On this forty-fifth Lord's Day of 2019, November 10, the following news and information concerning PRC congregations, the Seminary, sister churches, and mission fields may be reported.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
For mercies, countless as the sands Which daily I receive
From Jesus, my Redeemer’s hands, My soul, what canst thou give?
Alas! from such a heart as mine, What can I bring Him forth?
My best is stained and dyed with sin, My all is nothing worth.
The best return for one like me, So wretched and so poor;
Is from His gifts to draw a plea, And ask Him still for more.
~ John Newton
- Last Sunday, Nov.3, Rev. J. Mahtani (Cornerstone PRC) accepted the call from Grandvillle PRC (received Oct.6) to serve as minister on loan to Covenant ERC in Singapore. May the Lord be with him and his family, as well as with Cornerstone PRC and Covenant ERC, as they transition to this new place of labor in the kingdom.
- On Sunday Nov.3, Rev. R. Barnhill (Peace PRC) received the call from Immanuel PRC (Lacombe, AB). May the Lord give him wisdom to know and do His will.
- Today and next Sunday Rev. J. Engelsma is bringing the Word in Immanuel PRC. Rev. S. Regnerus is leading the services in 1st PRC, Edmonton, AB today and next Sunday.
Classis West: Classis West reconvened this past week Tuesday, Nov.5, at Calvary PRC in Hull, IA (first sessions were Sept.25-27). It was able to finish its work in one day. Those new decisions have been posted with the original report of that classis meeting. For the full, official report of the stated clerk, visit this special news page. We pray that God will bless the decisions reached for the good of the churches.
Contact Committtee: "This week Tuesday - Thursday Pastors W. Bruinsma and K. Koole will attend the meeting of NAPARC in Anaheim, CA. Pastor Koole will preach for us next Sunday, the Lord willing." [Pittsburgh PRC's bulletin]
First dusting of snow this week at the PRC Seminary
PRC Seminary News:
- The seminary is now entering its twelfth week of the first semester in the school year, and faculty, students, and staff remain busy with their various tasks. Soon the second round of practice preaching will be held (Nov.18). Continue to include the seminary in your regular prayers.
- The schedule for the first semester has been posted on the seminary's website. If you are interested in visiting, please contact the seminary.
- The Fall 2019 issue of the PRT Journal is being put together and should be available in late November. Watch for articles based on presentations given in Mexico this past summer and plenty of book reviews.
- Looking for some good Reformed books to read, Bible study materials or seminary publications to use, or perhaps some gifts for the holiday season? Come and visit the seminary's bookstore! We have a variety of Bibles, commentaries, and good books - used and new (including Reformation titles!) - for our members and friends. And you may also make use of our library - here's the link to our online catalog if you wish to search for something to read or use.
- Remember the Seminary's Dordt400 Conference in April of this year? The speeches and presentations given at this event have now been compiled, expanded, and edited (by Prof. R. Cammenga) and form the newly published RFPA book, For God's Glory and the Church's Consolation: 400 Years of the Synod of Dordt. Visit the website to order your copy, or come to the seminary bookstore to find one!
- Need for Ministers: Synod 2019 took a decision to place the urgent need for seminary students before our churches. Please remember in your prayers to petition the Lord of the harvest for pastors, and please encourage young men, whom you observe to have the gifts, to consider the ministry. If you wish to listen to a couple of sermons by our professors that address this need, listen to "The (Suffering) Minister's Steadfast Confession" and "The Beautiful Feet of the Gospel Preacher."
- For more seminary news and information visit the PRC seminary website!
- Concerning our sister church in Ballymena, N. Ireland, Covenant PRC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. Stewart and Rev. M. McGeown are swapping pulpits today due to family visitation in Limerick this past Thursday to Saturday (7-9 November).
- Covenant PRC's latest newsletter was received and posted (August 2019).
- A new issue of the "Covenant Reformed News" is out! Read the October 2019 issue here.
- Concerning our sister church in Singapore, Covenant ERC, we may note the following:
- Rev. A. denHartog and his wife are once again serving the CERC while she is vacant.
- Re the news of Rev. J. Mahtani's acceptance of the call to serve them: "Indeed, we are thankful to God for He has heard our prayers and answered it in His mercy. The Lord has made it clear to His servant, Rev Mahtani that he is to labour in Singapore, for he has been chosen by our gracious God to be our Minister on loan. We are very thankful to God for giving us the minister. Now that we have a minister to labour in our midst, we must not forget Cornerstone Protestant Reformed Church, which Rev Mahtani was the Pastor, now she is without one. Do keep our brothers and sisters in Christ in your prayers that God will care for them and grant them a pastor of their own soon."
- This past weeekend was her annual Reformation celebration. Rev den Hartog spoke on the Theme “Personal, Practical, Profitable: The other work of the Synod of Dort”.
- Her latest newsletter (October 2019) - Reformed News Asia - was posted recently posted and may be found on this page.
- Concerning the PRC in the Philippines, we may note the following from the bulletins of the Berean PRC, PRC in Bulacan, Maranatha PRC, and Provident CC:
- Berean PRC: Rev. V. Ibe is leading the worship services today. "Our pastor is also scheduled to preach at Kerusso Community church today at 3 P.M., the Lord willing."
- Maranatha PRC: "Rev. R. Smit , our Missionary will lead us in both services. He will continue teaching the Belgic Confession Lesson 26. D.V."
- Provident CC: "Rev. Holstege will preach both times today."
- Denominational News:
The PRCP Classis held their regular meeting on Wednesday October 31, 2019 at Provident CC: "The Classis regular meeting is in “Recess” and will continue on November 30, 2019 and still our venue is at Provident PRC, Marikina City. A number of accomplishment done by the Classis was to expand the two Standing Committees into four Standing Committees, namely; 1 - Student Seminary Training, Student Aid, 2 - Contact with other Churches and Missions, 3 - Finance, Emeritus, 4 - Translation and Publication with the involvement of our three Missionaries to serve the committees as Advisors of the Classis, Standing Committees and Church Visitations with a goal of lightening the work load of the previous committees and involved other church officers as the Federation obey the calling of the Lord to go into the highways and gather all together as many as we found.. Let us pray that our Jehovah will give the delegates knowledge and understanding in the other matters to be discussed in the next meeting."
A new mission newsletter was published and distributed this month. You may find that October 2019 update here.
And for more on the life and work of our "sisters" in the Far East read the news under Philippine missions.
- The PRC also has a "corresponding relationship" with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) of Australia. We remember these brothers and sisters in our prayers and labors also.
Did you see the special Reformation issue of the Standard Bearer on the Swiss Reformation, especially in Zurich? Get your copy and subscribe here!
- If you are in need of some pamphlets and/or articles published by the PRC for use in evangelism and/or witnessing, visit the PRCA Evangelism page for a complete list of materials available in digital format or by order from the publishing church.
Looking for a study Bible or Bible study resources this Fall? What about ideas for the holiday season? Visit the Reformed Book Outlet in downtown Hudsonville! The bookstore has plenty of other good reading materials too, as well as music and cards.
- Do you have an interest in good Reformed literature and a solid Reformed and biblical magazine? Visit the Reformed Free Publishing Association's website (www.rfpa.org), where you will find information on books in all major Christian categories, as well as on the bi-monthly periodical, the Standard Bearer. Don't forget that these books and magazine make for great gifts!
- Did you know you can now listen to the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dordt on audio? Visit the links provided to hear the Catechism, the Confession, and the Canons. It's another excellent way to learn the Reformed faith and memorize these Reformed creeds.
- Remember to listen to the Reformed Witness Hour each Sunday - on a radio station near you or on Sermonaudio wherever you are!
- For October to January (2020) the RWH welcomes Rev. W. Bruinsma of our Pittsburgh PRC to the microphone. He is doing a series on women in the Bible. Today he delivers the message "The Faith of Rahab" based on Hebrews 11:31. Listen to the broadcast on the station near you or visit the links provided here to listen to this program.
From the Reformed Witness Hour Committee:
Did you read our latest newsletters - October 2019? Have you signed up yet to receive the emailed Reformed Witness Hour (RWH) newsletter? Six times per year, we update you on news about our speakers, program, and online reach, and we share stories from listeners and readers who have been blessed by the RWH, a ministry of the PRC. Please visit http://eepurl.com/gikNsL to sign up for the newsletter.
A new Spanish edition of the RWH has been produced and may be found on this YouTube channel (PRC Espanol). Why not check it out - and help spread the word!
Are you a regular reader of the Beacon Lights?
ESPECIALLY FOR PRC Young People and Young Adults:
- Please make note of next year's Protestant Reformed Young People's Convention date and location to be hosted by Georgetown PRC. The convention will be held Aug 10-14, 2020 at the Lake Williamson Camp in Carlinville, IL. Visit prcconvention.com for more information. Chaperone registration will open January 1, and conventioneer registration opens March 15.
- The latest young peoples' magazine of Covenant ERC in Singapore, Salt Shakers, was received and posted (August 2019 - cf. image above). Check that out on this page.
Albuera, Leyte mission group during a preaching service (*see note below).
PRC MISSION NEWS:
- Remember in prayer our home missionary, Rev. A. Spriensma, who continues to labor in the West Michigan area and beyond through Byron Center PRC, the calling church.
- Limerick Reformed Fellowship News:
- Rev. M. McGeown and Rev. A. Stewart are exchanging pulpits today due to Covenant PRC's family visitation in Limerick RF.
- From today's bulletin: "Lecture on “The Canon of Sacred Scripture” on Saturday 23 November in Limerick."
- The latest mission newsletter from the Limerick Reformed Fellowship is now available! The September 2019 edition may be found here.
- From today's Berean PRC bulletin: "Elder Herbert Espiritu is scheduled to lead our brothers and sisters in Gabaldon, Nueva Ecija in their worship service today. We pray for God’s continued blessings as they hear and receive the proclamation of His Word!" *And this: "Rev. John Flores and Elder Eric Mescallado are visiting with the saints in Albuera, Leyte. Rev. Flores is scheduled to preach for them in both of their worship services today. May God grant the richness of His grace upon their lives as they hear His voice in the preaching of His Word!"
- There is a brand new Philippines mission newsletter to read! The October 2019 issue is now available.
- For more on life and activities in the Philippines from the personal perspective of the missionary's, visit the Kleyn's blog, the Holstege's, and the Smits!
Let us continue in prayer to the Lord for the fulfillment of the needs of these busy pastors and missionaries in the Philippines. May the Lord of the harvest give them grace to be faithful and encouraged in all their labors.
- Let us remember to pray for the Lord's blessing on Georgetown PRC's labor in Vellore, India.
- And we remember our sister church's work (Covenant ERC in Singapore) in Kolkata, through Rev. E. Singh. From CERCS's bulletin today we find this relevant note: "Today we welcome Rev Emmanuel Singh and his wife, Sonali to worship with us. Rev Singh and Sonali will be in Singapore until 14 Nov 2019. ...Kolkata will be having their Annual Bible Camp from 24 - 26 Jan 2020. Rev Andy Lanning will be the Camp Speaker."
- Jonathan Mahtani
- Richard Smit
- Daniel Holstege
- Immanuel PRC
- Reformed literature
- young people activities
- Martyn McGeown
- Audred Spriensma
- missions and evangelism
- PRC Seminary
- sister church relations
- ministerial calls
- Reformed Book Outlet
- Myanmar missions
- PRC young adult retreats
- India mission work
- Emmanuel Singh
- Angus Stewart
- Daniel Kleyn
- Reformation of the 16th century