. K.Koole in Grace PRC; Prof. R.Cammenga and Rev. W.Langerak in Hudsonville PRC; Rev. N.Decker in Wingham PRC. We thank the Lord for this blessing of our church federation and the privilege to be able to help one another in this need.
- For those who may still be limited to house worship, whether completely or partially, we invite you to visit the PR churches page and follow the links to the websites where the churches' livestream may be found. Or you may visit the selected audio sermon page and listen to one of your choice there.
- Watch for these upcoming Christmas programs/singspiration in the PRC congregations:
Tonight Young Calvinists will be hosting a singspiration for all young people and young adults tonight! It will be hosted at Hope PRC (Walker, MI) at 8 PM. Come enjoy a night of singing as we celebrate the holiday season!
- On December 12 at 6:45 after the evening service, the Georgetown PRC Choir (Hudsonville, MI) will be leading the audience in an evening of Christmas praise. Special numbers will include audience singing, a piano solo, and several selections by the Voices of Victory. Come share the joy with us!
- The Crete YPS (IL) will host a singspiration Sunday evening December 12.
- The Edgerton PRC Young People will host their annual Christmas Singspiration on Sunday December 19 at First Reformed Church in Edgerton (Minnesota). A collection will be received to offset the cost of attending the Young People's Convention.
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS:
The view this past Monday morning, Nov.29, after the second measurable snow in West Michigan
PRC Seminary Notices:
- This past week the seminary completed its fourteenth week of the first semester, with one week left before exams. Remember to pray for faculty, students, and staff as they move toward the end of the semester. You will find the semester schedule and calendar posted on the seminary's website.
- The seminary's special conference on preaching was held on Oct.28-29 at Trinity PRC. If you were unable to attend and would like to listen to the speeches, they are available here and here. The videos have also now been posted to the seminary YouTube channel.
- The Fall 2021 issue of the PRT Journal is being put together. If you missed the Spring issue, it is currently available in its digital forms on the seminary's website as well as in print. If you wish to pick up a copy, stop in at the seminary. If you want to be added to our mailing list, contact Sharon, the seminary secretary.
- The seminary library and bookstore are open daily (M-F, 8-5) for any of your book and Bible needs. The bookstore is a good place to find gifts for the Christmas season! The staff is available to assist with any other needs you may have as well. Feel free to call in advance for help with any questions.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
- India missions update from Georgetown PRC (in her bulletin today): The Tamil translations of Heidelberg Catechism and Church Order have been finalized and approved by Pas. Paulraj. While the Church Order is ready-to-print, some page-layout needs yet to be done. Proof reading and editing of the Tamil translation of Canons of Dordt is under way. A harmonizing of the 3 Forms of Unity is also being done so that the whole 3FU will have the same flow of language and terminology. The translation into Tamil of the 2nd chapter of Rev, Bruinsma’s studies in Doctrine is underway. Pray for this work of translation. Pray for our beloved brothers and sisters in India in the PRCV and English church.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore and her Kolkata, India mission work:
- From Today's bulletin: A Blessed Lord’s Day to you. As you step out from a weary weak past in to the rest of this first day of the week, may you find the peace that our Lord Jesus Christ promises to give us. We come out of the week past spiritually drained, spent, worn out. The spiritual battle against sin is intense. But now is time to rest. Now God calls us to rest our weary heads in the bosom of our Lord Jesus Christ. Come hear the comforting words from the Chief Prophet in the preaching. Come hear what our only high priest has done and is doing for us. He redeemed us completely from sin and death and now ever intercedes for us. May all your fears melt away as you stand before the regal splendor of our King. Of the one who has gathered us, new visitors, regular worshippers and members today. Who defends and preserves us every second of our lives. John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
- A new issue of Salt Shakers magazine is out! The October issue (#66) is available online. Our young people and young adults are especially encouraged to read it.
- The last issue of "Reformed News Asia" is October 2021 - #64. Be sure to check it out for the latest news from our sister!
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland:
- Rev. A.Stewart continues to minister the Word faithfully to the saints in Ballymena.
- There's a new CPRC newsletter available this month! Visit this page to view it and read it (*cf. the newsletter column on the right side of the webpage).
- Be sure to check out the new edition of "Covenant Reformed News" - November 2021 - just out this past week! Follow the link to read the latest profitable articles.
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- Berean PRC bulletin: Rev. R. Smit led the services today. Rev. Ibe and elder Alann Penaverde are scheduled to visits the saints in Gabaldon today. Rev. Ibe will lead them in their worship service, D.V.
- Provident PRC bulletin: Rev. D. Kleyn led her services today. The Kleyns plan to leave for the USA this week, D.V, especially to spend time with family. They will also go to Iowa since Rev. Kleyn is scheduled to preach in Doon PRC on Dec. 31, Jan. 1, and Jan. 2. They plan to return to the Philippines on Jan. 4, Lord willing.
- PRCP Seminary: Final exams in the Seminary are scheduled this week.
- Currently, Rev. W.Bruinsma (Pittsburgh PRC, Pennsylvania) is the featured speaker, with focus on a series on Hebrews 11. Today's message is based on Heb.11:17-19 and titled "Abraham Offers Up Isaac."
- "The REFORMED WITNESS HOUR (RWH) COMMITTEE thanks you, PRC members, friends, and donors, for your prayers and financial support during 2021. As you plan for your year-end giving, we ask that you prayerfully consider helping with one of these current RWH costs: continued broadcasts on WYLL in the Chicago area and extended Internet outreach through our website (reformedwitnesshour.org), social media, and SermonAudio. Thank you for your continued support of this important PRC ministry."
- Did you read the November RWH newsletter? Visit the link to do so today and keep up with what is happening on the program and website!
REFORMED RESOURCES FOR EDIFICATION, EDUCATION, and EVANGELISM
Would you like to read the RWH messages as well as listen to them? Check out the November 2021 messages in this booklet. They are published monthly and may be sent to your address if you desire. Just contact the RWH at reformedwitnesshour.org. The pdf of this booklet is attached to this news report for your convenience.
- Are you interested in learning more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
- The Reformed Book Outlet is running their 25% off sale for the month of December again this year. This sale includes 25% off most books, Bibles, and Bible covers. Come visit us Tuesday - Friday from 10am-5pm, or Saturday from 10am - 1pm!
This Week's Thought for Contemplation
Christmas in His Fear
When we celebrate Christmas In His Fear then we go to Him and praise Him for the gift of all gifts that He has given us. We go to Him in prayer. We go to Him in His house of worship. We acknowledge this great and glorious gift and do not hide it from ourselves and from our children by a host of worldly, material gifts that we give and receive from men. When we celebrate Christmas In His Fear, Christ and the loves of God in sending Him to be our Savior occupies the central part of our celebration; and the greater part of our activity on that day revolves about Him. When we celebrate Christmas in His fear we gather in all humility and joy before His feet to be taught by Him anew and more richly the glorious truths of the birth of His Son.
And he who truly celebrates Christmas in His fear will not be able to hold back his songs of praise to God. With the holy angels he shall sing: Glory to God in the highest. He will sing of the true peace that God has wrought in this Son for those who are the men of His good pleasure and will glorify Him for it. And as the shepherds returned glorifying and praising God and telling all whom they met what they had seen and heard, the covenant parent will also want to have the day filled with such praise and glory to God by his children and will take them along to God's house of worship that they too may hear of all this wonder of God's grace.
Christmas celebration In His Fear is celebration before His face. It is celebration in the consciousness that He accomplished all these things that the Church of Christ might live before His face in everlasting glory. And it is celebration that responds to that glorious truth.
From an article written in the Dec.15, 1955 issue of the Standard Bearer by Rev. J. Heys.