|Workbook for Old Testament History for Seniors|
|Updated: 2013-03-02 Size: 83 KB Downloads: 807|
1. From Article 2 of the Belgic Confession (in the back of the Psalter) fill in the missing words in this quotation: "We know him (God) by _______ means: first, by the ________________, preservation and government of the ________________; which is before our eyes as a most elegant _________, where in all _____________, great and small, are as so many _______________ leading us to contemplate the _______________ things of God, namely, his _________ and _______________,…"
2. From the last part of this same article finish these sentences:
a. All these things are sufficient to convince men, and leave them __________________________.
b. God may be known, secondly, more clearly and fully by His ____________________________.
3. Fill in the missing words of this quotation from Article 12 of the Belgic Confession: "We believe that the _________, by the Word, that is, by ____________, hath created of ___________, the __________, the __________, and all ____________, as it seemed good unto him, giving unto every creature its ________, ________, _________, and several ____________ to serve its ______________.
4. In this verse, Psalm 33:6, underscore the words which describe the way in which God created all things: "By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth."
5. Fill in the missing words in this verse, Proverbs 16:4: "The Lord hath made all things ______________: yea, even the wicked ______________________________________."
6. Finish these verses:
a. Genesis 2:18: "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; ___________________________________________________."
b. Genesis 2:24: "Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother and shall cleave unto his wife: _____________________________________."
7. Look up Question and Answer 26 of Lord’s Day 9 of the Heidelberg Catechism (in the back of the Psalter), and then answer these questions:
a. The eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ made heaven and earth of ___________________.
b. This eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is for the sake of Christ my ___________________.
c. I have no doubt that He will provide me with all things necessary for _____________________.
8. In Lord’s Day 3, Question and Answer 7, Adam and Eve are called our ______________________.
10. Look up Genesis 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31 and then indicate whether the following statement is true or false: Each one of the six days of creation week was limited by evening and morning. _________
1. Look up John 8:44 and then finish these sentences:
a. From the beginning the devil was a ______________________.
b. He abode not in the truth because __________________________________________________.
c. He is the father of the __________.
2. Underscore the names that the devil is called in this verse: "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world:…" Revelation 12:9
3. Look up Romans 5:12 and finish these sentences:
a. Sin entered into the world by ___________________.
b. And so death passed upon __________________.
4. From Article 15 of the Belgic Confession (in the back of the Psalter) fill in the missing words of this quotation: "We believe that, through the ____________________ of Adam, ___________
_________ is extended to _____________________; which is a corruption of the whole nature, and an hereditary ____________, wherewith ___________ themselves are ___________ even in their mother’s womb, and which ______________ in man all _________ of ______, being in him as a root thereof;…"
5. In the following sentences underscore the names of the seed of the serpent:
(See question 9 of the memory work.)
a. "But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly." Genesis 13:13
b. "Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God." Psalm 119:115
c. "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?" II Corinthians 6:14
d. "Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"
6. Read Genesis 3:7-13 and then underscore the statement or statements that are true:
(See question 8 of the memory work.)
a. Adam and Eve tried to cover up their sin.
b. Adam and Eve tried to put the blame on others.
c. Adam and Eve ran to God to confess their sins.
7. Underscore the names of the seed of the woman in the following verses:
a. "That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair;…" Genesis 6:2
b. "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened." Matthew 24:22
c. "…And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch." Acts 11:26
d. "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:..." Ephesians 1:1
8. Underscore what God calls the seed of the serpent in this verse: "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things?…" Matthew 12:34 And again in this verse: "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" Matthew 23:33
1. Look up I John 3:12 and then fill in these blank spaces: "Not as Cain, who was of that ______________ _______, and __________ his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own _____________
were __________, and his brother’s _________________________."
2. Underscore the correct statement below after reading the verse in question 1 as completed:
a. Cain’s works show that he was of the seed of the serpent.
b. Abel’s works show that he was of the seed of the serpent.
3. Fill in the following sentence from Hebrews 11:4: "By ____________ Abel offered unto God a _____________ excellent ___________________ than Cain, by which he obtained ____________________ that he was _______________________, God testifying of his _______________: and by it he being ___________ yet ________________."
4. Look up the answer to Question 106 of the Heidelberg Catechism (in the back of the Psalter) and list the causes of murder that are listed in this answer: _______________, ________________, ____________, and ______________ of _____________________.
5. Look up Genesis 4:25 and write out the reason why Eve called her third son Seth: _________________
6. From Proverbs 15:8 fill in these sentences:
a. The ____________________ of the ____________________ is an abomination to the Lord.
b. The ________________ of the ___________________ is God’s delight.
7. Lamech had three famous sons. From Genesis 4:19-21 write out that for which each son was noted:
a. Jabal: _______________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________
b. Jubal: _______________________________________________________________________
c. Tubalcain: ___________________________________________________________________
8. From the verses indicated write out that which we read of Enoch in each passage:
a. Enoch ____________________________________________. Genesis 5:24 a
b. And he was not, for God _______________________. Genesis 5:24 b
c. And by faith Enoch was _________________________ that ___________________________ ________________________________. Hebrews 11:5
d. And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam _____________________________________, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ______________________________ of His saints. Jude 14,15
9. Underscore the statement(s) below that is/are true:
a. God gave the victory to Enoch over his enemies when He translated him.
b. God has promised the victory to the seed of the serpent over the seed of the woman.
c. The seed of the serpent always has the victory over the church of God.
10. From Article 2 of the Third and Fourth Heads of Doctrine of the Canons of Dordrecht (in the back of the Psalter) fill in these sentences: "Man after the ___________ begat children in his own _____________. A corrupt _____________ produced a corrupt _________________. Hence ______ the posterity of Adam, ____________ only excepted, have derived _________________________ from their original __________________, not by ______________________ as the Pelagians of old asserted, but by the propagation of a vicious ______________________."
1. Fill in the missing words of this verse: "And he called his name _____________, saying, This same shall _________________ us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the _____________ which the Lord hath _______________." Genesis 5:29
2. Look up Genesis 2:5, 6 and indicate whether this statement is true or false:
Before the flood it had rained upon the face of the earth. __________
3. In Matthew 24: 37-39 Jesus speaks of His second coming at the end of time to judge the world. Underscore the statements below that are true:
a. In that day the wicked will be looking for Jesus.
b. In that day the wicked will be taken by surprise.
c. In that day the wicked will be joyful and live as though the world will continue forever.
4. Indicate whether this statement is true or false after looking up I Peter 3:20:
Noah and his family were saved by the water and in the ark. __________
5. From Genesis 7:2, 3 fill in the following sentences: "Of every ____________ beast thou shalt take to thee by ____________, the ________ and his _____________: and of beasts that are _______________ by _____, the _________ and his _____________. Of __________ also of the air by ______________, the male and the female; to keep __________ alive upon the face of all the _____________."
6. According to Genesis 8:20, what did Noah do with the seventh of each of the clean beasts? ___________________________________________________________________________________
7. Look up Genesis 9:13-16 and fill in these blanks:
a. The rainbow will be seen when God brings __________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________.
b. When God puts the rainbow in the sky, He will remember ______________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________.
8. Fill in the missing words in this verse, Genesis 9:9: "And I, behold, I establish my covenant with ________, and ____________________ after you:..."
Now fill in these blanks:
a. God establishes His ___________________ with Noah.
b. God establishes this covenant with Noah and with ____________________.
9. According to Acts 2:39, God’s promise is to us and to our _____________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
10. Look up II Peter 3:10-12 and fill in the missing words in these sentences:
a. Jesus will come as a _____________ in the _____________.
b. This time He will destroy the world, not by a flood of water but by _____________.
1. Fill in the blank spaces in the following sentence: "Wine is a _________, strong drink is ___________: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not __________." Proverbs 20:1
2. Do the same thing with this verse: "And be not ___________ with _______, wherein is excess; but be _____________ with the ___________;..." See Ephesians 5:18.
a. Noah cursed Canaan the son of Ham. __________
b. The descendants of Canaan dwelt in Sodom and Gomorrah. __________
4. The leader of the sinful movement to build the tower of Babel was __________________, the beginning of whose kingdom was ____________ and Erech. Genesis 10:8-10
5. Babel means confusion. The city was called Babel because "…the Lord did there __________________ _________________________ of all the earth:…" Genesis 11:9
6. When man unites the whole world again under one kingdom, it will be the kingdom of the Antichrist. In Revelation 13:1 John sees him arising as a beast out of the sea. Power was given him over __________ _____________________________________________________________________. See Revelation 13:7.
7. God will overthrow also this wicked kingdom. Then the beast or antichrist and the false prophet will both be cast alive into a ______________________________________________________. See Revelation 19:20.
8. Fill in the blanks from the texts indicated:
a. "…and thou (Abraham) shalt be a father of __________ nations." Genesis 17:4
b. "And in thy (Abraham’s) seed shall _____ nations of the earth be blessed;…" Genesis 22:18
c. "…for thou (Jesus) wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of ___________ kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;..." Revelation 5:9
9. In the light of your answer to question 8 indicate whether this statement is true or false:
The church of God is gathered out of all nations of the world. _________
10. In Daniel 2:34, 35, the kingdom of Christ is pictured as a stone that is cut out of the mountain.
a. This stone is cut out without ___________.
b. It grew and became a ______________________________.
c. It then ___________ the __________________________.
1. Abraham was ____ years old when he departed out of Haran. See Genesis 12:4.
Look up Genesis 17:17 and tell how much older Abraham was than Sarah. ____
2. In Acts 7:5 we read: "And he (God) gave him (Abraham) none inheritance in it (the land of Canaan), no, not so much as to _________________________________: yet he ________________ that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his ________ after him, when as yet he had no ________."
3. When Abraham was 86 years old, __________ bare _________________ to him. See Genesis 16:16.
4. Melchizedek was one Canaanite who was a believer. He was _________ of _____________ and ___________ of the Most High God. See Genesis 14:18.
Indicate whether this statement is true or false: There were priests of God in the Old Testament times before the tabernacle was built by Moses. ________
5. God blessed Abraham in Canaan and made him to be rich in _____________, in _____________, and in __________. See Genesis 13:2.
Now indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. These kinds of treasures last forever. ________ See Matthew 6:19.
b. There is a treasure that God’s people keep forever. _________ See Matthew 6:20.
c. Only because Abraham was rich toward God were these material things a blessing to him.
________ See Luke 12:20, 21.
6. Of the cities where Lot went to dwell we read, "But the men of Sodom were _________________ and ________________ before the Lord ____________________." See Genesis 13:13.
7. Of Lot we read in II Peter 2:8 that he "…vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds." Indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. Lot knew that he was dwelling in a wicked city. _________
b. Lot’s conscience bothered him in this wicked city. _________
c. Lot was a God-fearing man. _________
8. "…Abraham begat ___________, and circumcised him the eighth day; and Isaac begat ___________; and Jacob begat the ____________________________________." See Acts 7:8. In this verse the twelve sons of Jacob are called the twelve ____________________.
10. Fill in this verse from Isaiah 41:8: "But thou, _______________, art my servant, _______________ whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my ___________________."
2. In Genesis 21:9 we read, "And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, ________________." In Galatians 4:29 Paul explains this by stating that "…he that was born after the flesh (Ishmael) ____________________ him that was born after the Spirit (Isaac),…"
3. God said to Abraham, "…in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in _________ ___________________________________________________________." See Genesis 21:12.
4. In Hebrews 11:13 we read that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob "…confessed that they were ________________ and _______________ on the ____________."
5. Abraham sought a believing wife for Isaac, and Paul says in II Corinthians 6:14, "Be ye not ________________ yoked together with _____________________: for what fellowship hath _________________ with ____________________ ? and what communion hath _____________ with ____________________?"
6. In John 1:29 John the Baptist says of Jesus, "Behold the ___________ of _________, which taketh away the ________ of the _____________."
7. Stephen says in Acts 7:17 that when Abraham’s seed was in Egypt, "…the people _____________ and ________________________.…" In Genesis 22:17 God told Abraham that his seed would multiply to be as the __________ of the ___________ and as the _________ which is upon the ________________.
8. Look up Galatians 3:16 and indicate whether this statement is true or false: The promise which God gave to Abraham was to many seeds. _________
9. Galatians 3:16 teaches us that the seed of Abraham to whom the promise is given is _______________.
10. Fill in this verse from Psalm 25:14: "The ________________ of the Lord is with them that __________ him; and he will shew them his _____________________."
1. From the answer to Question 7 of the Heidelberg Catechism fill in this sentence: "From the _________ and __________________ of our first parents, Adam and Eve, in ________________; hence our nature is become so ________________, that we are all ________________ and _________ in sin."
2. Jesus says in John 3:6, "That which is _________ of the ____________ is ____________; and that which is ________ of the ___________ is ___________."
3. Fill in this verse from Romans 9:11, 12: "(For the ____________________ being not yet __________, neither having done any ________ or ________, that the purpose of God according to ______________
might stand, not of ____________, but of him that calleth;) It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger."
4. The text above in Romans 9:11 speaks of election. Indicate which of these statements concerning election are true and which are false:
a. God elects us before we can do good or evil. __________
b. We are not elected until we are born. __________
c. The elect are called unto salvation. __________
5. When Esau married heathen wives, this was a ____________ of mind to ___________ and to _________________. See Genesis 26:34, 35.
6. In Genesis 28:13-15 God promised Jacob:
a. "…the ___________ whereon thou liest, to thee will I ___________ it,…"
b. "And thy seed shall be as the ________ of the ______________,…"
c. "…I am _____________________, and will ____________ thee…."
d. "…and will bring thee again into ____________________;…"
7. Jacob said to his wives, "…but the God of my father hath _________________________." Genesis 31:5
And "…but God _______________ him (Laban) not to ___________________." Genesis 31:7
8. List the twelve sons of Jacob as found in Exodus 1:1-6 and memorize them:
________________________ ________________________ ________________________
________________________ ________________________ ________________________
________________________ ________________________ ________________________
________________________ ________________________ ________________________
9. Finish this sentence: "O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is __________: for his __________________ _____________________________________." See Psalm 107:1.
10. Look up Question and Answer 114 in the Heidelberg Catechism and answer these questions:
a. The holiest of men have only a small _______________________________________________.
b. With sincere resolution they ______________________________________________________
c. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had only a ___________ beginning of obedience.
1. Joseph’s brothers were moved with ____________ to sell him into Egypt. See Acts 7:9.
2. Fill in this verse from Genesis 50:20: "But as for you, ye thought __________ against me; but God meant it unto _________, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to _________ much people _____________."
Underscore the statement which is true:
a. God uses the evil intentions of men for the good of His people.
b. Evil men are able to keep God from doing good to His people.
3. From Romans 8:28 fill in this verse: "And we __________ that _______ things work together for _________ to them that ________ God, to them who are the _____________ according to his purpose."
a. Those who love God are the _______________ according to His _____________.
b. The one who works all things together for good is _______.
4. Joseph dreamt that his brothers would bow down before him. Read Genesis 42:6 and then indicate whether it is true or false that they did bow down before him. _________
5. Read Genesis 45:7 and then fill in these sentences:
a. The one who sent Joseph to Egypt was _________.
b. Joseph was sent unto Egypt to ____________________________________________________.
c. He was sent to save their lives by a _______________________________________.
6. In Genesis 44:16 Judah says that God has found out their iniquity. In this verse he calls himself and his brothers Joseph’s ___________________. He calls Joseph their ____________. He said that it was impossible for them to clear themselves because God had ___________________ out their iniquity.
7. Look up Genesis 15:13 and answer these questions:
a. God told Abraham that the Israelites would be afflicted in a land that is ___________________.
b. They would be afflicted there for __________________.
c. This land, according to Exodus 1:8-11, was the land of _____________.
8. Read Genesis 50:13 and then finish these sentences:
a. Jacob was buried in the land of ____________.
b. His dead body was carried there by his ________.
c. Abraham bought this piece of land for a _____________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________.
9. Joseph said to his brothers, "…and ye shall carry up my __________ from __________." See Genesis 50:25. Indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. We expect our bodies to be raised from the dead and to enter into the heavenly Canaan when Christ returns. _________
b. We are taught here by Jacob’s and Joseph’s examples to have our dead bodies buried rather than destroyed. _________
10. Exodus 1:7 says that in Egypt "…the children of Israel were _______________, and _______________ ________________, and __________________, and waxed __________________________________; and the land was _______________ with them."
1. Look up Exodus 1:14, 17, 22 and finish these sentences:
a. Pharaoh made the lives of the Israelites bitter with ____________________________________.
b. The midwives __________________ God.
c. Pharaoh commanded the people to cast every son into the ____________.
2. Moses’ father and mother were both of the tribe of ________. See Exodus 2:1.
They hid Moses for _________________. Exodus 2:2
3. Look up Exodus 2:10 and indicate whether this statement is true or false:
Moses was given the name Moses by his father and mother. _________
4. At the burning bush God called Himself _____________. See Exodus 3:13, 14.
5. Look up Exodus 8:21, 22 and indicate whether it is true or false that the fourth plague fell on the land of Goshen where the Israelites dwelt. _________
6. From I Corinthians 5:7 fill in this sentence: "…For even _____________ our ___________________ is _______________________ for us:…"
Now indicate whether the following statements are true or false:
a. Jesus is called our passover because He died in our place. _________
b. Because of Jesus’ death the angel of God’s wrath passes over us also today, so that we are not destroyed in God’s wrath. _________
c. According to Romans 1:6 the gospel of Christ is only for the Jews. __________
7. From Exodus 14:13, 14 fill in this sentence: "…Fear ye not, stand still, and see the ________________ of the _________,…The Lord shall ____________ for you, and ye shall hold your _______________."
8. There is growth in the church of God here on earth. Look up the verses and indicate this growth in the following sentences:
a. The church delivered by the Flood numbered ___ souls. See I Peter 3:20.
b. The church that entered Egypt numbered ____ souls. See Genesis 46:27.
c. The church that left Egypt numbered _____________________________ besides children and a mixed multitude. Exodus 12:37, 38
9. Fill in this sentence from Exodus 20:2: "I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of ____________, out of the ____________ of _________________."
10. This deliverance through the Red Sea is the second great victory that God gave to His church. The first great victory was the _____________. See the memory work of Lesson 4.
1. Fill in this verse: "That is, They which are the children of the ____________, these are ______ the children of God: but the children of the _________________ are counted for the seed." See Romans 9:8.
2. Look up I Corinthians 10:6 and then complete these sentences:
a. The Israelites lusted after _______________________.
b. When God overthrew them in the wilderness this was for our _______________.
c. In I John 2:16 we are warned against the lust of the ____________, the lust of the ________,
and the ____________ of life.
3. At Elim Israel found twelve ___________________ and seventy _______________. See Exodus 15:27.
4. Look up Exodus 16:3 and then indicate whether this statement is true or false:
The Israelites wished that they had died in Egypt. __________
5. Underscore the correct statement or statements below after looking up Exodus 16:20. Those who gathered more manna than they could eat in one day found the next day:
a. That it was full of worms.
b. That it had melted and disappeared.
c. That it was still good to eat.
6. Fill in this verse: "…for they drank of that _____________________ that followed them: and that _________ was _____________." I Corinthians 10:4
7. Jesus told the Samaritan woman that He could give her ______________________. See John 4:10.
8. Look up Isaiah 40:25 and then underscore the statements below that are true:
a. God can be likened to a creature.
b. The devil lied when he said that man would become like God.
c. We insult God when we try to make an image of Him, for we make Him equal with the creature.
9. Look up the answer to Question 97 of the Heidelberg Catechism and indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. God cannot and may not be represented by images. _________
b. We may represent creatures by means of images. _________
c. We may not make a representation of a creature in order to worship it. _________
10. Paul says in Ephesians 2:8, 9 that we are saved by __________ and not by our __________, lest any man should _________.
1. Look up Question and Answer 5 of the Heidelberg Catechism and indicate whether it is true or false that we are prone to hate God and our neighbor. _________
2. Look up Exodus 19:16-19 and then underscore those signs which took place at Mt. Sinai:
a. earthquake c. thunder e. smoke g. thick cloud
b. trumpet sound d. lightning f. fire h. hail
3. Paul says in Romans 7:7: "…for I had not known _______ , except the _____ had said, Thou shalt not covet."
4. Fill in this verse from Galatians 3:13: "Christ hath ___________________ us from the _____________ of the ______, being made a __________ for us:…"
5. According to Galatians 3:24 the law was Israel’s ____________________ to bring them to __________.
6. Read Isaiah 53:6 and then finish the following sentences:
a. Isaiah likens us here to _____________.
b. We have turned every one to ________________________.
c. The Lord hath laid on Christ the _____________________________________________.
7. From Article 3 of the Second Head of Doctrine of the Canons of Dordrecht (in the back of the Psalter) complete this statement: "The death of the ______ of ______ is the _______ and most _____________ sacrifice and _____________________ for _____; and is of infinite ___________ and ___________, abundantly sufficient to expiate the _______ of the whole _____________."
8. Look up Exodus 40:34 and fill in this verse about the completed tabernacle:
"Then a _________ covered the _______ of the congregation, and the ___________ of the Lord filled the ____________________."
9. Read Leviticus 16:15 and then complete these sentences:
a. The priest must kill _____________________________________________________________.
b. The priest must bring his blood ________________________________.
c. He must sprinkle that blood upon the ___________________________.
10. Look up Hebrews 9:11 and then fill in the following sentences:
a. Christ is come as an high priest of ____________________________________________.
b. His tabernacle is _____________ and more ________________.
c. His tabernacle is not ___________ with ___________.
1. Fill in these words of the unbelieving spies as found in Numbers 13:28: "Nevertheless the people be ____________ that dwell in the land, and the cities are _____________, and very ___________: and moreover we saw the children of _______ there."
2. Look up Numbers 13:33 and fill in the following sentences:
a. The sons of Anak were _____________.
b. The Israelites were in the sight of these men as ________________________.
3. Joshua and Caleb expressed their faith by saying, "If the Lord _________________ in us, then he will __________ us into this land, and ________ it us;…" See Numbers 14:8.
4. From Psalm 60:12 finish this sentence: "Through ______ we shall do _________________: for he it is that shall _________________ our ______________."
5. Hebrews 3:19 says that the Israelites could not enter into the land because of __________________. And Hebrews 11:33 and 34 teaches that by faith God’s people stopped the ___________ of _________, quenched the __________ of ______, escaped the ________ of the ___________, turned to __________ the __________of the __________.
6. Look up John 3:14, 15 and finish these sentences:
a. Jesus calls Himself here the __________________.
b. He states that He must be _________________.
c. The picture of His being lifted up was seen in the wilderness when Moses __________ up the ___________.
7. From Deuteronomy 29:5 fill in these sentence: "And I have led you _______ years in the wilderness:
your _________ are not ________________ upon you, and thy _______ is not waxen ______ upon thy _______."
8. From Numbers 16:3 fill in the following statement of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram: "Ye take _____ _______ upon you, seeing all the congregation are _________, every one of them, and the Lord is _________ them: wherefore then _______ ye up yourselves _________ the congregation of the Lord?"
9. Look up Numbers 16:32 and then finish these sentences:
a. The earth swallowed up all their __________, all their ______________, and all their ________.
b. The earth opened her _________ and _______________ up all these things and men.
10. These men and their families went down alive into the pit. Look up Numbers 16:33 and indicate whether this is true or false. _______
1. Before he struck the rock, Moses called the people of God rebels. Look up Numbers 20:10 and indicate whether this is true or false. _________
2. Moses died in the land of Moab. See Deuteronomy 34:5, 6. Find Moab on a map and indicate whether it is east or west of the Dead Sea. _______
3. Look up Hebrews 8:6 and finish these sentences:
a. Christ has obtained a ______ excellent _______________.
b. He is the _____________ of a _________________________.
c. His covenant is established on _________________________.
4. Did the waters of Jordan part before or after the priests stepped into the waters? See Joshua 3:13-16. _______
5. Look up Numbers 32:33 and write out the names of the tribes that received land east of the Jordan River: ___________________________________________________________________________________
Which one also had land on the west side of the Jordan River? ____________
6. Fill in this sentence from Hebrews 11:31: "By _________ the harlot __________ perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the __________ with ____________."
Indicate which of the following is the teaching of this text by underscoring the correct one:
She revealed her faith:
a. By receiving these spies with peace.
b. By lying about these spies.
7. Read Galatians 3:14 and then finish these sentences:
a. The blessing of Abraham came upon the _____________.
b. This blessing comes through _______________________.
c. We receive the promise of the Spirit through ___________.
8. Fill in this sentence after looking up Joshua 24:14: "Now therefore _______ the Lord, and __________ him in _______________ and in _________: and put away the _______ which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and __________ ye the _______."
9. The Levites were not given a portion of the promised land, but instead they were given cities to dwell in. Look up Joshua 21:8 and indicate whether this is true of false. ________
1. Fill in the missing words in this verse: "_________ up a child in the ______ he should go: and when he is _______, he will not ___________ from it." See Proverbs 22:6.
2. Look up Exodus 20:5 and then indicate whether these sentences are true or false:
a. God calls Himself a jealous God. ________
b. He says that He will overlook the sins of those who make idols to worship. ________
c. He declares that those who bow down to graven images are those that hate Him. ________
3. Soon after Joshua died the Israelites served _______ and ________________. See Judges 2:13.
4. Look up Judges 3:9 and then finish these sentences:
a. The first judge that Israel had was ____________.
b. He was the son of __________, the younger brother of _________.
5. Fill in the missing words of Jonathan’s speech as found in I Samuel 14:6: "...it may be that the Lord will _______ for us: for there is no ____________ to the Lord to ________ by ________ or by ______."
6. The Israelites wanted a king for three reasons. Look up I Samuel 8:20 and list them below:
a. That they might be _______________________________________________.
b. That their king might _______________________.
c. That he might________________________________________________________________.
7. Gideon and his men cried, "The _______________________________________________________." See Judges 7:20.
8. Samuel was the son of Elkanah. Elkanah was the son of Jeroham. Look up I Chronicles 6:1, 27, 28 and then answer these questions:
a. The tribe from which Elkanah and Samuel came was the tribe of _________.
b. Numbers 1:50 says that the tribe to which Samuel belonged was appointed over the __________ ___________________________________________________________________.
c. Therefore Samuel: (underscore the correct one.)
1. Might offer sacrifices to God.
2. Might not offer sacrifices to God.
9. From I Samuel 3:1 finish this sentence: "And the ________ of the Lord was ________________ in those days; there was no open ____________."
10. Look up I Samuel 8:7. When Israel wanted a king, Israel rejected ______ from being their king. They did not want God to ________ over them.
1. Look up I Samuel 18:10 and finish these sentences:
a. An evil spirit came upon Saul from ______.
b. It was an _______ spirit that came upon Saul.
2. Samuel said to Saul, "…Because thou hast ____________ the ______ of the ______, he hath also ______________________ from being _______." See I Samuel 15:23.
3. Unto Abraham God said, "In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy _____ have I given this _____, from the river of _______ unto the great river, the river ____________."
Genesis 15:18 How far is it from the River Nile to the River Euphrates? Look it up on a map. _______
4. From Psalm 44:3 fill in this verse: "For they got _____ the land in possession by their own _________, neither did their own _____ save them: but thy __________________, and thine _____, and the light of _____ countenance, because thou hadst a ______________ unto them."
5. The idea of the theocracy is expressed in Psalm 99:1. The text states:
a. That the Lord _____________.
b. He sits upon His throne between the ________________.
c. These cherubim were on the ______________________________________. See Exodus 25:18.
6. Fill in this sentence: "For the Lord hath chosen ________; he hath desired it for his _______________."
See Psalm 132:13.
7. Solomon’s riches and glory are described in I Kings 10:21.
a. His drinking vessels were of _______.
b. His vessels of the house of the forest of Lebanon were of ________________.
c. Silver was nothing ___________________ in Solomon’s days.
8. Fill in these words of Solomon: "But now the Lord my God hath given me ______ on ___________ side, so that there is neither ______________ nor ______ occurrent." See I Kings 5:4.
9. In Psalm 110:1 David says, "The Lord saith unto my Lord, _____ thou at my _________________, until I make thine ____________ thy ________________."
10. The conquest of all the land that God promised to Abraham was the third great victory for the church. Look up Lessons 4 and 10 and list the other two great victories: a. ___________________________
1. Of Abraham we read in Hebrews 11:10: "For he looked for a ______ which hath _________________, whose ___________ and _________ is _____."
2. Fill in this verse from Revelation 21:10, 11: "An he carried me away in the spirit to a _________ and _______ mountain, and shewed me that great ______, the __________________________, descending out of heaven from God. Having the _________ of God: and her light was like unto a ________ most ___________________,…"
3. Do the same with this verse from Revelation 21:21: "And the twelve gates were twelve ___________: every several gate was of one __________: and the street of the city was pure _______, as it were transparent _________."
4. Look up I Kings 11:12. It was for _______’s sake that God did not rend the kingdom out of Solomon’s hand.
5. Read I Kings 12:4 and then finish these sentences:
a. Solomon’s yoke was ________________.
b. The people asked that it might be made _____________.
c. They promised to __________ him.
6. Fill in this verse from I Peter 2:18: "Servants, be __________ to your ____________ with all _______; not only to the ________ and _____________, but also to the ______________."
7. Look up Question and Answer 104 of the Heidelberg Catechism and then indicate whether these sentences are true or false:
a. We must show honor, love, and fidelity to all those who are in authority over us. _______
b. We do not need to bear patiently with the weaknesses and infirmities of those who rule us. _____
c. The ten tribes kept the fifth commandment when they refused to obey Rehoboam. _______
8. Fill in this sentence from II Chronicles 11:4: "Thus saith the Lord, Ye shall ______ go up, nor fight against your ______________: return every man to his __________: for this thing is done of ____."
9. Look up I Kings 11:26 and indicate whether it is true or false that Jeroboam was an enemy of King Solomon before Rehoboam became king. ________
10. Fill in these statements from I Kings 12:16: "…What _____________ have we in _________? neither have we ______________ in the son of ________: to your ________, O Israel: now see to thine own house, _________."
1. From II Kings 17:21 fill in the following sentence: "…and Jeroboam _______ Israel from ___________ the Lord, and made them _____ a great _____."
2. Look up II Kings 17:8-11 and then finish these sentences:
a. The Kingdom of Israel walked in the statutes of the ___________.
b. They set themselves up __________ and ____________.
c. They burnt incense in all the high places as did the ___________.
3. Finish this sentence from I Kings 12:31: "…and made priests of the ____________________________, which were not of the sons of _____."
4. Read I Kings 16:32, 33 and then finish these sentences:
a. The most wicked king in Israel to this time was ________.
b. He introduced ______ worship to Israel.
c. He reared up an ______ for ______ and made a ________.
5. The number of people who had not bowed down to Baal was __________. These people had not _______________ him. See I Kings 19:18.
6. Fill in this sentence from I Kings 18:21: "And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long ______ ye between two __________? If the Lord be God, _________________: but if Baal, then ________________."
7. Read Romans 9:6 and then indicate whether it is true or false that all those who are born in Israel are the true Israel of God. _______
8. Israel was carried away captive by the ______________. They were carried away into ________. See
9. From II Kings 17:25 fill in this sentence: "And so it was at the beginning of their (the Samaritans) ____________ there, that they feared _____ the Lord: therefore the Lord sent _______ among them, which _______ some of ________."
10. Fill in these sentences concerning the Samaritans:
a. Every nation made them _______ of their own, and put them in the ___________ of the high places. II Kings 17:29
b. The Jews had no ____________ with the Samaritans in Jesus’ day. John 4:9
c. Before Jesus ascended up to heaven He told His disciples that they would be witnesses of Him in all Judea, and in ___________, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8
1. Read Matthew 22:14 and then underscore the statements below that are true:
a. All those called by God are His chosen people.
b. More are called by God than are chosen by God unto salvation.
2. Fill in this verse from I Kings 14:22: "And Judah did ______ in the sight of the ______, and they _____________ him to jealously with their _______ which they committed, __________ all that their fathers had done."
3. Fill in this verse: "And Asa did that which was ______ and ________ in the eyes of the Lord his God." See II Chronicles 14:2.
4. Read II Chronicles 21:6 and then finish these sentences:
a. Jehoram’s wife was ________________.
b. Jehoram wrought that which was __________________________________________________.
5. Read II Chronicles 24:8, 9 and fill in the following:
a. At King Joash’s command they made a ________.
b. They set it ______________ the gate of the ______________________________.
c. They made a proclamation to bring in to the Lord the ________________ that ______________
__________________________________ had laid upon Israel in the _________________.
6. Of Ahaz we read in II Chronicles 28:2 that he walked in the ways of the ____________________ and made also _________________________________________________.
7. Read II Chronicles 30:1 and indicate whether these sentences are true or false:
a. Hezekiah did not send letters to the Kingdom of Israel to invite them to the passover. ______
b. Hezekiah sent letters to Ephraim and Manasseh telling them to come to his passover. ______
c. Ephraim and Manasseh belonged to the Kingdom of Judah. ______
8. Look up II Chronicles 30:18 and write the names of the tribes that came to Hezekiah’s passover.
9. Fill in this sentence from II Chronicles 33:9: "So ______________ made _________ and the inhabitants of _____________ to _____, and to do ________ than the _____________, whom the Lord had destroyed before the children of _________."
10 Fill in this verse from Micah 5:2: "But thou, _________________________, though thou be _________ among the thousands of ________, yet out of thee shall come he forth unto me that is to be _______ in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of _____, from _________________." This is the prophecy of the place of the birth of _________.
1. The Kingdom of Judah was taken into captivity when ________________ was king of Judah. See II Kings 24:20.
2. Fill in this verse from II Kings 25:13: "And the ______________________ that were in the _________
_____________ and the _________, and the ____________________ that was in the house of the Lord, did the _______________ break in pieces, and carried the _________ of them to _______________."
3. Fill in this sentence from Hebrews 12:6: "For whom the Lord __________ he _________________, and ______________ every son whom he ____________________."
4. Read Hebrews 11:16 and then finish these sentences:
a. The kind of country that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob sought was a ____________.
b. This country is an _____________ one.
c. God has prepared for them a _______.
5. Daniel and his three friends were all from the tribe of ___________. See Daniel 1:6. From this tribe came all the kingdom of Judah’s: (Underscore the correct one.) a. Prophets b. Priests c. Kings
6. Fill in this verse from Psalm 137:2, 3: "We hanged our ________ upon the ____________ in the midst thereof. For there they that carried us away _____________ required of us a ________; and they that wasted us required of us __________, saying, ________ us one of the __________ of ________."
Indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. The Israelites were happy in the land of captivity. __________
b. The Israelites had forgotten all about Zion. __________
7. In Hebrews 8:2 we read:
a. That Jesus was the ______________ of the sanctuary.
b. This sanctuary is called the true _______________.
c. This sanctuary was pitched by the ________.
8. Fill in this verse from Revelation 21:2: "And I John saw the _______________, __________________, coming down from _____ out of ___________, prepared as a ________ adorned for her ___________." Revelation 21:1 says that the first ____________ and the first __________ were __________________.
9. Look up II Kings 25:9. The houses which Nebuchadnezzar had burned were:
a. ___________________ c. ____________________
b. ___________________ d. ____________________
1. In Daniel 2:32, 33 we read of Nebuchadnezzar’s image. Its head was of ________________.
Its breast and arms were of ___________. Its belly and thighs were of ___________.
Its legs were of _________ and its feet were part of _________ and part of _________.
2. Fill in this sentence from Daniel 2:34: "Thou sawest till that a __________ was cut out without ________, which _________ the ________ upon his ______ that were of ______ and ______,…"
3. Look up Daniel 2:44 and then finish these sentences:
a. God will set up a kingdom that will _________________________________.
b. It shall ____________________ and ___________ all these nations.
c. It shall _______________________.
5. Fill in this sentence from Daniel 5:5: "In the same hour came forth __________ of a man’s hand, and _________ over against the _________________ upon the plaster of the king’s __________: and the king saw the part of the _______ that _________."
6. Daniel said that God had sent an angel to shut the mouths of the lions. Look up Daniel 6:22 and indicate whether this statement is true or false. _______
a. God called him by his name for the sake of __________.
b. God surnamed him even though he did not ______________.
c. This all happened before Cyrus was born. Therefore it shows that: (Underscore the statement that is true.)
1. God determines all things that shall happen.
2. God does not plan all the details of our lives.
8. The number of those who went back to Canaan was ___________. See Ezra 2:64.
9. The number of the servants that went back with them was ________. See Ezra 2:65. The total number was therefore _____________.
10. Look up Ezra 1:7, 8 and indicate whether this is true or false: Cyrus gave the Jews the vessels of the house of the Lord, which Nebuchadnezzar had taken from Jerusalem, to take back to Canaan. _______
1. Fill in this sentence from II Chronicles 36:19: "And they burnt the ______________________, and brake down the ______ of __________________, and _________ all the ____________ thereof with fire, and destroyed all the ________________________ thereof."
2. With these words God gave Moses commandment to build the tabernacle: "And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may ________ among them." See Exodus 25:8. And in Exodus 29:45 we read, "And I (God) will ________ among the children of _________, and will be their ____."
3. Look up Psalm 122:1-4 and then finish these sentences:
a. The temple of God is called here the _____________________________.
b. The people of God are ______ when men say unto them, Let us go into the ________ of the ______.
c. The Israelites went there to give ____________.
4. Look up Hebrews 10:4, 10 and indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. The blood of bulls and goats took away the sins of the Israelites in the Old Testament times. _______
b. We are saved by the body of Jesus Christ. _______
c. Jesus was offered up, not in the temple, but on the cross. _______
5. According to Ezra 6:9 King Darius commanded the Samaritans to give to the Israelites both ________
__________, and ______, and ________, for the burnt offerings and _______, _____, _____, and ____, according to the appointment of the priests.
6. Paul writes in Ephesians 2:21, 22: "In whom (Jesus) all the ____________ (His church) fitly framed together groweth unto an __________________ in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an ________________ of God through the ________."
7. Look up Ezra 3:11-13 and indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. Some of the people shouted out loud when they saw the temple’s foundation. _______
b. Those who shouted aloud did so for joy. _______
c. Those who were weeping did not want the temple to be built again in Jerusalem. ______
8. Fill in this verse from Psalm 89:33: "Nevertheless my ____________________ will I not ___________ take from him, nor suffer my _________________ to ______."
9. Read Luke 4:18 and then indicate whether the following statement is true or false:
Jesus came to set us free because we are in the captivity of sin. _______
10. This is the fourth great deliverance that God gave to His church. List the other three after referring to Lessons 4, 10, and 16.
a. It is sinful for a man to put away his wife. _______
b. A man may put away his wife, but a wife may not put away her husband. ________
c. King Ahasuerus sinned by putting away his wife. ________
2. Esther entered into a beauty contest to please an unbelieving and wicked king. Underscore the statements below that are correct:
a. We may enter beauty contests to get the praise of men.
b. Esther was seeking the glory of God by trying to please this wicked, divorced king.
c. A woman may not marry a divorced man.
3. In Esther 2:20 we read that Esther hid her people and her kindred from the king. Underscore the correct statements below. Because she hid her people and kindred she also hid her religion by:
a. Not praying to God as the Jew always did.
b. Not refusing to eat unclean meat as God had demanded.
c. Not honoring her cousin Mordecai.
4. In Psalm 137:5 the believers in the captivity spoke and behaved differently. There they say: "If I ____________ thee, O _______________, let my right ______ forget her _____________."
5. According to Esther 3:8 Haman says of the Israelites that:
a. Their laws were _____________________________________________________.
b. They keep not ___________________________.
c. It is not the king’s ___________ to let them live.
6. The name of God does not appear once in the whole book of Esther. Indicate whether these statements are true or false:
a. This shows that neither Esther nor Mordecai confessed God in the land of captivity._______
b. This shows that Esther and Mordecai were strong believing people of God. _______
7. Look up Esther 6:11 and indicate whether this is true or false:
Mordecai had to show the honor and delight of the king to Haman on the streets of the city. _______
8. Haman was hanged on his own gallows. Psalm 7:15 declares: "He made a _____, and _________ it, and is ________ into the ________ which he _______." And in verse 16, "His ____________ shall __________ upon his _____ head,…"
9. The Jews made the _____ day of the month ________ a day of _____________ and __________, and a _______ day, and of ____________ portions one to _______________. See Esther 9:19.
1. In Ezra 7:6 we read of Ezra: "This Ezra went up from _____________; and he was a ready ________ in the ____ of ________, which the Lord God of _________ had given:…" Nehemiah says of himself in Nehemiah 1:11, "I was the king’s ________________."
2. The Israelites bought and sold on the Sabbath. In doing so they broke the ____ commandment of God. This commandment says that we must keep the Sabbath day _______. See Exodus 20 for the ten commandments.
3. Solomon married heathen wives. In I Kings 11:4-6 we read that these heathen wives turned _________ ___________________________________________________________________________________.
4. Nehemiah says in Nehemiah 13:28, "And one of the sons of Joiada, the son of Eliashib the _______
________, was ____ in ____ to Sanballat the ___________:…" In Nehemiah 6:1 Sanballat is called one of the ___________ of Israel.
5. Haggai rebukes the Israelites who did not rebuild God’s temple with these words: "Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your _______________, and this _________(the temple) lie _______?" See Haggai 1:4.
6. Of Jesus Paul says in II Corinthians 5:21, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."
a. God made Jesus to be _________________.
b. Of Jesus he says that He _______ no _____.
c. God made Him to be sin so that we might be made the ________________of God in Him.
7. In Malachi 3:8 we read: "Will a man _____ God? Yet ye have robbed ____. But ye say, Wherein have we _________ thee? In _________ and _____________." And in Malachi 1:13 we read that the Israelites brought for offerings that which was _______ and the ______, and the ______.
8. In Romans 9:16 Paul says, "So then it is not of him that ________, nor of him that __________, but of God that sheweth _________."
10. In Malachi 3:6 we read: "For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." Underscore the statements below that are true:
a. Because God does not change, His people will surely be saved.
b. A God who loves the wicked in this life and hates them in the life to come is a changeable God.
c. We can make God change His mind by refusing to believe in Christ.
1. Look up Luke 6:6 and then finish these sentences:
a. On the Sabbath Jesus went into the _______________.
b. Jesus’ purpose in going to the synagogue of the Jews was to ___________. See Matthew 13:54.
2. According to Acts 1:8 Jesus told His disciples that they would be witnesses of Him both in __________, and in all ________, and in ______________, and unto the ______________ part of the _________.
3. The people who were in Jerusalem at the time of the pouring out of the Spirit were ______________, and ________, and ____________, and dwellers in ___________________, and in __________, and ______________, in ___________, and _______, ____________, and ____________, in __________, and in the parts of ____________ about ____________, and strangers of _________, __________ and _____________________. See Acts 2:9, 10.
4. In Genesis 49:10 we read, "The _______________ shall not ___________ from _________, nor a _____________ from between his feet, until __________ come; and unto him shall the _____________ of the people be."
5. Paul writes in Romans 1:3 that Jesus was "…made of the seed of David according to the _________;..." The angel tells Mary that God will give her son the throne of His __________________. See Luke 1:32.
6. Look up Revelation 11:15. The angel sounds his trumpet, and great voices in heaven say:
a. The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdom of our ______ and of His _________.
b. He shall reign __________________________.
7. Look up Romans 16:20 and fill in this verse: "And the God of ________ shall _________ Satan under your ______ shortly." Test your memory. In which lesson did we first learn of this bruising of Satan’s head? Quote the verse: ________________________________________________________________
8. The everlasting rest of Christ’s kingdom is pictured to us in Revelation 21:4. There we read: "And God shall _____ away all _____ from their ______; and there shall be no more _______, neither _________, nor _________, neither shall there be any more _______; for the former things are passed away."
9. In this catechism book we have learned how that God gives the victory always to His _________.
10. This victory we do not deserve, but God gives it to us in His ________. And the seed of the woman, through whom He gives us the victory over Satan and sin is ________.
Rev. John A. Heys was born on March 16, 1910 in Grand Rapids, MI. He was ordained and installed into the ministry at Hope, Walker, MI in 1941. He later served at Hull, Iowa beginning in 1955. In 1959 he accepted the call to serve the South Holland, IL Protestant Reformed Church. He received and accepted the call to Holland, Michigan Protestant Reformed Church in 1967. He retired from the active ministry in 1980. He entered into glory on February 16, 1998.