On this October 8, 2017 Lord's Day we note the following news and information from PRC congregations, classes, and mission fields.
- On Oct.1 Cand. Brian Feenstra ACCEPTED the call from Immanuel PRC in Lacombe, AB (Received Sept.3). We rejoice with this servant of the Lord and his family in God's confirmation of the pastoral call and of His provision of a place to begin his ministry.
- Last Sunday, Oct.1, the congregation of Byron Center PRC voted to call Rev. A. Lanning, corrently pastor of the Covenant ERC in Singapore. He plans to answer on Oct.22.
- The Council of Lynden PRC has formed a trio of Rev. B.Huizinga (Hope PRC, Redlands), J.Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC, Dyer, IN) and Cand. S.Regnerus. They plan to call TODAY. *UPDATE: Cand. S. Regnerus has received this call.
- Cand. S. Regnerus continues to consider the call from the congregation of Southwest PRC (Wyoming, MI - received Sept.10). He has up to six weeks to consider this call.
- Following Rev. R. Smit's acceptance of the call to serve as missionary to the Philippines last Sunday, the Council of First PRC (Grand Rapids, MI) announces these arrangements found in First's bulletin this week:
- The consistory approved that Rev. Smit preach his farewell sermon on October 22 in the evening service. Because Rev. Smit will be in Singapore and the Philippines on pre-scheduled work for the Contact Committee from October 25 to November 13, Rev. Smit’s installation in the Doon PRC (Doon, Iowa) as foreign missionary to the Philippines has been approved and scheduled for Sunday, November 26, in the Doon PRC in the a.m. service. May our heavenly Father abundantly bless and provide for the Smit family during their time of transition.
- On August 27 Candidate Justin Smidstra ACCEPTED the call from First PRC of Holland MI, declining the call from Southwest PRC. He will be examined, D.V., at a special meeting of Classis East in Georgetown PRC on October 18.
- On August 13 Candidate Joe Holstege ACCEPTED the call to Zion PRC. He will be examined, D.V., at a special meeting of Classis East in Georgetown PRC on October 18. The Council of Zion has also made arrangements for his ordination/installation: "The Lord willing, a worship service will be held in Faith PR Church on Friday, October 20, at 7:00 p.m. for the ordination and installation of Minister-elect Joseph Holstege into the ministry of the word and sacraments in Zion PR Church. The worship service will be live-streamed over Faith’s website.
- Ordained and installed on Sept.29, Rev. Matt DeBoer has now begun his ministry in Edgerton (MN) PRC.
- Candidates Jon Langerak and David Noorman are both assisting pastors and congregations in the Grand Rapids area (Georgetown PRC and Hudsonville PRC, respectively) while they wait for calls.
DENOMINATIONAL and SISTER CHURCH NEWS:
CLASSIS EAST will meet in special session on Wednesday, Oct.18, at Georgetown PRC for the purpose of examining Pastors-elect J. Holstege (Zion PRC, Hudsonville, MI) and J. Smidstra (First PRC, Holland, MI).
- Our sister church in Singapore, Covenant Evangelical Reformed Church, recently celebrated her 30th anniversary as a congregation. Mrs. Stephanie Lanning did a special post about this on her blog, "Stories from Singapore." Below are a few pictures from this significant milestone in our sister's history. We congratulate her and pray that she may continue to be a true shining light of Reformed gospel in the Far East.
The congregation of CERC on her 30th anniversary.
The session of the CERC on the occasion of her 30th anniversary.
- If you wish to see pictures of the recent Seniors' Retreat held at Gull Lake in Michigan, sponsored by Grandville and First PRCs (Holland), visit the bulletin page for this link: 2017 Seniors' Retreat Pictures - Gull Lake, MI (registered users only).
Reformed Book Outlet: Check out the special Reformation resources this month! Many titles to choose from - for adults and children!
- Don't forget to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday! Todays' message by radio pastor Rev. W. Bruinsma is titled "Followers of the Lord", based on 1 Thess.1:6-8.
- NEW RWH Station - The Cornerstone PRC Word and Deed committee has partnered with the Reformed Witness Hour to air their messages on the radio in the Chicago area. Beginning today, September 10, the broadcast can be heard every Sunday at 4:00PM on WYLL 1160AM or on the internet at www.1160hope.com. Please tune in and encourage others to do so as opportunity arises in your personal witnessing.
- On Sept.17 Rev. A. Spriensma was installed as home missionary, having been called by Byron Center PRC.
- On Oct.1 Rev. R. Smit (First PRC, Grand Rapids, MI) ACCEPTED the call of Doon PRC to serve as a third missionary to the Philippines. According to First's bulletin this week, "Rev. Smit’s installation in the Doon PRC (Doon, Iowa) as foreign missionary to the Philippines has been approved and scheduled for Sunday, November 26, in the Doon PRC in the a.m. service."We give thanks to the Lord of the harvest for providing this next foreign missionary for this abundant field of labor.
Rev. L. Trinidad and family, pastor of the Maranatha PRC
- From the bulletin of Provident Christian Church in Marikina, the Philippines we find the following notes concerning our missionaries and their labors today and in this coming week:
Rev. Holstege will lead both of our worship services today and next Sunday, Lord willing. He will also teach Church Order at 10:15. Rev. Kleyn will be at Maranatha PRC today.
Rev. Richard Smit accepted the call to be the third missionary of the PRCA in the Philippines! We rejoice greatly that the Lord has provided another missionary, and even one who is very well acquainted with the Philippines. Rev. Smit labored here from 2009-2015, when his work initially focused on the Berean PRC. Now his work will focus, Lord willing, on the establishment of a seminary. Let us pray that the Lord will be near unto them as they again go through a big change in their life.
- And from the Oct.8 bulletin of the Maranatha PRC in Valanzuela City we learn about these special events:
- Today, our Missionary, Rev. D. Kleyn will lead our first and second services. He will also continue the Lesson #68-70 of the Church Order.
- 7M is scheduled for this Tuesday, October 10, in Provident Village,in Marikina City.
- Rev. Richard Smit announced, last Sunday, his acceptance of the call to serve as a missionary in the Philippines. We rejoice that the Lord has provided another missionary, especially for the sake of establishing a seminary here one day, the Lord willing. We now look forward to the arrival of Rev. & Tricia and their family in the near future, the Lord willing. Let us remember them in prayer as they prepare for this significant move and for their life and work here.
- A delegation of the Contact Committee of the PRCA plans to visit the PRCP in the Philippines (and also the CERC in Singapore) this October and November. The delegation consists of Rev. R. Smit and Elder David Kregel. The visit is part of the sister-church relationship that is being established between the PRCP and the PRCA. The delegation hopes to be in the Philippines from October 26 through November 6, the Lord willing.
- A Reformation Day Conference is being planned for Tuesday, October 31. The theme is “Reformation 500: The Anniversary.” The speakers will be Rev. Holstege, Rev. Kleyn, and Rev. Smit. The conference will be held in Provident Village in Marikina, starting at 8:00 a.m. Registration is Php 50 per person. All are welcome. Please plan to attend, and please invite others to attend, too. A sign-up sheet will be available soon. [cf. flyer below]
Let's remember these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines in our prayers daily. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace for all their labors.