The following are special highlights of PRC and sister-church news for this Sunday, April 18, the sixteenth Lord's Day of this year 2021.
Today we are privileged and called to gather in worship of our triune God through our Savior Jesus Christ and by the power of His Holy Spirit. May we worship our King in spirit and in truth and give Him the glory due to His name.
Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. ...But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. ~ John 4:21,23,24
- If you are visiting this website and are interested in the PRC, we invite you to join us at any of our services (morning and afternoon/evening). For congregations, locations and times, visit this page.
- Today Rev. C. Griess (First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI) declined the call to Hudsonville PRC.
- Rev. R. Van Overloop (Grace PRC, Standale, MI) is considering the call to Kalamazoo PRC (received April 4).
- The Council of Byron Center PRC has formed a new trio: Rev. R. Barnhill (Peace PRC), Prof. R. Dykstra (PRCA Seminary), and Rev. C. Spronk (Faith PRC). A congregational meeting will be held, D.V., following the evening service of May 2.
- The Consistory of Wingham PRC (Ontario, CA) announces a new trio from which to call a pastor: Revs. R. Barnhill (Peace PRC, Dyer, IN), S. Regnerus (Lynden WA PRC), and N. Langerak (Crete, IL PRC). The congregational meeting is on hold due to increased restrictions in Ontario (see note below).
- Classical appointments and pulpit supply for today in the vacant PRCs: Prof. D.Kuiper and Rev. J.Mahtani in Byron Center PRC; Prof. R.Cammenga and Rev. D.Noorman in Hudsonville PRC; Prof. B.Huizinga and Sem. J.Tan in Kalamazoo PRC; Prof. B.Gritters and Rev. N.Decker in Providence PRC. We thank the Lord for this blessing of our church federation to help one another in this need.
May we also continue to pray for all the needs of these vacant congregations, including Wingham PRC, which cannot receive pulpit supply from the U.S. at this time (pandemic travel restrictions). We have also received word that Ontario is going under strict lockdown orders again starting Monday (for up to 6 weeks), meaning that the church's in-person worship and other meetings will have to be suspended for the time being. May the Lord encourage their hearts during these difficult times and soon open the way for them to gather in person again.
- For those who may still be limited to house worship, whether completely or partially, we invite you to visit the PR churches page and follow the links to the websites where the churches' livestream may be found. Or you may visit the selected audio sermon page and listen to one of your choice there.
- Did you know that...
- Rev. D. Holstege, PRC missionary to the Philippines currently on furlough, is giving regular presentations on that mission work? This from SE-GR PRC today: Next Sunday evening, April 25, we can look forward to having Rev. Daniel Holstege lead us in the evening worship. Immediately following, Rev. will be giving a presentation on his work in the Philippines. Please plan to stay afterward to learn more of the work being performed and encourage our missionaries by showing interest in their endeavors.
PRC DENOMINATIONAL NEWS:
Upcoming pulpit supply for Covenant ERC, Singapore (from First PRC-Holland's bulletin today): The Lord willing, Pastor and Kelly Smidstra will depart for Singapore on Tuesday, April 27, in order to assist our sister church during her time of vacancy. Pastor and Kelly will return on Monday, August 23.
PRC Seminary Notices:
- The seminary completed its twelfth week of the semester last week. Continue to remember the seminary's faculty, students, and staff in your prayers as we approach the final part of the semester.
- Prof. R. Dykstra is in the final weeks of his time serving the Covenant ERC in Singapore. Plans are for him and his wife to depart on May 10.
- With joy the faculty announces that it has licensed student Matthew Koerner (sophomore) to speak a word of edification in the churches. We are grateful for the brother’s progress to this point in his training. All scheduling of Mr. Koerner must be done through the seminary, either by sending a request to the seminary secretary, Miss Sharon Kleyn, or the rector, Prof. R. Cammenga.
- The faculty announces that the internship of Seminarian Marcus Wee will take place this summer and fall (July - December) at Faith PRC (Jenison, MI) under Rev. C. Spronk. Senior student Josiah Tan is preparing to be examined at the 2021 PRC Synod at the request of his home church, Covenant ERC in Singapore.
- The print version of the Fall 2020 issue of the PRTS Journal is now available. The digital copies (pdf & epub) have been posted on the seminary website. Work has now begun on the Spring issue. If you wish to be added to our mailing list, please call or email the seminary.
- For the latest seminary news and information, visit the seminary's website.
- Covenant ERC, Singapore:
- From the "Pastoral Voice" in her bulletin today: Regarding pulpit supply, Prof. and Mrs. Dykstra will be leaving us on 10th May 2021. Rev. and Mrs. Smidstra will be arriving on 29th Apr 2021. Rev Smidstra will continue with the pulpit supply from 16th May 2021. They will return to the US on 23rd Aug. 2021. ...They will have to serve a 14-day SHN upon arrival and do the necessary COVID test before they can join us physically in worship and fellowship.
- The February 2021 (#64) issue of Salt Shakers is available. Be sure to read the varied and profitable articles - especially the young people!
- Covenant PRC, N. Ireland and her Limerick, Ireland mission:
- Rev. A. Stewart continues to minister the Word in person to the saints in Ballymena.
- Read the latest issue of the "Covenant Reformed News" - March 2021!
- Rev. M.McGeown continues to minister the Word in Limerick until he is able to come to the U.S. to serve Providence PRC.
- PRC in the Philippines and her mission work:
- A new Philippine Newsletter was recently released! Read it at the link provided here.
- From Berean PRC in Manila: Rev. V. Ibe will lead us in our worship services today. The live streaming will be available on Berean PRC Facebook page. ...The saints in All of Grace Protestant Reformed Fellowship (AGPRF), Gabaldon, Nueva Ecija will join in our worship services via live streaming available on Berean PRC Facebook page.
- Provident PRC bulletin: Rev. R. Smit led her services today.
- PRCP Seminary News: Online classes are continuing at present.
- The Classis of the PRCP will continue its meeting this afternoon [April 18] here in Provident PRC, the Lord willing, starting at 5:30 p.m.
- A new Philippine Newsletter was recently released! Read it at the link provided here.
- India: This brief update may be given concerning the saints in Vellore with whom Georgetown PRC maintains contact and assists:
With Covid increasing in India again, the English church is meeting virtually for their services and Bible Study. The Vellore PRC (the Tamil congregation) is meeting on the GFH [Grace Foster Home] campus but many join via a Google link. Recently 10 people made confession of faith.....a day of much rejoicing there! The church continues to grow both numerically and in their faith.
- Myanmar: Hope PRC reports through Rev. Titus that things continue to deteriorate in the country after the military coup last month. Let's remember this pastor and his congregation as well as other Christians as they suffer due to the political unrest in that land.
- Rev. R.Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC in Spokane, WA) is currently doing a series on the Gospel according to Mark. Today's message is based on Mark 2:1-12 and titled "Jesus' Authority to Forgive Sins."
- Listen to the broadcast on the station near you, on your favorite podcast (Google Music, Spotify, and iTunes), or visit the links provided here to listen to this program. Have you listened lately?
REFORMED RESOURCES FOR EDIFICATION, EDUCATION, and EVANGELISM:
Are you seeking to learn more about the Protestant Reformed Churches, or to renew your understanding of her teachings? This resource will help you!
- Want to learn more about the doctrines and practices of the PRC? Or, are you in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing? Or are you simply interested in growing in your faith and walk with the Lord? Visit the Resources pages of this website and the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
- Do you need some catechism materials for use in your church or family? The PRC publishes catechism materials on Bible history and Reformed doctrine, for children of all ages. Visit this page for more information.
- For sound, distinctively Reformed literature on a variety of subjects and for all ages - including church history and Bible study materials - visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association website or stop in at their Jenison (Michigan) location.
This Week's Thought for Contemplation:
It is above all by faith in Christ that believers are enabled —in spite of all the riddles that perplex them —to cling to the conviction that the God who rules the world is the same loving and compassionate Father who in Christ forgave them all their sins, accepted them as his children, and will bequeath to them eternal blessedness. In that case faith in God’s providence is no illusion, but secure and certain; it rests on the revelation of God in Christ and carries within it the conviction that nature is subordinate and serviceable to grace, and the world to the kingdom of God. Thus, through all its tears and suffering, it looks forward with joy to the future. Although the riddles are not resolved, faith in God’s fatherly hand always again arises from the depths and even enables us to boast in afflictions.
~ Herman Bavinck (quoted in Georgetown PRC's bulletin today)