On this forty-fourth Lord's Day of 2019, November 3, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be reported.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "...This, I say, is his comfort, that his heavenly Father so embraces all things under his power—so governs them at will by his nod—so regulates them by his wisdom, that nothing takes place save according to his appointment; that received into his favour, and entrusted to the care of his angels neither fire, nor water, nor sword, can do him harm, except in so far as God their master is pleased to permit. For thus sings the Psalm, “Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust; his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday...” (Ps. 91:2-6). Hence the exulting confidence of the saints, “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? The Lord taketh my part with them that help me.” “Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear.” “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.” (Ps. 118:6; 27:3; 23:4)." ~ J. Calvin, Institutes
- Rev. J. Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC) has been considering the call from Grandvillle PRC (received Oct.6) to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. He plans to answer it today. *The Lord has led Rev. J. Mahtani to accept this call. May the Lord be with him and his family, as well as with Cornerstone PRC and Covenant ERC, as they transition to this new place of labor in the kingdom.
- The Consistory of Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB) has formed a new trio from which to call a pastor: Rev. R. Barnhill (Peace PRC, IN), Rev. H. Bleyenberg (Providence, PRC, MI), and Rev. M. VanderWal (Wingham PRC, ON). The congregation will vote today after the afternoon service. Today Rev. T. Miersma will lead her services. *UPDATE: Rev. R. Barnhill has received this call.
- We welcome to the federation of PRC congregations Unity PRC, the new daughter church of Byron Center PRC organized this past Wednesday, Oct.31. Today she holds her first worship services with Rev. J. Slopsema and Rev. R. Van Overloop leading (meeting at Zion Christian School on the NW side of 76th St. and Byron Center Ave.). From her bulletin today we find this note: "This past week at our organzational meeting of Unity PRC, our officebearers were elected. They are as follows: Elders: Sid Miedema, Bruce Lubbers, Ken Elzinga, Larry Looyenga & Duane Mingerink. Deacons: Phil Doezema, Jason Vandermeulen, Jeff Booth & Rich Sleda. Let us all continue to keep these men in our prayers in the months and years to come! We would also like to thank all of the members of the Daughter Church Steering Committee for your faithful service on this committee. The many meetings and tasks that had to be performed helped pave the way to the organization of Unity Protestant Reformed Church. We give thanks to our Heavenly Father for his blessings and guidance bringing us to this milestone and pray for his continued blessings in the years to come."
Reformation Day / Fall Lectures planned by PRC congregations for this week yet:
- Lynden PRC (WA) - November 8: "The Evangelism Committee is planning a fall lecture that will be given by Prof. Doug Kuiper. The lecture will be about the Swiss Reformation - "Ulrich Zwingli: The First Reformed Reformer." The date of the lecture will be November 8. We look forward to seeing you there!"
- Wingham (ON) PRC - November 8: "The Consistory is holding a Reformation Day Rally on Friday, November 8, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Prof. Ron Cammenga will be speaking on the topic, “What was the Reformation?”
Classis West: Classis West met from Sept.25-27 at Calvary PRC in Hull, IA. It will reconvene this week Tuesday November 5 at Calvary PRC to finish its work. May the Lord give wise guidance to the delegates as they carry on their important work. For the full, official report of the stated clerk, visit this special news page on this meeting.
PRC Seminary News:
- The seminary is now entering its eleventh week of the first semester in the new school year, and faculty, students, and staff stay busy with their various tasks. This past Thursday and Friday (Oct.31-Nov.1) was the semester's annual "reading recess." This is also the time of year when our professors deliver special Reformation Day lectures (see the special Reformation lecture section above). Soon the second round of practice preaching will be held (Nov.18). Continue to include the seminary in your regular prayers.
- The schedule for the first semester has been posted on the seminary's website. If you are interested in visiting, please contact the seminary.
- The Fall 2019 issue of the PRT Journal is being put together and should be available in late November. Watch for articles based on presentations given in Mexico this past summer and plenty of book reviews.
- Looking for some good Reformed books to read, Bible study materials or seminary publications to use? Come and visit the seminary's bookstore! We have a variety of Bibles, commentaries, and good books - used and new (including Reformation titles!) - for our members and friends. And you may also make use of our library - here's the link to our online catalog if you wish to search for something to read or use.
- Remember the Seminary's Dordt400 Conference in April of this year? The speeches and presentations given at this event have now been compiled, expanded, and edited (by Prof. R. Cammenga) and form the newly published RFPA book, For God's Glory and the Church's Consolation: 400 Years of the Synod of Dordt. Visit the website to order your copy, or come to the seminary bookstore to find one!
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry. If you wish to listen to a couple of sermons by our professors that address this need, listen to "The (Suffering) Minister's Steadfast Confession" and "The Beautiful Feet of the Gospel Preacher."
- The finishing touches are being put on the seminary addition and library renovation projects (new archives and offices). More of the wall accents were hung recently in the library and work continues in the archives room (fire alarm and suppression systems). The other custom library desks and magazine kiosks will be finished soon, along with the work area for the archives room. Final inspections are taking place and then the PRC archives can be moved into their new home.
- For more seminary news and information visit the PRC seminary website!
*For the latest issue - October 2019 - see note below
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. Stewart led the services today. This note we find in Limerick RF's bulletin today: "Rev Stewart and Elder Ivan Reid will be conducting family visitation in Limerick this Thursday to Saturday (7-9 November). ...Next Sunday (10 November) Rev Stewart will preach in Limerick, while our pastor preaches in Ballymena."
- The CPRC Reformation Day Lecture was held Friday, 25 October at 7:30 PM. Rev. Stewart spoke on “William Tyndale: English Bible Translator.”
- Covenant PRC's latest newsletter was received and posted (August 2019).
- A new issue of the "Covenant Reformed News" is out! Read the October 2019 issue here.
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. denHartog and his wife are once again serving the CERC while she is vacant.
- Re the recent call of Grandville PRC: "In 24 hours’ time, God will make known His will concerning whether He has called Rev Jonathan Mahtani to be the MOL of CERC. May our earnest prayers be that the call for Rev Mahtani be answered according to the good pleasure and sovereign will of our loving Father who knows all our needs even before we present them to His throne of grace." *The Lord has led Rev. J. Mahtani to accept this call. We rejoice with our sister in this gracious provision of our Lord.
- And about her annual Reformation celebration we find this: "This year Reformation Day Conference will be held on 9 Nov 2019 from 9.30am to 3.30pm. Rev den Hartog will be speaking on the Theme “Personal, Practical, Profitable: The other work of the Synod of Dort”. We encourage you to invite your friends and families to come and hear the great reformation of the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ."
- In connection with that event, we learn this from today's bulletin: "God willing, our missionary pastor and his wife, Rev Singh and Sonali, will be arriving in Singapore on 7 Nov 2019 to attend the Reformation Day Conference. Rev Singh will also be providing an update on his work in Kolkata mission field next Sunday at 11.30 am, after the morning service. Please extend our warm christian fellowship and love to Rev Singh and Sonali during their one-week visit in Singapore."
- *Her latest newsletter (October 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC: Rev. V. Ibe is leading the worship services today.
- Maranatha PRC: "Rev. L. Trinidad will lead us in both services. He will teach us the Canons of Dordt."
- Provident CC: "Rev. Holstege will preach for us today."
- Denominational News:
The PRCP Classis held their regular meeting this past Wednesday October 31, 2019 at Provident CC, D.V. "The Classis regular meeting is in “Recess” and will continue on November 30, 2019 and still our venue is at Provident PRC, Marikina City. A number of accomplishment done by the Classis was to expand the two Standing Committees into four Standing Committees, namely; 1 - Student Seminary Training, Student Aid, 2 - Contact with other Churches and Missions, 3 - Finance, Emeritus, 4 - Translation and Publication with the involvement of our three Missionaries to serve the committees as Advisors of the Classis, Standing Committees and Church Visitations with a goal of lightening the work load of the previous committees and involved other church officers as the Federation obey the calling of the Lord to go into the highways and gather all together as many as we found.. Let us pray that our Jehovah will give the delegates knowledge and understanding in the other matters to be discussed in the next meeting."
A new mission newsletter was published and distributed this month. You may find that October 2019 update here.
And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions.
- The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
New from the RFPA! Commemorate the Synod of Dordt's 400th anniversary with this collection of essays. Available now!
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
Looking for a study Bible or Bible study resources this Fall? Visit the Reformed Book Outlet in downtown Hudsonville! The bookstore has plenty of other good reading materials too, as well as music and cards.
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer.
- Did you know you can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio? Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- For October to January (2020) the RWH welcomes Rev. W. Bruinsma of our Pittsburgh PRC to the microphone. He is doing a series on women in the Bible. Today he delivers the message "Miriam's Lamentable Fall" based on Numbers 12. Listen to the broadcast on the station near you or visit the links provided here to listen to this program.
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee:
Did you read our latest newsletters - October 2019? Have you signed up yet to receive the emailed Reformed Witness Hour (RWH) newsletter? Six times per year, we update you on news about our speakers, program, and online reach, and we share stories from listeners and readers who have been blessed by the RWH, a ministry of the PRC. Please visit http://eepurl.com/gikNsL to sign up for the newsletter.
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
Want to know how to date with a view to marriage God's way and not the culture's? Read this new title from the RFPA and Rev. J. Engelsma!
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- The 2020 PRYP's Convention will be hosted by Georgetown PRC and held at Lake Williamson Christian Center (St. Louis, MO).
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (August 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church.
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown is preaching today and will lead the Bible study Tuesday 8 PM in Corbally. Next week he and Rev. A. Stewart will exchange pulpits.
- From today's bulletin: "Lecture on “The Canon of Sacred Scripture” on Saturday 23 November in Limerick."
- The latest mission newsletter from the Limerick Reformed Fellowship is now available! The September 2019 edition may be found here.
- From today's Maranatha PRC bulletin: "Let us pray for Rev. D. Kleyn, our Missionary as he labors in Sipalay, Negros Occidental."
- There is a brand new Philippines mission newsletter to read! The October 2019 issue is now available.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh. From CERCS's bulletin today we find this relevant note: "God willing, our missionary pastor and his wife, Rev Singh and Sonali, will be arriving in Singapore on 7 Nov 2019 to attend the Reformation Day Conference. Rev Singh will also be providing an update on his work in Kolkata mission field next Sunday at 11.30 am, after the morning service. Please extend our warm christian fellowship and love to Rev Singh and Sonali during their one-week visit in Singapore."
- Reformation of the 16th century
- Daniel Kleyn
- Angus Stewart
- Emmanuel Singh
- India mission work
- PRC young adult retreats
- Myanmar missions
- Reformed Book Outlet
- ministerial calls
- sister church relations
- PRC Seminary
- missions and evangelism
- Audred Spriensma
- Martyn McGeown
- young people activities
- Reformed literature
- Immanuel PRC
- Daniel Holstege
- Richard Smit
- Jonathan Mahtani