Below you will find special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this thirty-second Sunday of our Lord's year 2022, August 14.
Because our Lord Jesus Christ is risen from the dead on the third day - as He promised - and because He is returning in glory for our everlasting worship - as He has also promised - today, on this first day of the week, we gather in worship as members of our living Savior's church. With gratitude and gladness we bring our praise to our triune God for fully accomplishing our salvation in His Son and by His Spirit. We cordially invite you to join us in worship on this day and on any Sunday.
Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Sion: and unto thee shall the vow be performed. O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come. Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away. Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple. ~ Psalm 65:1-4
If you are new to this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Last Sunday, Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC) received the call from Zion PRC to serve as domestic missionary. He plans to answer by August 28. May the Lord give him wisdom to discern His will with regard to this special call.
- Today Rev. R. Smit (missionary to the Philippines) declined the call from Hosanna PRC (Edmonton).
- Rev. C. Spronk (Faith PRC-Jenison) is considering the call to Randolph (WI) PRC (received July 24). He plans to answer by August 21.
- The Council of Doon (IA) PRC has formed a new trio: Rev. M. DeBoer (Edgerton MN PRC), Rev. J. Mahtani (Hope PRC-Walker, MI), and Rev. W. Langerak (Trinity PRC-Hudsonville, MI). The congregation will call this evening.
- Hudsonville PRC’s Council has formed a new trio from which to call a pastor: Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC-Hull, IA), Rev. M. Kortus (Hope PRC-Redlands, CA), Rev. D. Noorman (SW PRC-Wyoming, MI). The congregation will call on Monday, August 22.
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Rev. M. Kortus (2nd week) in Doon (IA) PRC; Rev. R. Barnhill (1st week) in Hosanna PRC, Edmonton, AB; Prof. R. Cammenga and Rev. R. Kleyn in Hudsonville PRC; Rev. J. Laning (1st week) in Randolph PRC. May we count it a blessing of our church federation that we can help one another in these needs. Let us remember to pray for the men who supply these pulpits and for the vacant congregations.
- Special Evangelism/mission notices:
- First PRC-Grand Rapids: "This week Friday pastor Kleyn will be leaving with the second Summer delegation to Mexico. He, Prof. Cammenga, Rev. Marcus and Sem. Arend Haveman will be speaking and preaching at Juan Calvino Seminary and several IPC congregations in the Mexico City area. They plan to return on August 26.s
- Georgetown PRC re work in Vellore, India: "Ten young people have graduated for the GHF and have found jobs in the area, or are continuing their education and attending the Tamil church. Construction on the new church building has resumed with a number of former GFH young men joining the construction team. The Sola Gratia Classes (Training area pastors in the Reformed Faith) continues weekly. The English Church continues to meet on the Eden Campus for their weekly Bible Study. The sacrament of infant baptism with its comfort and hope was recently observed in the English Church." (update in today's bulletin)
- Lynden (WA) PRC: "Mark your calendars! The evangelism committee is excited to announce that they are planning a two-day conference for Friday night and Saturday morning, Sept. 2 and 3. Prof. Cory Griess and Rev. Ron Hanko have agreed to speak on the theme: "What Am I without My Body? The Blessedness of Membership in the Body of Christ." Make plans to attend and please spread the word!"
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS
Seminary History Class: Prof. D. Kuiper’s PRCA history class will meet this week Wednesday, August 17, 7:30 p.m. at SW PRC (Wyoming, MI). The topic will be the PRCA in the war years (1940s). The class will meet for the final time this summer on the Wednesday, August 24 (7:30 p.m.), at Southwest PRC. Recordings of past classes are available on the seminary’s YouTube channel. A pdf of handouts is available from Prof. Kuiper by request.
- Home missions: This past Sunday Zion PRC (Jenison, MI) extended a call to Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC) to serve as home missionary. He plans to answer by the end of this month.
- Philippines mission:
- Rev. D. Kleyn and Sharon are currently in the U.S. for a six-week furlough. They plan to return on August 22, the Lord willing. May the Lord bless their furlough and grant them rest and refreshment as well.
- And this one in the Grand Rapids, MI area: "Rev. Daniel Kleyn will be giving a presentation on the work being done in the Philippines. This presentation will be at Trinity PRC on Sunday August 21 at 7:30 PM. It will be streamed on Trinity’s sermon audio page as well for those interested, but unable to attend in person."
PRC Seminary Notices:
- The seminary is in the final weeks of its summer break. Continue to pray for the faculty, students, and staff as they stay busy with other labors and activities while also preparing for the new school season. The first semester of the 2022-23 school year will begin, D.V. on Tuesday, August 30.
- This month Prof. R. Cammenga and Junior Arend Havemen will be part of a team sponsored by First PRC-Grand Rapids, MI going to Mexico City for a conference (August 19-26). Pray for safe travels and profitable meetings for all involved. And look for further reports on this trip next month.
- Prof. D. Kuiper is currently teaching a class on the history of the PRCA from 1924-1949. The class will meet this week Wednesday, August 17 at SW PRC (Wyoming, MI) at 7:30 p.m. The topic of the week is the PRCA in the war years (1940s). It plans to meet for the final time this summer on Wednesdays August 24. Recordings of past classes are available on the seminary’s YouTube channel. A pdf of handouts is available from Prof. Kuiper by request.
- Last month Sem. M. Koerner began his internship in Hope PRC-Grand Rapids under Rev. J. Mahtani. Sem. A. Haveman has plenty of preaching assignments this summer (after being licensed at the semester), in addition to another mission trip, this time to Mexico (August 19-26).
- The seminary is open daily from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., including the library and bookstore. PRC members and friends are welcome to visit and make use of these resources.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore and her Kolkata, India mission work:
- Pastor J. Tan is faithfully serving the CERC each week as her pastor. In her bulletin today was this significant note: "For quite some time now session has been studying, deliberating, and praying over the matter of having a second minster in CERC. That study was concluded in the last Session meeting, when the Session voted to adopt a proposal to call Candidate Marcus Wee as the second resident minister of CERC. The Session would like to present the proposal to the entire congregation on 21 August 2022. Following which, we will call an extra congregational meeting on 18 September 2022, the Lord willing, to vote on the proposal."
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland:
- Rev. A. Stewart continues to minister the Word faithfully to the saints in Ballymena.
- S. Wales Lecture: Rev. Stewart plans to give a lecture at the Margam Community Centre in Port Talbot, S. Wales on Thursday, 25 August at 7:15 PM.
- For recordings of the recent British Reformed Conference held last month, visit this BRF webpage.
- The June 2022 issue of "Covenant Reformed News" has been released. Follow the link to read the latest profitable articles by Revs. A. Stewart and R. Hanko.
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- Rev. D. Kleyn and his wife are currently taking their six-week furlough in the U.S. They plan to return on August 22, the Lord willing.
- Berean PRC bulletin: Rev. V.Ibe led her services today. "The saints in All of Grace Protestant Reformed Fellowship (AGPRF) will join us in our worship services this morning through live stream via Facebook live, God willing."
- Provident PRC bulletin: (no bulletin received as of yet)
- This month Rev. C. Haak (Georgetown PRC - Hudsonville, MI) is once again speaking for the RWH. He will complete the series on the book of Nehemiah and then give some messages from Romans 8. Today's message is based on Romans 8:28 and titled "The Secret Providence of God."
Are you able to defend biblical Calvinism against Arminian errors? This is a great resource to help you discern.
Are you interested in learning more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
- The Reformed Book Outlet (downtown Hudsonville, MI) has now opened their new store in downtown Hudsonville! The new location is at 3472 Harvey St. in Hudsonville. The website has also been redone to make it easier for customers, especially those who aren’t local, to browse our inventory, see descriptions of most of the items, and choose between shipping or local pickup at our store during business hours. Be sure to check it out!
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- The PR Sunday School Association also publishes complete OT and NT Bible Story Lessons for young children and older children. Visit this page to learn more.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation
"CALVINISM has for its first principle, "In the beginning God!" He is the center of the universe. "For of Him, and through Him, and to Him are all things: to whom be glory for ever! Amen" (Rom. 11:36).
In the realm of creation, nature, and providence, absolutely nothing occurs without God's appointment; but He works all things according to the counsel of His own will (Eph. 1:11). Nothing happens by chance, but by the direction and ordination of our gracious heavenly Father. "My counsel shall stand and I will do all My pleasure:...yea, I have spoken, and I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed, I will also do it" (Is. 46:10-11). Also God does more than merely to permit evil: He gives the power to perpetrate it: "Thou couldest have no power against Me, except it were given thee from above" (Jn. 19:11), for "power belongeth unto God" (Ps. 62:11). Further, He sovereignly determines beforehand that the evil shall be done according to His eternal counsel: "for of a truth against Thy holy child Jesus, whom Thou hast anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together for to do whatsoever Thy hand and Thy counsel determined before ('foreordained,' ASV) to be done" (Acts 4:27ff). Though Joseph's brethren did wickedly sell him into Egypt, it is nevertheless true that it was not they but God Who sent him there; for it was God Who ordered their evil act (Gen. 45:8). The principle of Scripture is that evil rulers and their wicked actions come to pass by His ordination. "The Most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever He will, and setteth up over it the basest of men" (Dan. 4:17). "The powers that be," though the most degraded, "are ordained of God" (Rom. 13:1). The evil of war also is God's work: "for it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that He might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favor, but that He might destroy them" (Josh. 11:20). In fact, man acts only when activated by God. "In Him we love and are moved" (Gr., passive), so that we cannot turn to what is right unless God turns us. "Turn Thou us unto Thee, O Lord, and we shall be turned" (Lam. 5:21). A man's heart indeed does devise his way, but never independently of God's control. For his very thoughts and words come by the sovereign operation of God upon his heart. "The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue are from the Lord" (Prov. 16:1). "Man's goings are of the Lord, how can a man then understand his own way?" (Prov. 20:24), i.e., by his own would-be autonomous way? God's will alone is absolutely free; and man's will is always subject to His. "And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and He doeth according to His will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and who can stay His hand, or say unto Him, What doest Thou?" (Dan. 4:35).
God is equally as sovereign in the field of grace. Here His mercy is free, never suspended upon conditions required beforehand, as for example, that man should repent, or use the light of nature aright. No unregenerate man can or does live up to the light of nature (Rom. 1:20ff; 8:8); and repentance is a gift of free grace (II Tim. 2:25; Acts 11:18). Finally, the saving death of Christ was designed chiefly for the praise and glory of God, not merely as a means to rescue souls from hell. "To the praise of the glory of His grace," "that we should be to the praise of His glory," and, the whole of "redemption (is) unto the praise of His glory" (Eph. 1:6, 12, 14). "Unto you (God's elect people only) ...a Savior... (Why? Primarily for man's betterment? No!) Glory to God in the highest!" (Luke 2:11, 14). The highest truth of Scripture is that God in His eternal purpose seeks His own glory. God is God!
~ Robert C. Harback in Calvinism... the Truth (Arminianism... the Lie)