Below you will find special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this thirty-third Sunday of our Lord's year 2022, August 21.
Because our Lord Jesus Christ is risen from the dead on the third day - as He promised - and because He is returning in glory for our everlasting worship - as He has also promised - today, on this first day of the week, we gather in worship as members of our living Savior's church. With gratitude and gladness we bring our praise to our triune God for fully accomplishing our salvation in His Son and by His Spirit. We cordially invite you to join us in worship on this day and on any Sunday.
Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious. Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee. All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah. ~ Psalm 66:1-4
If you are new to this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Today Rev. C. Spronk (Faith PRC-Jenison, MI) declined the call from Randolph (WI) PRC.
- Last Sunday Rev. R. Smit (missionary to the Philippines) declined the call from Hosanna PRC (Edmonton, AB). The Consistory has formed a new trio of Revs. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC), C. Spronk (Faith PRC), and A. Stewart (Covenant PRC – Northern Ireland). The congregational meeting is scheduled for next Sunday, August 28, after the PM service.
- Last Sunday Doon (IA) PRC voted to extend a call to Rev. W. Langerak (Trinity PRC, Hudsonville, MI).
- Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC - Hull, IA) is considering the call from Zion PRC to serve as domestic missionary (received Aug.7). He plans to answer by August 28. May the Lord give him wisdom to discern His will with regard to this special call.
- Hudsonville PRC’s Council has formed a new trio from which to call a pastor: Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC-Hull, IA), Rev. M. Kortus (Hope PRC-Redlands, CA), Rev. D. Noorman (SW PRC-Wyoming, MI). The congregation will call on Monday, August 22. *UPDATE: Rev. D. Noorman has received this call.
- The Council of Georgetown PRC has formed its first trio of ministers for calling her next pastor (with Rev. C. Haak becoming emeritus Sept.1.): Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC-Hull, IA), Rev. M. Kortus (Hope PRC-Redlands, CA), Rev. D. Noorman (SW PRC-Wyoming, MI). The congregational meeting is planned for Sunday evening, Sept. 11, after the evening service.
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Elders lead with video sermons in Doon (IA) PRC; Rev. R. Barnhill (2nd week) in Hosanna PRC, Edmonton, AB; Prof. C. Griess and Rev. W. Langerak in Hudsonville PRC; Rev. J. Laning (2nd week) in Randolph PRC. May we count it a blessing of our church federation that we can help one another in these needs. Let us remember to pray for the men who supply these pulpits and for the vacant congregations.
- Special Evangelism/mission notices:
- TONIGHT! 7:30 PM - Trinity PRC! - Rev. Daniel Kleyn will be giving a presentation on the work being done in the Philippines. This presentation will be at Trinity PRC TONIGHT - Sunday, August 21, at 7:30 PM. It will be streamed on Trinity’s Sermonaudio page as well for those interested, but unable to attend in person.
- First PRC-Holland, MI: "The next meeting of the outreach Bible Study will be this coming Wednesday, August 24, at 7 p.m. at the Howard Miller public library, in the west meeting room on the lower floor. Rev. Smidstra will be leading this meeting, continuing on the subject "Who Is Jesus?" Come out join us!"
- First PRC-Grand Rapids: “This past Friday a delegation of Rev. John and Amy Marcus, Prof. Ron and Rhonda Cammenga, Rev. Rodney Kleyn, and seminarian Arend Haveman traveled to Mexico City. They will spend eight days preaching, participating in a three-day conference, and following up with contacts that we have in the area. Remember them in your prayers and pray that God will use the visit for the encouragement of our contacts and the strengthening of our ties to Reformed believers and churches in this part of the world.”
- Georgetown PRC re work in Vellore, India: "The English Church’s regular week Bible study is going on very well and is a great blessing. PRCV holds cottage prayer every Tuesdays in church member’s house. Mid-week personal gathering gives a real time of joy fellowshipping with each other. There were two government inspections at GFH this past two weeks. ...The children of the GFH are doing well and send their special love to you. Pastor and Kasthuri Raj thank everyone for extending your love and hospitality and support to their son Jason." (update in today's bulletin)
- Lynden (WA) PRC: "Mark your calendars! The evangelism committee is excited to announce that they are planning a two-day conference for Friday night and Saturday morning, Sept. 2 and 3. Prof. Cory Griess and Rev. Ron Hanko have agreed to speak on the theme: "What Am I without My Body? The Blessedness of Membership in the Body of Christ." Make plans to attend and please spread the word!"
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS
- Seminary PRC History Class: Prof. D. Kuiper’s final summer PRCA history class will meet this week Wednesday, August 24, 7:30 p.m. at SW PRC (Wyoming, MI). The topic will be Classis East and Classis West. Recordings of past classes are available on the seminary’s YouTube channel. A pdf of handouts is available from Prof. Kuiper by request.
- Home missions: On August 7 Zion PRC (Jenison, MI) extended a call to Rev. A. Brummel (Calvary PRC) to serve as home missionary. He plans to answer by the end of this month.
- Philippines mission:
- Rev. D. Kleyn and Sharon are currently in the U.S. for a six-week furlough. They plan to return tomorrow, August 22, the Lord willing. May the Lord bless their furlough and grant them rest and refreshment as well.
- "Rev. Daniel Kleyn will be giving a presentation on the work being done in the Philippines. This presentation will be at Trinity PRC TONIGHT - Sunday, August 21, at 7:30 PM. It will be streamed on Trinity’s sermon audio page as well for those interested, but unable to attend in person."
Prof. D. Kuiper's PRC History class met this past week at SW PRC in Wyoming, MI. The final class will meet this Wednesday, August 24 (see note below)
PRC Seminary Notices:
- The seminary is in the final weeks of its summer break. Continue to pray for the faculty, students, and staff as they stay busy with other labors and activities while also preparing for the new school season. The first semester of the 2022-23 school year will begin, D.V. on Tuesday, August 30.
- Prof. D. Kuiper is currently teaching a class on the history of the PRCA from 1924-1949. The final class will meet this week Wednesday, August 24 at SW PRC (Wyoming, MI) at 7:30 p.m. The topic will be Classis East and Classis West (and the harbingers of the schism of 1953). Recordings of past classes are available on the seminary’s YouTube channel. A pdf of handouts is available from Prof. Kuiper by request.
- Seminary Convocation is planned for Wednesday evening, Sept.7, at Trinity PRC (Hudsonville, MI). Prof. D. Kuiper will be speaking. Plan to attend and support the seminary as it begins a new school season.
- This past Friday a delegation of Rev. John and Amy Marcus, Prof. Ron and Rhonda Cammenga, Rev. Rodney Kleyn and seminarian Arend Haveman traveled to Mexico City. They will spend eight days preaching, participating in a three-day conference and following up with contacts that we have in the area. Remember them in your prayers and pray that God will use the visit for the encouragement of our contacts and the strengthening of our ties to Reformed believers and churches in this part of the world.
- Last month Sem. M. Koerner began his internship in Hope PRC-Grand Rapids under Rev. J. Mahtani. Sem. A. Haveman has plenty of preaching assignments this summer (after being licensed at the semester), in addition to another mission trip, this time to Mexico (August 19-26).
- The seminary is open daily from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., including the library and bookstore. PRC members and friends are welcome to visit and make use of these resources.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore and her Kolkata, India mission work:
- Pastor J. Tan is faithfully serving the CERC each week as her pastor. In her bulletin last week was this significant note: "For quite some time now session has been studying, deliberating, and praying over the matter of having a second minster in CERC. That study was concluded in the last Session meeting, when the Session voted to adopt a proposal to call Candidate Marcus Wee as the second resident minister of CERC. The Session would like to present the proposal to the entire congregation on 21 August 2022. Following which, we will call an extra congregational meeting on 18 September 2022, the Lord willing, to vote on the proposal."
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland:
- Rev. A. Stewart continues to minister the Word faithfully to the saints in Ballymena.
- The latest CPRC newsletter has released! The August 2022 issue contains reports on the BRF Conference held in July and much more.
- S. Wales Lecture: Rev. Stewart plans to give a lecture at the Margam Community Centre in Port Talbot, S. Wales on Thursday, 25 August at 7:15 PM.
- For recordings of the recent British Reformed Conference held last month, visit this BRF webpage.
- The July 2022 issue of "Covenant Reformed News" has now been published. Follow the link to read the latest profitable articles by Revs. A. Stewart and R. Hanko.
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- Rev. D. Kleyn and his wife are currently taking their six-week furlough in the U.S. They plan to return tomorrow August 22, the Lord willing.
- Berean PRC bulletin: Rev. V.Ibe led her services today. "The saints in All of Grace Protestant Reformed Fellowship (AGPRF) will join us in our worship services this morning through live stream via Facebook live, God willing."
- Provident PRC bulletin: Rev. R. Smit will lead and preach for us in our worship services today.
- PRCP Seminary: "The classes for 2022-2023 in our Seminary starts on August 30, 2022, D.V. We are grateful to the Lord for His sustaining grace upon the labors of our instructors, [Rev. Smit and Rev. Kleyn] and to Seminarian Ace Flores. We pray that God will bless their faithful labors and that they may be encouraged even more as we look to God for another fruitful year of dedication and devotion to this cause of God’s Kingdom. God be praised!"
- This month Rev. C. Haak (Georgetown PRC - Hudsonville, MI) is once again speaking for the RWH. He will complete the series on the book of Nehemiah and then give some messages from Romans 8. Today's message is based on Romans 8:31-32 and titled "God Did Not Spare His Own Son."
What is the nature of God's kingdom and what is the calling of its citizens? To make this world a better place? To Christianize the world's culture? This is a valuable resource resource to help answer these questions biblically and in faithfulness to the Reformed confessions.
- Are you interested in learning more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
- The Reformed Book Outlet (downtown Hudsonville, MI) has now opened their new store in downtown Hudsonville! The new location is at 3472 Harvey St. in Hudsonville. Hours are Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m-5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-1 p.m. The website has also been redone to make it easier for customers, especially those who aren’t local, to browse our inventory, see descriptions of most of the items, and choose between shipping or local pickup at our store during business hours. Be sure to check it out!
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- The PR Sunday School Association also publishes complete OT and NT Bible Story Lessons for young children and older children. Visit this page to learn more.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation
"...lastly, the supreme thing [in marriage] always is to consider our Lord Jesus Christ. If a husband and wife are together considering Him, you need have no worry about their relationship to each other. Our human relationships and affections and loves are cemented by our common love to Him. If both are living to Him and His glory and His praise, if both have got uppermost in their minds the analogy of Christ and the church, and what He has done for the church that she might be redeemed, and that they, as individuals, might become the children of God — if they are overwhelmed by that thought and governed by it, there will be no danger of their personal relationship meeting with disaster. The headship of the husband will be the same kind of headship as the Headship of Christ over the church.... That is the secret — that we are ever to be looking unto Him and realizing that marriage is but a pale reflection of the relationship between Christ and His church. So the principle of success in marriage is this: ‘Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.’ ‘Husbands, let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself, and the wife see that she reverence her husband.’
~D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Life in the Spirit, p. 233,234.