On this forty-first Lord's Day of 2019, October 13, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be noted.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “It is God's making Himself little which is the cause of our being made great. We are so little, that if God should manifest His greatness without condescension, we should be trampled under His feet; but God, who must stoop to view the skies, and bow to see what angels do, turns His eye yet lower, and looks to the lowly and contrite, and makes them great. … David ascribes all his own greatness to the condescending goodness of his Father in heaven. … How marvelous has been our experience of God's gentleness! How gentle have been His corrections! How gentle His forbearance! How gentle His teachings! How gentle His drawings! Meditate upon this theme, O believer. Let gratitude be awakened; let humility be deepened; let love be quickened ere thou fallest asleep tonight." ~ Charles H. Spurgeon
- Today Rev. R. Kleyn (Covenant of Grace PRC, Spokane, WA) declined the call from Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB).
- Last Sunday Grandville PRC voted to extend a call to Rev. J. Mahtani to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. We include him and his family in our prayers as he weighs this call.
- Our Canadian churches will be celebrating their national Thanksgiving Day tomorrow, October 14, with a special morning worship service. "Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Ps.106:1
- Special notice from First PRC-Grand Rapids, MI: Mexico City Presentation: Sunday evening, October 20, at First PRC (GR) there will be a presentation on the work that took place in the Mexico City area this past summer. The presentation will begin at 7:15 PM. All in the area are invited to attend.
- From the bulletin of the new daughter church of Byron Center PRC comes this significant notice: "At a [recent] council meeting, our mother church set the date for Unity PRC organizational service for Wednesday, October 30 at 7pm at BC PRC. After our organization, there will also be a congregational meeting at which elders and deacons for Unity PRC will be elected, the Lord willing."
- Georgetown PRC is celebrating her 25th anniversary this year. This note is found in her bulletin about that upcoming celebration: "25th Anniversary and Church Picnic is planned for Saturday, October 26. Join us for breakfast at Heritage Christian School! Our theme is, “Thanking God For Our Treasured Heritage”. The following Sunday, we will have special sermons by Rev. R. VanOverloop for our morning service and Rev. Haak for our evening service on Psalm 16: 5,6 and 8,9. Please plan to attend as we have so much to be thankful for!"
- Pictures taken at the recent Seniors' Retreat in Gull Lake, MI (Sept. 2019) may be found in a pdf accessed by registered users on the PRC bulletin page. Thanks to Phil Harbach for providing these.
Reformation Day / Fall Lectures planned by PRC congregations:
- Kalamazoo PRC - October 25: "Many denominations, some even Reformed, are looking at going back to the Roman Catholic Church. Do you know the deepest common bond between them that gives them hope for union? Join us to hear Prof. Barry Gritters speak on: "Evangelicals and Catholics Together? Reconciling the Unreconcilable" on Friday, October 25, at 7:30 pm at Kalamazoo PRC, 4515 Green Acres Dr., Kalamazoo, MI. Refreshments will be served."
- Crete PRC - October 31: "The world around us is becoming increasingly digital; we see many instances of this in society as well as in the church. Digital technology can be used wisely and productively; however, we often do not notice or stop to think about what effects it may be having on our spiritual life. Join us for our fall lecture “Living Wisely in a Digital Age” to be given by Rev. Nate Decker on Thursday, Oct. 31 at Crete Protestant Reformed Church D.V. Rev. Decker will address this topic from a distinct reformed viewpoint and have us consider wisdom in our use of digital media."
- Covenant of Grace PRC (Spokane, WA) - November 1: "Reformation Day Lecture: Prof. R. Dykstra will be here on Friday, November 1, to give a lecture on the subject “Blessed Assurance: Reaffirmed by the Canons of Dort.”
- Heritage PRC (Sioux Falls, SD) - Novemeber 1: "On November 1 at 7:00 p.m. the Reformed Witness Committee is hosting a presentation by Prof. B. Gritters on this subject: "The Sabbath Command: The Law That Christians Love to Keep". This presentation will take place at Hull Protestant Reformed Church (1006 Hayes Ave, Hull, IA). Everyone is encouraged to attend. Bring a friend or family member with you. If you can’t be there in person, you can catch it on SermonAudio.com.
- Pittsburgh PRC - November 1: "Our church is hosting our annual Reformation Day lecture on Friday, November 1st at 7 PM. Rev. Bruinsma will speak on the subject, "Ulrich Zwingli and the Restoration of Preaching." Mark your calendars and invite a friend."
Classis East: Classis East met on Sept.11 at Southwest PRC (Wyoming, MI). For the official public report of the Stated Clerk, visit this special news page about the work and decisions.
Classis West: Classis West met from Sept.25-27 at Calvary PRC in Hull, IA. It will reconvene on Tuesday November 5 to finish its work. For the full, official report of the stated clerk, visit this special news page on this meeting.
Contact Commitee: Revs. C. Griess and C. Spronk along with their wives, and Pete Vander Schaaf and his wife, are currently visiting the BERG in Giessen, Germany on behalf of the Contact Committee of our PRC. They will be gone from September 30 to October 14 (tomorrow).
PRC Seminary News:
- The seminary is now entering its eighth week of the first semester in the new school year, and both faculty and students remain busy with their tasks of teaching and studying. The students are taking mid-term exams in some of the classes. It is also the time of year when our professors deliver special Reformation Day lectures. Continue to pray for them.
- The schedule for the first semester has been posted on the seminary's website. If you are interested in visiting, please contact the seminary.
- Looking for some good Reformed books to read, Bible study materials or seminary publications to use? Come and visit the seminary's bookstore! We have a variety of Bibles, commentaries, and good books - used and new - for our members and friends. And you may also make use of our library - here's the link to our online catalog if you wish to search for something to read or use.
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Nine of our 39 active ministers are 63 years of age and older. The next prospect for seminary graduates in our churches is not for another four years. Then those nine ministers will be 67 and older. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry.
- The finishing touches are being put on the seminary addition and library renovation projects (new archives and offices). More decorating is to be done in the library this week and more work continues on the archives room. The other custom library desks will be finished soon, along with the work area for the archives room. A special display case for archives was installed in the hallway this past week. Final inspection should be soon!
- Be sure to visit the new PRC seminary website! Visit the site and check out the various pages, including the new blog - and sign up to receive seminary news by email!
Provident Christian Church, part of the PRC in the Philippines
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. denHartog and his wife are once again serving the CERC while she is vacant.
- Re the recent call of Grandville PRC: "Last Sunday, Grandville PRC congregation voted to extend the call to Rev Jonathan Mahtani to be the Minister-on-Loan to CERC. Rev Jonathan Mahtani is currently the pastor of Cornerstone PRC, Indiana. He has 3 weeks to consider this call and prayerfully seek God’s will. Do remember to keep Rev Mahtani in your prayers that God will make His will plain to him so that he will give an answer to this call with a clear conviction of his heart. Beloved, trust in our Sovereign God who rules and reigns all things, including our need for a pastor, for the glory of His name. Pray that God will give us patience to wait upon Him to send us the man of His choosing in His perfect timing to be our minister-on-loan."
- Her latest newsletter (August 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC: Rev. V.Ibe is leading the worship services today. He is also scheduled to preach at Kerusso Community Church at 3P.M. today
- Maranatha PRC: Rev. R. Smit is leading her services today.
- Provident CC: "Rev. Kleyn will preach for us in both worship services today, the Lord willing. Rev. Holstege is scheduled to preach once today in the PRC in Bulacan."
- Denominational News:
The Seminary of the PRCP will be having mid-term exams this week (Oct. 15-18).
The PRCP Classis will have their regular meeting on October 31, 2019 at 9:00 in the morning. D. V.
- And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions (bulletins).
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. Stewart is leading the services today.
The CPRC Reformation Day Lecture is planned for Friday, 25 October at 7:30 PM. Rev. Stewart will speak on “William Tyndale: English Bible Translator.”
- Covenant PRC's latest newsletter was received and posted (August 2019).
- A new issue of the Covenant Reformed News" is out! Read the September 2019 issue here.
- The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
Looking for a study Bible or Bible study resources this Fall? Visit the Reformed Book Outlet in downtown Hudsonville!
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer. If you missed the speech at the annual RFPA meeting this past week, visit this link to watch Rev. J. Smidstra's fine talk on "Training Our Children in the Discipline of Reading."
- You can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio! Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- For October to January (2020) the RWH welcomes Rev. W. Bruinsma of our Pittsburgh PRC to the microphone. Today he delivers the message "The Faith of Sarah" based on Hebrews 11:11,12 (or visit the RWH website linked here to listen anytime).
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee:
Have you signed up yet to receive the emailed Reformed Witness Hour (RWH) newsletter? Six times per year, we update you on news about our speakers, program, and online reach, and we share stories from listeners and readers who have been blessed by the RWH, a ministry of the PRC. Please visit http://eepurl.com/gikNsL to sign up for the newsletter.
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The 2019 PRYP's Convention is now history (held Aug.12-16 at Michindoh Conference Center in Hillsdale, MI). Southwest and Providence PRCs hosted this year's event. For pictures and more visit this YouTube channel or the Facebook page. The 2020 PRYP's Convention will be hosted by Georgetown PRC and held at Lake Williamson Christian Center (St. Louis, MO).
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (August 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church. In that connection, BC-PRC's bulletin today had this note: "The Dorr Bible Study meets this Thursday, October 17 at 7:30 PM. We plan to take up our discussion beginning at John 8:31. Please join us and bring friends or neighbors along to the library in Dorr!"
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown is preaching today and will lead the Bible study Tuesday 8 PM in Corbally.
- S. Wales Lecture: Rev. McGeown spoke in Margam Community Centre this past Thursday, 10 October, on “The Development of God’s Covenant (7): Joseph and the Bondage in Egypt.” Remember this witness in your prayers.
- A fresh mission newsletter from the Limerick Reformed Fellowship is now available! The September 2019 edition may be found here.
- The last Philippines mission newsletter was received and posted in July 2019 and may be found on this PRC webpage.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh.
- Richard Smit
- Daniel Holstege
- Immanuel PRC
- Reformed literature
- young people activities
- Martyn McGeown
- Audred Spriensma
- missions and evangelism
- PRC Seminary
- sister church relations
- ministerial calls
- Reformed Book Outlet
- Myanmar missions
- PRC young adult retreats
- India mission work
- Emmanuel Singh
- Rodney Kleyn
- Angus Stewart
- Daniel Kleyn
- Reformation of the 16th century
- Mexico labors