1. In vision to His saints God spake:
From out the people one I take,
A mighty leader, true and brave,
Ordained, exalted, strong to save.
2. My chosen servant I appoint,
With holy oil his head anoint;
My hand with him shall still remain,
My arm his strength shall well sustain.
3. No enemy shall him affright,
His adversaries I will smite,
My faithfulness to him will prove,
And nevermore My grace remove.
4. Yea, he shall triumph in My Name,
And great shall be his power and fame,
From sea to sea his mighty hand
Shall hold dominion o'er the land.
5. Thou art my Father, he shall cry,
My God, my rock of refuge high;
My firstborn son shall he be owned,
Above the kings of earth enthroned.
6. For him My mercy shall endure,
My covenant made with him is sure,
His throne and race I will maintain
Forever, while the heavens remain.
7. Should sons of his My laws forsake,
My just commands and statutes break,
Then, though My rod their sins reprove,
My mercy I will not remove.
8. Though they be chastened sore and tried,
My faithfulness shall yet abide;
My plighted word I will not break,
Nor change the promise that I spake.
9. My oath is steadfast, ever sure,
My servant's race shall still endure;
His throne forever firm shall stay
When sun and moon have passed away.
10. On Thy anointed wrath is poured
As if Thy covenant were abhorred;
Thou hast profaned is kingly crown,
His matchless strength is broken down.
11. He is reproached and spoiled of all,
His enemies upon him fall;
His beauty is consumed away,
Forgotten is his kingly sway.
12. Cut off in youth, his sacred name
Is covered now with deepest shame;
How long, O Lord, shall wrath abide?
Thy face forever wilt Thou hide?
13. Think on my life; O lord, take thought;
Hast Thou created man for nought?
What man that lives has power to save
His soul from death, and from the grave?
14. Where are Thy mercies which of old
Were in Thy promises foretold?
Remember, Lord, the bitter shame
Heaped on Thy own anointed's name.
15. Blest be the Lord for evermore,
Whose promise stands from days of yore.
His word is faithful now as then;
Blest be His Name. Amen, Amen.
- Psalter #: 243
- # Stanzas: 15
- Metre: L.M.
- Video: No
- Psalm: 89
- Type: Normal