On this final Lord's Day of November 2017 (Nov.26) we note the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, mission fields, and sister churches.
- Rev. J. Engelsma (Doon PRC) continues to consider the call from SW PRC (Wyoming, MI - received Nov.5). *Update: It was announced this morning that Rev. Engelsma DECLINED this call.
- Rev. B. Huizinga (Hope PRC (Redlands, CA) is considering the call from First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI (received Oct.29). *UPDATE: It was announced this morning that Rev. Huizinga DECLINED this call.
- The ordination of Pastor-elect S. Regnerus is planned for this Friday evening, Dec.1, in the Lynden PRC. That of Pastor-elect B. Feenstra is set for Dec.10 (afternoon service) in Immanuel PRC, Lacombe, AB. (cf. the note below on their examination this week in Lynden PRC)
- Cand.J. Langerak is supplying our Lynden PRC yet today, until the examination and ordination of pastor-elect S. Regnerus this weekend.
- Cand. D. Noorman continues to assist in our Hudsonville PRC while he waits for a call. He will also be traveling to Singapore to supply the Covenant ERC for three Sundays the end of the year and the beginning of the new year.
DENOMINATIONAL and SISTER-CHURCH NEWS
- Classis West will meet this Wednesday, Nov.29, in Lynden, WA. A call to worship for Lynden will be held Tuesday night during which time Pastor-Elect Regnerus will preach. Pastor-Elect Feenstra will preach before Classis Wed. morning. Both pastors-elect will be examined by the Classis. *NOTE: These specimen sermons and exams will be livestreamed through Lynden PRC's website here: www.lyndenprc.org/live. We pray for these young men as they submit to this phase of their entrance into the ministry of the Word.
- Mrs. Stephanie Lanning did a post on her blog ("Stories from Singapore") this week about the recent visit of Covenant ERC's missionary to India, Rev. E. Singh and his wife. Here is one picture she posted; find the rest at the link provided.
Mrs. Lanning adds this note: Rev. Emmanuel & Sonali Singh were just in Singapore for their annual visit from our mission work in Kolkata. CERC has made it a practice to invite them to Singapore at the time of the Reformation Day Conference each year. This year they were not only able to attend that, but Rev. Singh was able to be present at the annual church visitation. And they were able to fellowship with the saints in Singapore once again.
- Beacon Lights Christmas Special: Beacon Lights is running their Christmas Special again this year! Buy one subscription, and you’ll get another for free to gift to someone else! Beacon Lights magazine makes a great gift for anyone, but especially. It is filled with edifying articles, devotionals, poems, and more! Take advantage of this amazing offer today!
This coming Monday, November 27, Prof. David J. Engelsma will be interviewed by Christopher Amzen on his radio program “Iron Sharpens Iron” from 4-6 pm EST. The subject will be his recent book, Gospel Truth of Justification. Visit www.ironsharpensironradio.com and click on the livestream box to tune in and listen from any device. The program can also be listened to by phone at (563)999-9206; press #3 for Christian Radio when prompted. *UPDATE: An mp3 of the program is now available here.
- THE SECOND/FINAL INSTALLMENT of Prof. David Engelsma's response to questions submitted after his speech regarding spousal abuse is now available. Please visit Byron Center's website to find the appropriate link: byronprc.org.
Reformed Book Outlet: November special: RBO has a special offer for the month of November. When you purchase $35.00 worth of goods, before tax, you can pick out a free Protestant Reformed Psalm Singing Choir CD. We carry all 19 volumes of these CDs (the earlier ones are called Fitting Praises).
- NEW Psalter CD Available! The Covenant Christian High School Choirs (Grand Rapids, MI) have recently recorded their 3rd Psalm CD "Teach Me to Pray", which will be available in time for Christmas! Watch for a sign-up sheet at your church or contact the school office.
- THE HOPE HERALDS 2017 CD ENTITLED, “OUR GOD IS GOD” is available for $10 in the main offices of Covenant Chr. High School and Heritage Christian School and also at the Reformed Book Outlet and the PR Seminary bookstore. If you are not able to pick up your copy at any of these locations, please call or text Karen Daling (616-662-0784) or Dan VanDyke (616-610-3276) and we will mail the CD for $12. Thank you!
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Todays' message by radio pastor Rev. W. Bruinsma is titled "Called unto Holiness" based on 1 Thess.4:3-5, 7,8.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- Rev.R. Smit will be installed as third missionary to the Philippines today during the morning service at Doon PRC. He will then preach his inaugural sermon as a missionary during the 2nd worship service in Doon PRC. The Smits plan to move to the Philippines on December 25, the Lord willing.
- INDIA Delegation - From this week's Georgetown PRC bulletin we find this update: Our India Delegation (Rev. and Sue VanOverloop, Rick and Ronda Wieringa) spent a busy week with our fellow believers of the PRCV of Vellore, India. Time was spent in training local pastors in Reformed Doctrines, visiting families of the congregation, leading Bible Studies for both the English and Tamil Church, and conducting family vitiation for the Raj Family and Church Visitation for the PRCV. Daily updates [may be found] on our Church Facebook page. The Wieringas plan to return home this Wednesday. Pray for the Lord’s blessing.
Picture from Mrs. D. Kleyn's blog post on the book table at the recent Reformation 500 Conference.
- From the Nov.26 bulletins of the Berean PRC in Manila and the Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning their pastors as well as concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
- Berean PRC:
- Revs. Holstege and Ibe will lead us in our worship services today! Rev. Ibe will preach for the PCC in the first worship service today and Rev. Holstege in their 2nd worship service.
- Rev Ibe is scheduled to visit the saints in Sitio Karugang, Gabaldon NE on Friday (Dec. 01, 2017). Rev. Ibe will lead them in their study of the Essentials of Reformed doctrine on lesson #18.
- The PRFA (Protestant Reformed Fellowship in Albuera, Leyte) is now an official mission work of the PRCP. In view of the same, PRC in Bulacan was appointed as the calling church for PRFA and thus instructed by the Classis to arrange and to send a monthly delegation, pending the availability of the funds through special collections that all our PRCP congregations have been asked to take for mission work.
We welcome Rev. Vernon Ibe to our pulpit in the first service today. Rev. Holstege will preach for the Berean PRC in the first service, and here at PCC in the second. He will teach the Church Order at 10:15. Next week, Rev. Holstege plans to preach both times.
All members of PCC are warmly invited to the Youth Fellowship today at 1:30. Today we begin to look at the music and singing practices of the PRC. You will have opportunity to learn more about the Psalter, to ask questions about the singing practices of the PRC, and of course to sing together. Please join us for a time of fellowship and singing!
The SC also approved beginning Family Visitation in January. Rev. Holstege will visit all the families of PCC accompanied by at least one member of the SC. We will use Matthew 6:33 and the theme “Seeking First the Kingdom of God.”
Let's remember these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines in our prayers daily. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.